Horizons!!!!

martinthesparta

Original Poster
Why has no one mentioned the greatest attraction in the history of disney. And what's taking them so long to bring it back. We need to start a petion or something. And i'm a share holder which may or may not help. If we can dream it, we can do it. Right? Anybody?

Sir Hiss527

Hello, and Welcome to WDWMAGIC~

There have been many threads about this topic, just go do a search, and you'll have many results. Chances of them bringing it back, are very slim as in like Disney has never, ever brought back a ride that they closed for good. I'm still waiting for them to bring back my Beloved Toad...But that's another story. Hope that helps you. Welcome!

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Horizons was one of the rides that caused me to fall in love with all things Disney when I was just a little girl. Imagine my surprise to go back to see the whole building CLOSED! Just sitting there! I was so looking forward to the orange smell again!

Does anyone remember the different choices we got to pick at the end? What were they and where exactly did they take you--specifically which different scenes? I was kind of young and I forget.

We need more interactive rides like this--very innovative....before it's time.

Christina

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Sorry, maybe this is a silly question, but the other day I was asked the question if I knew the REAL reason why horizons closed. I heard something about the building falling apart or something like that, but I don't know what the real reason is. Can anyone help me out?

cloudboy

Does anyone remember the different choices we got to pick at the end? What were they and where exactly did they take you--specifically which different scenes? I was kind of young and I forget.

Sorry about the long wait fora reply, but the choices were a ride through spcae to the space station, a trip undersea to the underwater base, and a trip over the land from one city to another. Unfortunately I don't remember the names, and I am too lazy to go look them up right now.

As far as the ride closing, there are so many rumors floating around that I don't think anyone knows for sure.

I miss horizons, but I don't think they could bring it back just as it was. A lot of the fun of that attraction was in the innocence and how optimistic they were about this "new world" which was really off as a prediction of the future. I am afraid that if they tried to recreate it as it was they would just miss some of the escence of the ride.

ThirdEye

I heard there was a sinkhole underneath the ride. So the building was unsafe to be in or somthing along that nature.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The sinkhole theory was banded about for a while, but why would they go and build 4 centerfuges on a sinkhole??

I`m with the theory the ride system (suspended directly from the superstructure) overstressed the building - thats why a CM ride before it finally closed was suddenly cancelled, and why they just tore the whole building - ride system and all - down instead of retrofitting it as originally planned. MS would easily have fitted in the omnimax theatres of Horizons, let alone the rest of the building. Almost.

cloudboy

How about a new version of the ride, housed in the Wonders of Life building? I would probably redo it, since I think it would lose something if they were to try and recreate it as it was. Perhaps give it a kind of retro look to it - the city of the future as viewed from the different periods.

martinthesparta

Original Poster
Yup, I had the same idea. WOL is tired and needs to go. This time, they should try to put you in the scenes as opposed to just looking at them, like they do in POTC ect. Like maybe a flying car over the city with other cars zooming past and you fly into a window and see how they live or something. Just a thought.

Walter

I absolutely agree to an updated version of Horizons. It was a ride that absolutely needed to stay, even if it were to be tweaked a little. I'm not sure how accurate that "sinkhole" idea is. It seems to me that they closed it because it was an omnimover. If Disney had half a brain, they WOULD build an updated Horizons. If you look all over the net, you see things left and right about it. It's the most requested extinct ride, by far. That's how good it was. Perhaps if they had updated this attraction, it could have become more popular. Personally, I wouldn't want to replace WOL to build a new Horizons, but if that's what it would take, I would. Seeing as though it may be just sitting there for a while, building a new version of Horizons could be a good thing for it. I would also do something that would cost much money, but be worth it: Build an enormous building holding two attractions; a thrill ride, and an omnimover, both with a Horizons-type theme. If Disney would do this, I believe that they would see a vast crowd flock there day by day. Then again, I may just be insane.

VinnieG

Yes an updated version would be nice. I remember going to EPCOT shortly after they closed Horizons and was shocked and upset to see it closed.I would love to see another Horizons thats what EPCOT was all about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom