House of the Future - Week 11

PerGron

Alright, so Zerzura is based mainly on Libyan mythology and in every tale is a "white city" meaning that our aesthetic should focus on making things look like they're made of purely white sandstone or whatever other structures we choose. I think we should also use the entrance brought up in Wikipedia where you enter through a valley. I think that'd make an interesting transition from the mountain region nextdoor.

We should use the lake as a sort of "oasis" and have palm trees and whatnot planted around it, with maybe a desert bit behind the city where our E-ticket is

PerGron

I also think that the sleeping King and Queen motif as well as the black giants (let's use this in less of a possible race way and more of actual jet-black stone giants, we can pull from Golems of Arabic and Egyptian belief for this since those beliefs certainly impacted the rest of Northern Africa). Having two jet-black golems standing at the entryway to the land could be a neat visual, plus they could play into the attractions in some way

AceAstro

I also think that the sleeping King and Queen motif as well as the black giants (let's use this in less of a possible race way and more of actual jet-black stone giants, we can pull from Golems of Arabic and Egyptian belief for this since those beliefs certainly impacted the rest of Northern Africa). Having two jet-black golems standing at the entryway to the land could be a neat visual, plus they could play into the attractions in some way
I like this! We could have the pathway loop around the outside with palm trees and a mini oasis looking area on the right side (in between the path and the lake with then the left being the entrance to the land with two large structures on either side to draw guests in when they hit the end of The Passage (would be way too big to miss). Going between these two large structures could lead right to the rest of the land.

PerGron

A few ideas I had, just to throw them out there:

- A peoplemover-style attraction but you’re riding a caravan of camels instead of train cars

- A magic carpet themed roller coaster (no coasters yet!)

- An EMV ride where you’re a part of the Zerzura expedition where you’re in a jeep. Sort of like Indiana Jones but more in tune with the history of the land.

For the animals this land, I think camels should be a mainstay, but since another name for Zerzura is “Oasis of Little Birds” I think a walkthrough aviary of exotic bird species is the way to do it. There aren’t a ton of Sahara species that really warrant a whole walkthrough, but birds and camels make sense thematically

PerGron

So where much of Zerzura is told through one person's account and isn't tied to any one culture's specific beliefs, that gives us a lot more freedom than say, Shambhala did. We can use mythologies from Berber, Egyptian, Arabian, Israeli, and even Italian and Spanish mythologies since all of these cultures have massive impacts on the Sahara region.

This gives us more space to play around with storylines and attractions as well as dining and shopping. I'm going to write up a basic backstory for our version of Zerzura so that we have something to go off of

PerGron

For millennia, the White City of Zerzura remained hidden, deep within the Sahara Desert as it was meant to be. Zerzura was an ethnic amalgamation of cultures and beliefs brought about by the settlers and merchants who built the city. Be it Arabian, Berber, Egyptian, Persian, Israeli, or even Greek, the many men who braved the desert set out to construct the massive white city. Initially built as a great trading port, Zerzura was erected within a desert oasis, one of the few places where rain and water were plentiful, and foliage grew rich and dense.
Each of the cultures brought their own beliefs and practices, many of which were at odds with each other but would eventually homogenize into a singular belief system built upon the tenets of each belief system brought about. With this new belief system, relative peace was brought about to the oasis city, which served as an excellent trading tool. Each person was deemed equal, man, woman, or child, and each had a say in the decisions the city made, creating for the world’s first democracy. The people would elect the leaders, and no king would ever rule over them. This peace lasted for a long time, but eventually, the town of Zerzura heard tell of a series of crusades attempting to reclaim many Arabic nations, and, to preserve themselves from siege or invasion, they closed their borders, building a sizeable siege-resistant wall. This wouldn’t be enough, but eventually, an all-powerful sorcerer wandered up to the city, asking for shelter, and, in turn, he would protect the city from an attack by foreign invaders.
The city agreed, but the sorcerer had tricked them all, casting a massive sandstorm that constructed ravines around the city and sunk it into the ground. He then created golems out of obsidian and had them patrol the city’s walls, keeping anyone who came away. The sorcerer then declared himself King of Zerzura, forcing the merchants of the once great and peaceful city to become laborers and construct his palace atop the city’s former meeting house. He turned the oasis into his private gardens and invited merchants worldwide to bring him birds as a token of peace. Soon, he constructed a massive aviary for his bird collection, a menagerie he determined was fit for a king. Soon, the sorcerer had complete control over all of the people of Zerzura and crushed any insurgencies easily with his magic. Between his powers and his golems, the city was under his thumb when he declared one of the city’s women to become his queen.
The two ruled the city with an iron fist until a traveling merchant eventually stumbled across the sandy ravines and the city’s gates. He asked for passage, granting the gift of a white dove to the king, and was let in. Once in the city’s walls, this merchant began his work, revealing that he too was a sorcerer, one more powerful than the king, who had gotten lazy in his comfort and thus lost his grip on his powers. This new sorcerer could not undo the curse the king had put onto the city to sink it into the desert ravines, but he could put a curse on the king and the queen, one that would put them into a deep and eternal slumber. The king attempted to fight, but the challenge was met with a display of powers never seen by the king, and he was soon defeated, put into an eternal sleep alongside his queen. The people of the city constructed an underground tomb and buried the two tyrants within it. The sorcerer enchanted the two’s coffins with a spell that could only be broken if they were touched by diamond. If diamond ever touched the casket, the king and queen would awaken from their slumber. To prevent this, the tombs were then placed in a chamber of endless catacombs, making it near-impossible to reach without a map of the catacombs, which, for safety, was never produced. The sorcerer was offered a place on the city’s council, but just as quickly as he appeared, he vanished. Inscriptions on the former palace walls, now once again the city meeting house, tell of the great sorcerer who saved the city.
The city became self-reliant, turning the golems into their defenders, and decided to remain hidden to prevent another tyrant from taking over. Every so often, explorers and rangers from the city would wander out into the desert to save those lost, but rarely would people find the city of their own accord. The only known time was when famed explorer Dr. Elrond Pearson discovered it, leaving a piece of his enchanted map for his mentee Dr. Everett Erie. For millennia the city of Zerzura remained hidden, until now...

AceAstro

For millennia, the White City of Zerzura remained hidden, deep within the Sahara Desert as it was meant to be. Zerzura was an ethnic amalgamation of cultures and beliefs brought about by the settlers and merchants who built the city. Be it Arabian, Berber, Egyptian, Persian, Israeli, or even Greek, the many men who braved the desert set out to construct the massive white city. Initially built as a great trading port, Zerzura was erected within a desert oasis, one of the few places where rain and water were plentiful, and foliage grew rich and dense.
Each of the cultures brought their own beliefs and practices, many of which were at odds with each other but would eventually homogenize into a singular belief system built upon the tenets of each belief system brought about. With this new belief system, relative peace was brought about to the oasis city, which served as an excellent trading tool. Each person was deemed equal, man, woman, or child, and each had a say in the decisions the city made, creating for the world’s first democracy. The people would elect the leaders, and no king would ever rule over them. This peace lasted for a long time, but eventually, the town of Zerzura heard tell of a series of crusades attempting to reclaim many Arabic nations, and, to preserve themselves from siege or invasion, they closed their borders, building a sizeable siege-resistant wall. This wouldn’t be enough, but eventually, an all-powerful sorcerer wandered up to the city, asking for shelter, and, in turn, he would protect the city from an attack by foreign invaders.
The city agreed, but the sorcerer had tricked them all, casting a massive sandstorm that constructed ravines around the city and sunk it into the ground. He then created golems out of obsidian and had them patrol the city’s walls, keeping anyone who came away. The sorcerer then declared himself King of Zerzura, forcing the merchants of the once great and peaceful city to become laborers and construct his palace atop the city’s former meeting house. He turned the oasis into his private gardens and invited merchants worldwide to bring him birds as a token of peace. Soon, he constructed a massive aviary for his bird collection, a menagerie he determined was fit for a king. Soon, the sorcerer had complete control over all of the people of Zerzura and crushed any insurgencies easily with his magic. Between his powers and his golems, the city was under his thumb when he declared one of the city’s women to become his queen.
The two ruled the city with an iron fist until a traveling merchant eventually stumbled across the sandy ravines and the city’s gates. He asked for passage, granting the gift of a white dove to the king, and was let in. Once in the city’s walls, this merchant began his work, revealing that he too was a sorcerer, one more powerful than the king, who had gotten lazy in his comfort and thus lost his grip on his powers. This new sorcerer could not undo the curse the king had put onto the city to sink it into the desert ravines, but he could put a curse on the king and the queen, one that would put them into a deep and eternal slumber. The king attempted to fight, but the challenge was met with a display of powers never seen by the king, and he was soon defeated, put into an eternal sleep alongside his queen. The people of the city constructed an underground tomb and buried the two tyrants within it. The sorcerer enchanted the two’s coffins with a spell that could only be broken if they were touched by diamond. If diamond ever touched the casket, the king and queen would awaken from their slumber. To prevent this, the tombs were then placed in a chamber of endless catacombs, making it near-impossible to reach without a map of the catacombs, which, for safety, was never produced. The sorcerer was offered a place on the city’s council, but just as quickly as he appeared, he vanished. Inscriptions on the former palace walls, now once again the city meeting house, tell of the great sorcerer who saved the city.
The city became self-reliant, turning the golems into their defenders, and decided to remain hidden to prevent another tyrant from taking over. Every so often, explorers and rangers from the city would wander out into the desert to save those lost, but rarely would people find the city of their own accord. The only known time was when famed explorer Dr. Elrond Pearson discovered it, leaving a piece of his enchanted map for his mentee Dr. Everett Erie. For millennia the city of Zerzura remained hidden, until now...
This is great!! Gives us lots of things to build off of for rides

PerGron

This is great!! Gives us lots of things to build off of for rides
I wanted to include a magic element to make the golems and magic carpets make sense, plus I think a desert land without a ride through catacombs/tombs is a wasted opportunity, so that gives us that. Plus the palace turned meeting hall would be a great space for a restaurant or shopping area or even a show

PerGron

What if instead of a ride, it’s an open walk through like Tom Sawyer. That was we don’t have two E-tickets with the Coaster and this and allows guests to explore at their own pace
I do worry catacombs and tombs may not be the best walkthrough, but I do agree that since last round we did 2 e-tickets we should just do one this time. Maybe instead it could be a C-ticket dark ride?

DashHaber

I do worry catacombs and tombs may not be the best walkthrough, but I do agree that since last round we did 2 e-tickets we should just do one this time. Maybe instead it could be a C-ticket dark ride?
I think a C-ticket dark ride through the tombs would be a good idea. Maybe journeying into the tombs, with some 1001 Nights-style magic and spookiness as we navigate those crumbling halls.

PerGron

I think a C-ticket dark ride through the tombs would be a good idea. Maybe journeying into the tombs, with some 1001 Nights-style magic and spookiness as we navigate those crumbling halls.
The mission could be to stop the King and Queen from reawakening as we pass through, maybe there could be a Djinn that has been sent there to awaken them and we encounter him a few times before stopping him and saving the day

DashHaber

The mission could be to stop the King and Queen from reawakening as we pass through, maybe there could be a Djinn that has been sent there to awaken them and we encounter him a few times before stopping him and saving the day
That could be a solid angle to go with. Perhaps we might be guards who head down to ensure the King and Queen stay asleep.

Another approach could be that we might be journeying into the catacombs as part of a group seeking fortunes said to be tied to the King and Queen, only to cross paths with a Djinn placed by the Sorcerer as their guardian. Thus, we face all sorts of tricks by the Djinn's magic and witness him ensuring that the King and Queen remain asleep.

PerGron

Let's talk shopping/dining.

A bazaar is clearly the easiest option, but I feel like we've done that style of shopping quite a bit (though so does Disney, so it'd be realistic), but I also think some smaller specialty shops would be cool. I think that doing a sister to the heraldry shop in Seasons of Fantasy would be neat, but more specialized weapons like Scimitars would be cool. I'm not sure what else though, that was the first one to pop into my head.

For dining, I think our table service should be one of two things and should be set in the former palace. Either a Mediterranean restaurant or an Italian restaurant due to the two being big influences on the flavors found in the region

AceAstro

A bazaar is clearly the easiest option, but I feel like we've done that style of shopping quite a bit (though so does Disney, so it'd be realistic), but I also think some smaller specialty shops would be cool. I think that doing a sister to the heraldry shop in Seasons of Fantasy would be neat, but more specialized weapons like Scimitars would be cool. I'm not sure what else though, that was the first one to pop into my head.
I think for shopping it could be cool to do it like Morocco at World Showcase. Little markets and dining everywhere.

DashHaber

Let's talk shopping/dining.

For dining, I think our table service should be one of two things and should be set in the former palace. Either a Mediterranean restaurant or an Italian restaurant due to the two being big influences on the flavors found in the region
An Italian restaurant would be an interesting choice. Actually, have we done an Italian restaurant in our resort yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom