How bad is Easter/Spring Break at WDW?

anaitis4

My family of 3 (me, the hubs, and our 6-year old daughter) will be taking our very first trip to WDW the last week of March. We will actually arrive on Easter day. Due to my husband's business and my daughter's school schedule this was the only week we could go, but I've heard that the crowds around Easter-time/spring break are intense.

We have already booked ADRs and FastPasses and i've read up on smart touring plans for high crowd days so I THINK we are somewhat prepared, but I'm still a bit nervous about exactly how many people we can expect to be in the parks, wait times for rides and meals, etc. I'm also slightly worried about the possibility of getting separated from my kid in the huge crowds.

Has anyone been at that time that can give me some insight on what to expect from the crowd levels? Any tips for dealing with high-volume crowds at WDW (especially with a 6-year-old)? If the crowds are really big, would it be better to drive ourselves to the parks or still take the buses (I'm worried about long waits to catch a bus)?

Thanks for your help!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Welcome aboard

Bad is a relative term, its a comparison of what you're used to. If you've never been to WDW then you're going to find lots of people there. In terms of Disney, the Christmas / New Year period is the busiest. Easter is up there but quiet by comparison.

We've been at Easter time on three of our trips. Book your ADRs and your FP as soon as you're able. Check and re-check park hours and plan your days carefully. With a 6 yr old I would suggest that your best plan of attack would be arrive for rope drop and do what you can until early afternoon. Then return to your resort until early evening for parades and fireworks (depends what time bed time is)

As for the car - we never use the car while staying at a WDW resort. Buses are frequent and mean everyone gets a break

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Easter and spring break aren't really the same thing. Easter is quite bad, especially around the weekend itself. True "spring break," which is generally later in April, is lighter because different schools and different parts of the country are off at different times so it's spread over a few weeks. As @CAPTAIN HOOK said, it's nowhere near as bad as Christmas.

I'd make the decision on whether or not to get a car based on where you're staying and whether you plan to leave property more than how crowded it's going to be. If you plan on eating at restaurants at hotels other than the one in which you're staying, a car might be worth it because resort-to-resort transportation is the most inefficient at WDW. Resort-to-park and park-to-resort transportation is just fine.

Upvote 0

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
We went March 21st through March 30th, 2015 (keeping in mind that Easter was April 5th that year) and I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Most of the E-tickets averaged about 60 minutes with most of the D- and C- ticket attractions averaging about 15-30 minutes. It's really not any worse than you would see at any major amusement park in the country on a normal weekend day. If anything, I really liked going that week because I thought the weather was amazing and it felt like they had everything well staffed and ready to go. I think with Disney, you just need to be flexible. We relied heavily on the MDE app because you could see right away where the short lines were and you could keep an eye on the more desirable attractions for when the lines at those got a bit shorter. We'd definitely choose to go around that time again!

As for getting separated, only time you might come close to that would be during hustle and bustle after the fireworks. Midways around all four parks were quite open and passable when we went.. but right after the fireworks if you're on or around Main Street, hold tight to your little one(s)!

As for buses... we stayed at Coronado and never had an issue with crowded/over crowded buses. Only time when the buses got tight at all were if we were leaving the park right after the fireworks. If you can wait, stick around the park 30-60 minutes after the fireworks end and you'll probably find that the buses are much more open at that time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

We'll be there again for Easter. (Some days before and after) You have already conquered the biggest hurdle by actually realizing it's going to be busy. You know that there will be lots of people. You have your ADR's and Fast Passes so you are all set there. You'll experience long wait times on any popular rides but that is going to happen at most times during the year. If you do rope drop or late nights, those times will be lower. I still worry about my kids and they are 14 and 11 but just keep them right in front of you or hold their hand. WDW is the place to have fun with your family and not have to worry about each step you take.
As far as a car goes, I think the busses will be fine. If you have to wait for the second one you'll be okay because in all honesty you may have to wait for the 2nd or 3rd tram to get from the lot to the park and vice versa. I agree with others that Christmas is much more crowded than Easter time because spring breaks across the country vary where as Christmas holiday is more consistent for everyone. Have fun! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

MRGEFF

Good info from both Captain Hook and DisDadWoz. Already having your ADRs and FPs is a great start. Just remember to take deep breaths, relax, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the Magic. Welcome to WDWMagic.

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

xRF9Vyh.gif

That is all.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Welcome aboard

Bad is a relative term, its a comparison of what you're used to. If you've never been to WDW then you're going to find lots of people there. In terms of Disney, the Christmas / New Year period is the busiest. Easter is up there but quiet by comparison.

We've been at Easter time on three of our trips. Book your ADRs and your FP as soon as you're able. Check and re-check park hours and plan your days carefully. With a 6 yr old I would suggest that your best plan of attack would be arrive for rope drop and do what you can until early afternoon. Then return to your resort until early evening for parades and fireworks (depends what time bed time is)

As for the car - we never use the car while staying at a WDW resort. Buses are frequent and mean everyone gets a break

I second every bit of this advice! We've visited at Easter several times (granted, it was 10 and more years ago), and as long as you tour in an informed and efficient manner (make use of EMH, FP+, and rope drop arrivals), you'll be in good shape. Yes, the crowds in common areas and walkways and around parades/fireworks will be astonishingly heavy -- at times, you'll feel like a salmon swimming upstream -- but that's often the case even at lower-crowd times of year. Like most things, it all comes down to attitude, and if you relax, go with the flow and commit to having a good time, you will. :)

As Captain Hook indicated, with a small child, it's important to take a midday nap break (as well as frequent potty breaks, snack breaks, etc.). All you'll miss is the worst crowds, longest lines and warmest temperatures of the day, and you'll all stay refreshed. Also, to the extent that you can preserve your daughter's typical waking/sleeping schedule as much as possible (hopefully the afternoon nap will buy you a couple of extra hours in the evening), that will help. Depending on your daughter's attention span, you might also have some kind of portable form of amusement (whether an electronic device, or just something like a spontaneous "guess what animal I'm thinking of by asking yes/no questions" game), to employ in longer lines.

Upvote 0

anaitis4

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice everyone! My daughter has refused to nap since she was 3 years old, so that probably won't happen, but we will definitely take mid-day breaks. :)

Upvote 0

Lexi

Easter and Passover also do not line up this year, which should be in your favor since only Catholic schools will be off for spring break. Public schools will most likely only be off for Good Friday -- at least that's how it works in NY/NJ.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

I hate busy time. I don't have kids, but when I do I'll have no problem taking them off season. Make your kids go to school throughout the year then taking a week off for a trip like Disney is worth it. As for that time of the year it's awful. Long lines, flights more expensive, etc. the flower and garden festival is beautiful. But we go in April or May to avoid the spring break crowds.

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

Sounds like you took the first big steps of planning. I would try to book FP's for the busiest times of the day (when attraction lines are longest). Teach your child she can go to any cast member if she gets lost or scared. I would plan fireworks/parades for the least crowded day and avoid the areas afterwards on crowded days. (It was quite clostrophobic the Saturday of memorial day weekend, I had never been in that dense of a crowd and I hope never again).

Upvote 0

rob0519

I may have to be in Tampa on family business somewhere between March 9 and March 20. I would like to hit the MK for two days, maybe 3 during that time. With Easter being so early this year, 3/27, when are the big Spring Break crowds due this year? How heavy do you think the crowds may be during that 10 day period? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Seanual757

We stay every year during Spring Break this year will be no different (March 20-26) @ The VGF. It’s not all that bad we have our fast passes booked we will spend a few hours at the park and head back to the hotel to swim. We have 2 Character breakfasts booked for this trip. We will be going the Easter Egg hunt at Epcot and just relaxing for our week long trip. My wife and I and our 3 kids will enjoy Spring Break at the Mouse House.

The crowds are minor IMHO compared to the July 4th Crowd we have had the past 2-3 years when we go.

Come on down and have fun

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I've never heard anything good about Easter in WDW. I'm just happy Easter is early this year and my kid's April vacation is later in the month. I'm hoping that will have a positive impact on the crowds

Upvote 0

Princess_AmyK

My tip for dealing with a busy times at WDW is to wake up early. This is so very important! No one wants to be at the parks at opening because they figure that they are on vacation and want to relax and sleep in. This makes getting things done so much easier though. If you are willing to wake up early and be there at rope drop then:
1. it will be less hot
2. you will get a lot done by the time the crowds pick up and..
3. you can go back in the afternoon when it is hot and crowded to relax at your hotel until you decide to go back for night time entertainment or dinner.
Going early is really the only way to do busy times at WDW. If you wait until the afternoon to make it to the parks, then it can be nearly impossible to get things done. Even with fast passes.

Upvote 0

UpAllNight

Can anyone advise on what experience to expect in May and how it differs from June.

Coming from the Uk so any info on crowds, wait times, park hours, weather would be appreciated. We loved June last year but were advised by more than a few locals to book may next time.

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

Can anyone advise on what experience to expect in May and how it differs from June.

Coming from the Uk so any info on crowds, wait times, park hours, weather would be appreciated. We loved June last year but were advised by more than a few locals to book may next time.
May is one of my fav times here. Flower & Garden is ending (first of May) and crowds are not bad at all. Temps will be getting hot

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom