House of Blues to change Service Industry Nights?

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Per the Save Pleasure Island Blog (& @71jason)....

House of Blues at Downtown Disney is ending their popular Service Industry Nights as well as Rewind Wednesday promotions.

Its likely that this is a result of the much publicized incident that took place following one of these nights. (I'm not linking it, you can go use google or the search feature here)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Well damn. The Party Busses for CPs are gonna be a lot busier now I guess.

But really, that's too bad. Now there really is no late night fun to be had at DTD anymore.

I agree. However after what happened earlier in the summer… They weren't really left with much of a choice.

Next Big Thing

I agree. However after what happened earlier in the summer… They weren't really left with much of a choice.
The thing is this stuck out a lot more in today's day and age because HOB was the only "true" remaining club left. Things like this happened fairly frequently when PI was open, but Disney sort of swept it under the rug. Not that this should be swept under the rug though, just point out the difference it makes when you're the only club operator in the area.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
The thing is this stuck out a lot more in today's day and age because HOB was the only "true" remaining club left. Things like this happened fairly frequently when PI was open, but Disney sort of swept it under the rug. Not that this should be swept under the rug though, just point out the difference it makes when you're the only club operator in the area.

Disney doesn't want the hassle. They don't want the liability. And they don't want the bad press.

I think they are more than content to push the club/young adult scene back towards international drive and downtown. It's not worth the hassle in an uncontrolled environment.

Now if you had a complex with controlled access points that verified you were 21 and up and could control who came and went into the complex… And it's a bit of a different story.

Alas it's very hard to reconcile Family entertainment and adult entertainment.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Disney doesn't want the hassle. They don't want the liability. And they don't want the bad press.

I think they are more than content to push the club/young adult scene back towards international drive and downtown. It's not worth the hassle in an uncontrolled environment.

Now if you had a complex with controlled access points that verified you were 21 and up and could control who came and went into the complex… And it's a bit of a different story.

I seem to remember such a place.... I believe it was located adjacent to an outdoor shopping district with high end specialty goods... I wonder what happened to that place....

*1023*

Next Big Thing

Oh of course they don't want it, as I said, i'm surprised the club nights lasted so long after PI closed (actually Rewind Wednesday just started a year ago and is expanding to other HOBs around the country).

As to verified 21 and up... they definitely checked ID, but you never know how well they were checking it, or if the woman was hot enough if they just let her in anyway even if she was under. It was basically like how they do for concerts.

What i'm more surprised aboutis that Disney let it stay 19+ for so long, especially considering PI was changed to 21+ late in it's life.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Oh of course they don't want it, as I said, i'm surprised the club nights lasted so long after PI closed (actually Rewind Wednesday just started a year ago and is expanding to other HOBs around the country).

As to verified 21 and up... they definitely checked ID, but you never know how well they were checking it, or if the woman was hot enough if they just let her in anyway even if she was under. It was basically like how they do for concerts.

What i'm more surprised aboutis that Disney let it stay 19+ for so long, especially considering PI was changed to 21+ late in it's life.

This will just continue to fuel speculation about the future of house of blues at downtown Disney. Personally, I don't see it going anywhere… But you never know.

It ran it's course sends it had its day… I guess this means the college for grandkids can go up to city walk now and become universals problem.

Next Big Thing

This will just continue to fuel speculation about the future of house of blues at downtown Disney. Personally, I don't see it going anywhere… But you never know.

It ran it's course sends it had its day… I guess this means the college for grandkids can go up to city walk now and become universals problem.
I can assure you they won't go to CityWalk. Those clubs aren't "cool" or ever busy. The Party Bus promoters also have a set schedule of what clubs they go to and that's the CPs tend to just pick and choose from that. CityWalk clubs aren't on the list.

Although I do think HOBs future is fine. As long as it's just concerts, there should be no problem. You have to remember, this has been reported not only as the busiest HOB in the country, but the most attended club in America.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I can assure you they won't go to CityWalk. Those clubs aren't "cool" or ever busy. The Party Bus promoters also have a set schedule of what clubs they go to and that's the CPs tend to just pick and choose from that. CityWalk clubs aren't on the list.

Although I do think HOBs future is fine. As long as it's just concerts, there should be no problem. You have to remember, this has been reported not only as the busiest HOB in the country, but the most attended club in America.

Just wait until there's a major publicized problem with a college program girl and one of those party buses. There will be an end put those as well the minute that makes the 6 o'clock news.

Next Big Thing

Just wait until there's a major publicized problem with a college program girl and one of those party buses. There will be an end put those as well the minute that makes the 6 o'clock news.
They will always find a way around it, you can't really end a private business. You can tell them they aren't allowed to come into Little Lake Bryan or over to Vista, but the problem is, those are public roads. There's very little Disney can do.

And even if they found a way, the promoters would just say to meet off of CP Housing property and they'd still operate. Disney has tried in the past and it is pretty much impossible for them to stop the Party Buses. They can only tell you to be cautious of them.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
They will always find a way around it, you can't really end a private business. You can tell them they aren't allowed to come into Little Lake Bryan or over to Vista, but the problem is, those are public roads. There's very little Disney can do.

And even if they found a way, the promoters would just say to meet off of CP Housing property and they'd still operate. Disney has tried in the past and it is pretty much impossible for them to stop the Party Buses. They can only tell you to be cautious of them.

I'm sure if the right person to Disney talk to the right person at the Orange county sheriffs office… They could make the party bus pretty miserable…

Next Big Thing

I feel like it's also slightly worth mentioning that this move is made as the new batch of CPs are moving in now. Basically, by doing this, they aren't allowing them to get used to it as a regular thing like many CPs have over the years.

I probably would've had a much more productive CP work wise if HOB wasn't there to distract me... My roommates and I had a group that would go every Wednesday or every other wednesday and sometimes Sunday. If nothing else I made sure to have fun.

Next Big Thing

I'm sure if the right person to Disney talk to the right person at the Orange county sheriffs office… They could make the party bus pretty miserable…
They *may* be able to catch them on a few things. But the easiest would be if they did sting operations against the buses and found anyone underage. Once you're onboard, the alcohol is flowing, so you must be 21 to board.

Some of the buses are pretty sketchy, i'm sure Orange could find some underage drinkers on at least 1 or 2 of the different buses.

Next Big Thing

Well they could have provided adequate security.

That said Industry night has always been a bit over the top so I understand the change.
Sunday's have always been incredibly packed to where everyone is pretty much groping everyone and not even really on purpose, it's just always been so packed, you can't avoid it.

So I definitely get it from Disney's point of view.

roj2323

Sunday's have always been incredibly packed to where everyone is pretty much groping everyone and not even really on purpose, it's just always been so packed, you can't avoid it.

So I definitely get it from Disney's point of view.

I used to go every weekend when I was a CP in 09-10 so I'm well aware of how much fun there was to be had.

Next Big Thing

I checked into this a tad on the HOB website. According to the article the last night is 10/4. That jives with the HOB calendar as Rewind Wednesday is completely gone, but it still lists Service Industry Night for 10/25 and 11/22.

Is it possible that they are switching to once a month now instead of twice a week? That's still a MAJOR cut if true, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were to "test" once a month just for the sake of at least keeping it around every once in awhile. I mean that would be going from 96+ times a year down to 12, so I could see Disney possibly OK'ing that as a "test".

At once a month, it pretty much doesn't exist anyway.

Texas84

You probably already know but HoB is leaving Disneyland Downtown to get more concert capacity. Do you think they need more capacity at WDW?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom