House of Blues to change Service Industry Nights?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
You probably already know but HoB is leaving Disneyland Downtown to get more concert capacity. Do you think they need more capacity at WDW?

I've heard a few rumors here and there… I think the truth really comes down to money. I also don't think
House o blues is going to get a nice cushy set up like they have at downtown Disney if they move anywhere else. The best part about the downtown Disney house of blues is that it is ridiculously easy to get to

Communicore

I've hung out with people who did the party bus thing, like in downtown Orlando. One time it seems like the entire German pavilion CM's were at one club and they all got smashed and a couple were literally rolling on the floor.

WildcatDen

They could make the party bus pretty miserable…
As could a well placed puddle of vomit. . .

Still, my source told me that the Party Busses are no more than an alien experiment meant to track the behavior of our young adults. The aliens, from the planetary system "Dontchawannaduemee", are elbow deep in their research.

Umm, did I just reduce the credibility of my source?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
As could a well placed puddle of vomit. . .

Still, my source told me that the Party Busses are no more than an alien experiment meant to track the behavior of our young adults. The aliens, from the planetary system "Dontchawannaduemee", are elbow deep in their research.

Umm, did I just reduce the credibility of my source?

Depends on if the party goers answered with duck noises.

:lookaroun

tribbleorlfl

Funny story about underage drinking at HoB. My dad was the opening maintenance manager at Disney Quest and got credentials for my mom and me to the VIP Grand Opening party for DTD WS. It just so happened to fall on my 18th birthday and was a replacement for my original plan (Wallflowers concert @ UCF which was cancelled due to low ticket sales).

Well, we're walking around pretending to be rich and powerful and I find out the Wallflowers had been booked to play HoB for this event. My mom didn't want to go inside, so I went in solo. It was virtually empty inside, maybe 20 people tops.

I had been there no more than a minute when server, looking bored and desperate to help someone, shoved a glass of wine right into my hand. No asking for my id, she didn't even asked if I wanted anything. Just immediately served a minor alcohol.

Granted, that was almost 20 years ago, but I'm frankly not surprised.

matt9112

Funny story about underage drinking at HoB. My dad was the opening maintenance manager at Disney Quest and got credentials for my mom and me to the VIP Grand Opening party for DTD WS. It just so happened to fall on my 18th birthday and was a replacement for my original plan (Wallflowers concert @ UCF which was cancelled due to low ticket sales).

Well, we're walking around pretending to be rich and powerful and I find out the Wallflowers had been booked to play HoB for this event. My mom didn't want to go inside, so I went in solo. It was virtually empty inside, maybe 20 people tops.

I had been there no more than a minute when server, looking bored and desperate to help someone, shoved a glass of wine right into my hand. No asking for my id, she didn't even asked if I wanted anything. Just immediately served a minor alcohol.

Granted, that was almost 20 years ago, but I'm frankly not surprised.

legality aside how America views drinking is unique.

Next Big Thing

I feel bad for those who legitimately went and had fun and got to go dance and enjoyed the club scene.
It was a pretty safe alternative to going downtown or something too in all reality. Sure, I saw and hung out with some people who got absolutely SMASHED there (The coming down at the end of the night was a funny scene to witness at times), but at least the CP provided transportation back to the housing since it was at DTD. So you didn't have to drink/drive at all.

Even beyond cast members, there were people who just genuinely loved hanging out there too. It was one of the biggest places of debauchery going in Orlando. Improved security (which is HOB's problem) could've helped this. However, once PI closed, no one had anywhere to go EXCEPT HOB and they got so overcrowded. It was sort of a gift for HOB while it lasted (they made a lot more money those nights on alcohol than pretty much any concert night), but it's downfall isn't a surprise.

I do have to wonder if maybe someplace like BB Kings might start a Service Industry Night to capture the audience being alienated. BB Kings is very similar to HOB, definitely wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Last edited:

Yensid1974

Not to defend what goes/went on during these events, but if safety is the biggest issue (one would hope the bad press is the secondary issue...one would hope...) then I believe it may actually become more unsafe for these kids. They are going to go out and have a good time someplace...now it will be downtown or in I-Drive somewhere. Not nearly as safe as DS would be I imagine.

Next Big Thing

Not to defend what goes/went on during these events, but if safety is the biggest issue (one would hope the bad press is the secondary issue...one would hope...) then I believe it may actually become more unsafe for these kids. They are going to go out and have a good time someplace...now it will be downtown or in I-Drive somewhere. Not nearly as safe as DS would be I imagine.
That's the way I see it. They're gonna go out no matter what. Now they are just more at risk if they are too intoxicated, plus there's no Disney transport to take them back to their apartments.

Which is just how Disney wants it. No liability on them.

BuddyThomas

Maybe they can have a service industry night at Atlantic Dance over at Boardwalk instead. That's always such a happening place.

Oh wait......

Dead club.JPG

Dead club 2.JPG

71jason

The best part about the downtown Disney house of blues is that it is ridiculously easy to get to

This is a joke, right?

Bigger problem for HoB is Disney censoring bands--takes away the cool kid factor when you have to lecture bands before their concert not to use the 7 dirty words. Also, restaurant competition getting stiffer, with at least 5 or 6 new venues aimed directly at their target market opening up in the Landing (and Empress Lily possibly taking the cajun family dining slot).

This could be a boon for I-Drive 360 and the new Rosen place if they can ever get their acts together. Cowgirls would be the ideal place for CPs and newly settled yuppies to interact.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
This is a joke, right?

Bigger problem for HoB is Disney censoring bands--takes away the cool kid factor when you have to lecture bands before their concert not to use the 7 dirty words. Also, restaurant competition getting stiffer, with at least 5 or 6 new venues aimed directly at their target market opening up in the Landing (and Empress Lily possibly taking the cajun family dining slot).

This could be a boon for I-Drive 360 and the new Rosen place if they can ever get their acts together. Cowgirls would be the ideal place for CPs and newly settled yuppies to interact.

Okay, allow me to rephrase.....

Its easier than trying to get to Downtown Orlando.

Next Big Thing

This is a joke, right?

Doesn't mean the bands follow. They likely do it just because they are forced to by Disney. Once they are on stage, HOB can't stop them.

Also, HOB is the best club venue to see a concert in Orlando from a sound/intimacy factor, so some small BS thing that HOB is required to do and everyone will have a good laugh about it afterwards isn't really going to stop people from booking there.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Doesn't mean the bands follow. They likely do it just because they are forced to by Disney. Once they are on stage, HOB can't stop them.

Also, HOB is the best club venue to see a concert in Orlando from a sound/intimacy factor, so some small BS thing that HOB is required to do and everyone will have a good laugh about it afterwards isn't really going to stop people from booking there.
I dunno man, I've seen The Bouncing Souls from up front at The Social and that was amazing.

Plaza Live has a good venue too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom