Horizons Demolition

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm gonna make sure I go on Horizons next time I go to Epcot before they tear it down....I don't want to forget it..

...mmm...oranges.....

jmarc63

Originally posted by Fievel
I'm gonna make sure I go on Horizons next time I go to Epcot before they tear it down....I don't want to forget it..

...mmm...oranges.....

Your a few years too late

jmarc63

Originally posted by cuteypatooty78
I know like the rest of you I am sad that horizons is gone too. Bu according to Disney the building that was 16 yrs. old at the time of demolition was becoming very unstable and might have collapsed eventually on its own. I'm glad Disney decided to think of our safety and make the tough decision of tearing down the building. Don't be sad dear friends, Horizons will always live on in our hearts and minds and video tape will teach future generations about the wonderful ride that was Horizons....we shall not foget! :)

Yes there was a sink hole they discovered and were filling it in for a while to shore it up so it would not colapse before they wanted to

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Kellylynn322
WDWsmith2001 that photo is heart wrenching.
:cry: :cry:

I loved that pavillion.

I can't possibly say it any better myself...I really did feel my heart drop when I saw that pic...I too really loved Horizons....I think that's the most disturbing photo I've seen since John Lennon's glasses.

Just to clarify- I am grateful to have gotten to see it...It's just very sad :cry:

Mouse3268

I think I went on Horizons once but I don't know because I was only 3. When I came back agin in 1995 it was closed and when I came in 2000 it was already gone. Even though I don't remember Horizons I still get sad looking at any Diseny ride getting tore down. Another thing, wasn't it ture that the reason GE didn't sponor it anymore was that Disney bought ABC and GE owned NBC. So GE didn't wan't to be part of o rival company.:(

thebig2

It seems prety dumb to take out a great ride when they have a lot of land in Epcot to play with. But when you find out the land was unsafe it makes you think, is it better to lose a ride or a couple hundred people who are inside if it caves in us. Sad really still.

Dizneydude87

I never even got to see it, *tear*! It's not fair, not fair I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

I wish they would have fixed Horizons, and made The Living Seas, Mission: Space!

jmarc63

Originally posted by Dizneydude87
I never even got to see it, *tear*! It's not fair, not fair I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

I wish they would have fixed Horizons, and made The Living Seas, Mission: Space!

I heard that they looked into saving the building but with the structural needs with the sinkholw it was cheaper to tear it down unfortunatly

bamboo7

Original Poster
Originally posted by Mouse3268
I think I went on Horizons once but I don't know because I was only 3. When I came back agin in 1995 it was closed and when I came in 2000 it was already gone. Even though I don't remember Horizons I still get sad looking at any Diseny ride getting tore down. Another thing, wasn't it ture that the reason GE didn't sponor it anymore was that Disney bought ABC and GE owned NBC. So GE didn't wan't to be part of o rival company.:(

yea, it seemed like every time i was there, it was closed (for the past 6 or 7 years anyway).

conntom

that was a sad day for me I love Horizons and now to see
the pictures makes me sad again that was a good ride I
remenber the smell of the oranges I love it :cry:

isnet396

Originally posted by Mouse3268

No, its not quite that, as GE sponsors Illuminations RoE, which runs about 25 grand a night....

Ian

Mouse3268

Originally posted by isnet396

No, its not quite that, as GE sponsors Illuminations RoE, which runs about 25 grand a night....

Ian

I did not know that. The reason why I thoght that is that when Diseny bought ABC Superstar Televison was shut down because there most the shows were NBC shows. So I thought it was the same with Horizons.:king:

cymbaldiva

So back to this sinkhole thing? I don't doubt at all that it's true, but how do you find out about this stuff? And why would they build over one anyway? :veryconfu

bamboo7

Original Poster
Originally posted by cymbaldiva
So back to this sinkhole thing? I don't doubt at all that it's true, but how do you find out about this stuff? And why would they build over one anyway? :veryconfu

if you go to the Horizons Tragedy (linked on page one of this post), the guy there talks about the sinkhole at one point. he may have a picture of it.

and to answer your question of why they would build over one, i would say that it wasn't something that they could detect before building. thats just my guess.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Sinkholes are a continuous natural phenomena in FL.

FL is mostly limestone. Limestone is a pourus rock - meaning waters flows through it.

As the water flows through, it eats away at some part of the limestone, i think it's calcium. Maybe it's the lime? Who knows, i'm not a geologist.. Just an informed Floridian.

Anyways, the water does this when the water table is high due to heavey rains and such.. AKA: Every summer.

The water then recedes leaving a nice big hole where rock once was. The weight from above is typically held up as long as the water remains exerting pressure outward and preventing the cavern from collapsing. If the water receds enough, poof, there's a big hole in the ground that wasn't there before and you suddenly have a new basement.

-Rob

Dizknee_Phreek

wow! thanks for that great description of a sink hole, Rob! sure made it easier to understand! but now i'm wondering why they're building anything else in that spot at all....i didn't think sinkholes were THAT easy to take care of! wouldn't it just start sinking again later on?

RobFL

Account Suspended
After 24 hours the sinkhole has done its worst. Then you fill it will concrete and you're good to go.

-Rob

Timekeeper

Same show building

Although this information does not directly pertain to Horizons (rest in peace), I think it's a wonderful example of preserving a show building.

Universal Studios had an attraction show called Ghostbusters. About 6 years ago they tore down Ghostbusters to build the current Twister attraction. The amazing thing is, the show building itself was never torn down or significantly altered. True, the show building is more or less a "soundstage," thus nothing more than a big box, but it must have taken a pretty unique team of individuals to turn a building designed for one attraction into one capable of creating a funnel cloud right in front of you.

Also, the audience point of view is practicaly identical to that of when it was Ghostbusters (in Twister they stand instead of sit), and the "sky" backdrop (slightly concave shaped wall) was preserved in shape as well. Even the balcony (2nd level above the audience) which was used to display the ghosts (as reflections in the glass ala Haunted Mansion) now contains a giant half-circle setup in which LARGE fans are used to create the twister.

So, preserving the main structure of a building and creating a completely new and extremely successful attraction can be done, and I think Ghostbusters/Twister is a prime example of such. I'm not implying that Disney could have done the same with Horizons, but I think it's interesting to look at situations in which that 'is' done.

Tk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom