How bad am I? Just booked a secret trip lol!

Magical.Animal

Ok, so.. I live in MA and some friends of mine live in Charleston, SC.. They are getting married this fall, in SC, and I will be going down for the wedding. It's on a Friday night. My Disney brain couldn't let go that I'd only be a 6-7 hour drive from the most magical place on earth, so today I might have secured a little visit. Somehow I was able to get free dining on a 3 night stay in September. Basically, my plan is to leave SC after the wedding and drive to FL through the night. I suspect I would arrive about 6am Saturday, so I booked the room for Friday night, so I could check in right when I get there and nap a bit and then get up and hit the parks. I figured I would rent a car in SC (since I would need one there regardless of the Disney visit) and drop it off at the car care center and have them bring me to my hotel and then use Disney transit the rest of the trip. We will just fly home Monday from MCO.

So.... To my issue.... I haven't told my husband yet that I booked it.... I'm waiting for the right moment. I think I have pretty good justification points tho:
1. Hotel in charleston costs more per night than POFQ
2. Flight home from MCO is not only cheaper than from CHS, it's nonstop.
3. We won't need to pay for a rental for the whole weekend since we can drop it off once we get there
4. Dining is "free" (I know I pay for it either way, but given #1, our food and car in SC would amount to the same or more than our ticket cost, so dining really is free)

He loves Disney as much as me, but whenever I bring it up, I'm reminded of the fact that we are saving for a house and shouldnt vacation. Since I can justify the cost savings, do you think he'll be super upset? What if I wait til his birthday or anniversary to tell him? What if I don't tell him at all and after the wedding just get him in the car and drive til he figures it out? I'm so at odds at what to do!!! Lol! :)

rsoxguy

Ok, so.. I live in MA and some friends of mine live in Charleston, SC.. They are getting married this fall, in SC, and I will be going down for the wedding. It's on a Friday night. My Disney brain couldn't let go that I'd only be a 6-7 hour drive from the most magical place on earth, so today I might have secured a little visit. Somehow I was able to get free dining on a 3 night stay in September. Basically, my plan is to leave SC after the wedding and drive to FL through the night. I suspect I would arrive about 6am Saturday, so I booked the room for Friday night, so I could check in right when I get there and nap a bit and then get up and hit the parks. I figured I would rent a car in SC (since I would need one there regardless of the Disney visit) and drop it off at the car care center and have them bring me to my hotel and then use Disney transit the rest of the trip. We will just fly home Monday from MCO.

So.... To my issue.... I haven't told my husband yet that I booked it.... I'm waiting for the right moment. I think I have pretty good justification points tho:
1. Hotel in charleston costs more per night than POFQ
2. Flight home from MCO is not only cheaper than from CHS, it's nonstop.
3. We won't need to pay for a rental for the whole weekend since we can drop it off once we get there
4. Dining is "free" (I know I pay for it either way, but given #1, our food and car in SC would amount to the same or more than our ticket cost, so dining really is free)

He loves Disney as much as me, but whenever I bring it up, I'm reminded of the fact that we are saving for a house and shouldnt vacation. Since I can justify the cost savings, do you think he'll be super upset? What if I wait til his birthday or anniversary to tell him? What if I don't tell him at all and after the wedding just get him in the car and drive til he figures it out? I'm so at odds at what to do!!! Lol! :)

The couple that works together, stays together. Don't wait until the last minute to tell him. Birthday or anniversary should be fine. Or...just tell him it would mean a lot to you if he would just accept what you did on a whim. That little guilt trip has worked on me. :)

Upvote 0

Goofy6294

I wouldn't tell him on his birthday. It might make him feel like you're stealing some thunder on his day. Were you planning on staying in town after the wedding? If, comparatively speaking, your total cost for the trip to WDW is less that it would have been to stay after the wedding, then he can't use the argument of saving for a house.

Upvote 0

Magical.Animal

Original Poster
I wouldn't tell him on his birthday. It might make him feel like you're stealing some thunder on his day. Were you planning on staying in town after the wedding? If, comparatively speaking, your total cost for the trip to WDW is less that it would have been to stay after the wedding, then he can't use the argument of saving for a house.

Yes. If we don't go to Disney, we would have spent the weekend in Charleston, where hotels seem to be more costly than Boston! I can only guess how much we'd spend on food while there, but a few hundred dollars at least, and with Disney, at least that cost is built in! I think I need to put together a chart to show how this trip doesn't add much more, if any, to the cost :)

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

I think i would tell him sooner rather than later. Have all your points and costs ready to show him. If he like WDW as much as you then it should not be a problem.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Way to go! :sohappy: I can tell you that if my wife told me about this surprise planned trip, no matter how much I might have previously told her why we couldn't do it.....
I'd be jumping up & down with excitement.... I'd be crying tears of joy... I'd be thankful that I had a wife that was so wise and thoughtful.
Tell him now and enjoy planning the other trip details together.

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

What if I don't tell him at all and after the wedding just get him in the car and drive til he figures it out?

That would be such a riot :ROFLOL: Talk about a Kodak moment. From the sounds of it, being a big Disney fan I wouldn't think he'd be upset. Hell, if you were my girlfriend/wife you'd have major brownie points in the bank !!!

As for trying to keep the secret I feel for ya. I once secretly booked a trip for me and my Mom in March of 04 and didn't tell her until Mothers Day. And we were leaving the next week. I gave her a box with the plane tickets in it and she was just looking at them like whaaat ? I had to tell her, look at them very closely. That grin lasted all the way through the trip. Had to be so careful not to tip it off.

By the way, I LOVE your location !!

Upvote 0

Cmoore12282

just a little car rental heads up....i was looking into driving down straight through and dropping the car off at orlando airport, taking ME from there and flying back after. I figured a one day rental would be cheap, however because you are not returning the car to its original location they completely jack the price. It was literally more money for the one day rental then for the entire 8 or 9 days for the whole trip. I thought that might be something you may want to research before you fill out ur lil chart. good luck.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

if you're not sure how to tell the spouse you can always do what i do...wait until he's distracted and start talking about it like it's common knowledge. when my husband looks confused i ask him...and it sounds like this... i say laughingly something like, "really, why do i tell you anything in advance, after 20 years you'd think i'd know better" and we go and we're both happy :rolleyes:.

Upvote 0

Magical.Animal

Original Poster
if you're not sure how to tell the spouse you can always do what i do...wait until he's distracted and start talking about it like it's common knowledge. when my husband looks confused i ask him...and it sounds like this... i say laughingly something like, "really, why do i tell you anything in advance, after 20 years you'd think i'd know better" and we go and we're both happy :rolleyes:.

I LOVE this!!

Upvote 0

Magical.Animal

Original Poster
just a little car rental heads up....i was looking into driving down straight through and dropping the car off at orlando airport, taking ME from there and flying back after. I figured a one day rental would be cheap, however because you are not returning the car to its original location they completely jack the price. It was literally more money for the one day rental then for the entire 8 or 9 days for the whole trip. I thought that might be something you may want to research before you fill out ur lil chart. good luck.

Thanks for the heads up! I did already get quotes, and while it is much cheaper for the car per day in SC, it does still work out cheaper for my 1 day than 4 would have been in SC :)

Upvote 0
Sounds like a great plan....since you're going to be there anyway. Just approach "the reveal" in a way that let's him know how much you are "saving" (wink-wink) with the free dining and the fact that you are already so close, geographically. It just makes sense to go at that time! You'd be spending the money, anyway, while in SC, so why not give it to the mouse? :)

I'm sure right after the ceremony and the introduction of the bride and groom, you'll both be outta there...and heading to WDW. Maybe wait til after the meal...they'll never miss you :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

durangojim

I don't know your situation and I'm not sure if you or your husband or both are the breadwinners in the family, but I would not tell him on his birthday or that it's a gift unless you personally can come up with the money on your own to pay for the whole thing. If you're saving for a house but feel that you can afford to take this short trip, then tell him so and don't surprise him Just be honest and tell him your reasoning. If he's the one that earns most of the money and it's presented to him as a "gift" he might resent the fact that he has to pay for his "gift" that is something that you wanted to do. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom