Housekeeping door knocking at 8am on check-out days - what's going on?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
There’s a new feature being added to MDE that will allow you to click when you’ve left the room on checkout day. It’s testing at Riviera and CBR right now.
It’s live at WL too. I just used it.

EDBA4C64-7319-4A08-849E-10C468856F50.jpeg

2DD7FAD8-A5EA-42A9-884E-5981414CC8E6.jpeg

Chi84

Premium Member
I like the old fashioned way. Do not disturb sign on the door. If all else fails, "Come back in an hour please"
I understand that it can be annoying to have someone knock on your door prior to checkout time, but this suggestion sounds so much better than having a meltdown and getting management involved or being passive-aggressive and waiting silently to see if the housekeeper will open the door. To each his own, I guess.

celluloid

The security checks are kind of wasted labor for security as well. I try to understand and am likely way off base but If they are worried about mental insanity shooting situations they would be better served having that security monitor the window areas looking for suspicious activity, rather than taking the insane amount of time in comparison to knock and inconvenience the guests one at a time.

celluloid

Please tell me you’re not suggesting having security prep into windows in lieu of security checks😳 That’s not creepy or anything!

No. There is no need to be in guest rooms or in windows at all, but the thing they are trying to prevent is typically activity such as the Las Vegas shooter situation. That individual broke open a window to start setting up his shots.

From outside and ground monitoring, this kind of suspicious activity would be noticed. Going in the room for a quick check does not prevent that sort of thing as weapons or anything would just be hidden from view.

More security roaming and monitoring things like someone setting up a tripod on a balcony or breaking a window would be more to the point vs the time-consuming nature of one at a time room checks that would not catch much and ironically likely keep security in a room somewhere else while the thing they are trying to prevent could occur.

Chi84

Premium Member
No. There is no need to be in guest rooms or in windows at all, but the thing they are trying to prevent is typically activity such as the Las Vegas shooter situation. That individual broke open a window to start setting up his shots.

From outside and ground monitoring, this kind of suspicious activity would be noticed. Going in the room for a quick check does not prevent that sort of thing as weapons or anything would just be hidden from view.

More security roaming and monitoring things like someone setting up a tripod on a balcony or breaking a window would be more to the point vs the time-consuming nature of one at a time room checks that would not catch much and ironically likely keep security in a room somewhere else while the thing they are trying to prevent could occur.
From what I read when the room checks started, I thought one of the main things they were trying to prevent was human trafficking. At the time Orlando was one of the leading cities in human trafficking reports. The thinking is that criminals choose the path of least resistance. If they know someone is looking in the rooms every day - even for a cursory check - they're more likely to choose a different location.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

their rooms, they can check them if they want to, for any reason they want to. Every single guest staying at a Disney resort clicked a little box agreeing to this when they booked their reservation.

Naplesgolfer

I bought 4x6 post it notes and used them for our BLT stay last week. I put it out on the door just before bed on the night before check out day, stating our check out time and asking for no disturbance and it worked fine, no knocks. I will be using this from now on.

kalel8145

I bought 4x6 post it notes and used them for our BLT stay last week. I put it out on the door just before bed on the night before check out day, stating our check out time and asking for no disturbance and it worked fine, no knocks. I will be using this from now on.
That's good thinking.

Geek4WDW

We just returned from our trip, while we were napping at like 1pm, there was a knock on day #2 asking to check the toilet, it wasn't house keeping or Maintenace, husband said it looked like management. Some one was in shower at time and we told them to come back. We had the sign on the door. No one came back while we were in the room. My husband thought that was odd. I told him we used the self check in on app and I am guessing they were surveying the room to make sure there were only the 4 of us.

Ayla

We just returned from our trip, while we were napping at like 1pm, there was a knock on day #2 asking to check the toilet, it wasn't house keeping or Maintenace, husband said it looked like management. Some one was in shower at time and we told them to come back. We had the sign on the door. No one came back while we were in the room. My husband thought that was odd. I told him we used the self check in on app and I am guessing they were surveying the room to make sure there were only the 4 of us.
It was the daily "room check" intrusion they've implemented in the last few years.

Diamond Dot

They do have a little fob thing they use to swipe the door when they've done the check, so perhaps they just thought 'what the heck' swiped the fob and moved on.

ladybat2

The first thing they did when this started was replace the “Do not disturb” door hangers with ones that say “room occupied”. My understanding is that is so they make sure to knock first. I don’t think it means they will skip you until later.
So now if we do not want to be disturbed by a knock we have no option but to hope they don't knock? I'll put my own sign out then that I make myself along with the one they provide.

ladybat2

There seems to be a recent practice of knocking on guest room doors a couple of hours before check-out time.

Seeing more and more of this on social media.

I don't mind the knock. If I did not put out the do not disturb sign then its my fault for the knock. BUT if a Mouse keeper knocks and says "time to check out" when its early and way before the check out time of 11AM.... Then I'm not going to be happy about that. I am always good about leaving a tip each day for mouse keeping. If any of them knock on my door and says this to me before the check out time they wont get a tip for that day. The knock I will forgive because its my fault if I did not put the sign out. But no one better tell me its time to vacate a room I paid a pretty penny for before its time to leave it. Pixie dust or not!

ladybat2

This is somewhat related, but anyone know what the deal is with room checks? During a Dec. trip I was getting dressed in my room when there was a knock on my door, when I answered it a CM just barged into my room without asking. I asked her what was going on and she rudely stated a room check. She walked through the room, out to the balcony and then left abruptly. It was really strange.

It happened again on my recent trip staying at the Yacht Club. This time, we were in the park. Our dog was in our room (they are allowed to stay there), and the front desk called us and told us we had to come back so a CM could perform a room check. It was absurd to think a CM was telling us to leave our park day to go to our room so someone could check it.

I’ve been to Disney a million times and have never experienced this before. When we asked the front desk about it, they just said it was standard. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why Disney does this?

BTW, I always put the “Do Not Disturb” sign on my door.
OMG! I've never heard about this before! I would be livid if they did that to me while I was in my room dressing! And made you leave a park to go back to your room so they could check it? OMG!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom