Hotel Confusion

Thnkindependent

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a trip with my fiance this April and we booked Disney's Newport Bay Club. Does anyone know anything about this hotel?? I'm having second thoughts and am wondering if I should change my reservation to the Disneyland Hotel (even though it's much more expensive)...

Anyone have insights for me?

Philo

Hi,

New port bay (as with all disney resorts) is a nice resort. Why are you looking to change?

I have never stayed in the New Port but I have stayed in the DL hotel and it was fantastic (thank you free upgrade!). However, it is alot more money and I don't think you will see that many benefits.

On the same trip we also stayed in the sequoia for a night (our free upgrade didn't last the whole period of our trip but I wasn't complaining!) and other than a slightly less luxurious breakfast, slightly less fancy rooms (no dressing gowns and only one sink, tut tut) and a longer walk to the parks (although still only 5 -10 minutes) there was no real difference.

bennyw01

new port bay is the biggest of the hotels and is really really nice, rooms were comfy and the walk to the park is bare mini in comparison to the other hotels, its really great! and in the summer its really really nice cause of the pool etc. :rolleyes:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Newport is a great hotel - we`ve stayed there on both our trips and will do so again.

It is very big - one of the biggest in Europe - but dosn`t feel massive. Facillities are good too. After our 2005 visit, when we commented on some facade issues, we were assured the north side (facing the lake) would be undergoing a full rehab to match the spotless south side, so it should look gorgeous now. If you have the extra cash I`d ask for a balcony overlooking Lake Disney and save the rest!

Feel free to ask or PM me any specifics since I know the place quite well :wave:

Thnkindependent

Original Poster
From all of this feedback, I think I'll probably stick with my current reservations. I got nervous after reading some less than stellar (to say the least) reviews on trip advisor. Many of the people that commented there said the hotel was dirty, in poor repair, and didn't have the facilities to accommodate the large number of rooms. The New York hotel is not much more money for the weekend, and I was considering switching there or to DLH (but that's far more money). But as long as you all feel that the difference in advantages is negligible, then the original plan will work!

Thnkindependent

Original Poster
Is that so!?

I've never gone on for anything Disney before. But that's so good to know that it shouldn't be trusted.

Why do so many people go to Disney and complain??? I'll never understand it. :shrug:

minnie2000

I haven't stayed in the Newport so I can't comment, also I don't know what the prices are like.

I have stayed in the Disneyland Hotel, and it is lovely, but very expensive. I would say the main advantage we found in the Disneyland hotel was that it was right at the entrance to the park and not far from the Disney village and MGM. We had 2 small children with us, and it was great to come back for an hour's rest with them in the middle of the day.

EyOne

In my view, the Newport bay Club is the hotel that i would reserve for if never i have to sleep in Disneyland Resort Paris.

I feel that the theming is better than the DLH one, with a very beautiful maritim decoration. If you are lucky you will have a room front of the lake!

If the DLH is at the entrance of the Magic Kingdom, the NBC is well located too. You are very close from the Disney Village (The Disney Village ends on the lake) and from the parcs, no more than 10 minutes walking.

disney magic 06

Just to add my four penorth, I've stayed at the New York, Newport Bay, Sequoia Lodge and Cheyenne and there isn't a great deal of difference between them really. My favourite is the Sequoia, just because of the lovely cosy bar with the huge log fire but they're all great - you'll have a wonderful time at the Newport Bay I'm sure. For the record, my least favourite is the New York.

Thnkindependent

Original Poster
The New York, honestly, didn't seem that nice from the pictures. Definitely doesn't seem to be worth the price difference.

And as for the advantage of DLH and being so close to the parks, it doesn't really matter with two twenty-somethings with no kids. Walking the extra few minutes doesn't make a difference to us.

So I'm glad I made a good choice!! Thank you all so much for all your help. You can't imagine the piece of mind you've given me!

Philo

Glad it helped! The walk to the park is a nice one too, you go round the lake and then through Disney Village so it's not just along a road somewhere.

Don't worry about trip advisor - remember that most people will only write a review if they have something to complain about (i.e. they want to be heard) but sadly very few happy people will write a review which mucks up the figures a bit.

I've read reviews of places like the Animal Kingdom logde which rate it as a terrible hotel because the TV's weren't flat screen, the rooms weren't quite big enough and there were too many guests - nothing to do with the quality of the hotel at all.

it398

I have stayed at each of the 7 disney resorts including the New Port Bay in 2004.

I'll be honest, when i stayed there it was looking a little shabby (espicially in our room - bathroom lock didn't work etc)

However when we visited the resort in 2005 and 2006 New Port Bay (as well as many other Disney hotels) were undergoing major refurblishments so its likely that this would have rectified the problem. All in all the New Port Bay is a great hotel.

As for dining suggestions - i suggest Walts for a quiet dinner, its very pricey but very nice.

Thnkindependent

Original Poster
Thanks for the "Walts" suggestion. I've looked up some photos, and the food looks amazing and the atmosphere, charming. So I think that's a must do.

What do you all think about the California Grill? Is it like the one in WDW--that's my favorite restaurant there. And how about the Blue Lagoon?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Blue Lagoon - for the experience its great, for value for money and size of portion its okay.

I`d say try Walts, as did other people we chatted to.

bennyw01

Blue Lagoon - for the experience its great, for value for money and size of portion its okay.

I`d say try Walts, as did other people we chatted to.

ive always wanted to eat at the blue lagoon but my girl friend isnt so keen on fish, they got anything else on the menu? do they do shellfish? or like chicken

Thnkindependent

Original Poster
I've read that they have both shellfish and chicken. But also, confirming what's already been said here, that it's just so-so. More of a place you go for atmosphere.

magicMLV

California Grill is very very expensive and won several awards. If you have a lot of money to spend, go there. Blue Lagoon has a much better food quality / price ratio. And of course, you have the great Pirates of the Caribbean theme. It is a little bit dark, you cannot always see what is in your plate and it is not always open for dinner. In both cases, you need to book in advance through the restaurants hotline. Regarding Walt's, service can be very slow and I rather go there for breakfast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom