Honeymoon surprise for animal lover.

doombuggyfan

Original Poster
Hello all.

After a lot of going back and forth about where our honeymoon was going to be, my fiance and myself have settled on the Grand Floridian this September. We had gone to Disney december of 2009, and both kind of were saying to each other "Naah I don't want to go back so soon, I don't want my friends to think I'm lame". After months of talking about our December trip at minimum 3 times a week we kind of said to each other we're marrying our best friend, not the rest of them. For a girl that sings Little Mermaid songs every morning in the shower, where else could I possibly take her?

My fiance has hit a number of big milestones in her life this year and I'm looking to give her a extra surprise to celebrate that on the honeymoon. We're both big animal lovers, we're members of 2 local zoos, have visited just about everyone within a 3hr radius of our house. I proposed to her at the butterfly conservatory at the Detroit Zoo and my house has become filled with stuff covered in butterflies ever since. I half wish I would have proposed at the Auto show. I have heard about the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour and that sounds interesting, but was wondering if there is something like that for Animal Kingdom? She'd love an upclose or private tour of those animals. I heard there is a dolphin dive or something in Epcot but she's not a confident swimmer. She'd love horseback riding, but I've heard that makes your groin and inner thighs sore if you're not used to it. This is my honeymoon I have plans for those muscles. ;)

Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks for your time and consideration

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Let me get this out of my system......Animal lover and you are not staying at AKL with a Savannah view!? Were you dropped on your head as a child!? Bag on the GF and switch to AKL!:lol:

There is a backstage tour at AK called the backstage safari but from what I understand animal viewing is extremeley limited. There is also the sunrise and sunset safaris but it is my understanding that you must stay at AKL (and in the case of Sunrise at Concierge level) to be able to go on those.

If you are interested in either safari and are not at AKL I would inquire about them as Disney has been known to bend the rules from time to time.

doombuggyfan

Original Poster
Let me get this out of my system......Animal lover and you are not staying at AKL with a Savannah view!? Were you dropped on your head as a child!? Bag on the GF and switch to AKL!:lol:

Ouch that was a little harsh, but thanks for the other advice. Hopefully they're in a rule bending mood. We're pretty excited about GF, last time we went it elicited wows from us every time we rode the ferry.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ouch that was a little harsh, but thanks for the other advice. Hopefully they're in a rule bending mood. We're pretty excited about GF, last time we went it elicited wows from us every time we rode the ferry.
I would definitely plan a trip over to AKL for dinner or just to look around. The place is simply incredible and there are several viewing areas open to non resort guests.

TomHendricks

I agree with him, this is whats outside your rooms at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

mickeysshoes

First off, Congrats on the wedding and honeymoon!! Enjoy and have the time of your lives. But, I have to agree with the others..the views from your room are out of this world. We could tell time by the animals we saw. So you really should have a nice dinner at Jiko and tour the resort. Stop and talk to the CM you see and they can give you all kinds of insight on the animals. IE...the flimgos, when they are not pink its beacuse they are under a year old. Enjoy and have fun!!! :wave:

My fiance' and I did the backstage safari in 2007 and LOVED it! It's alot of info about how they care for the animals and things but we saw a few animals on the tour. I know we were near the cages where they keep the cheetahs and got to pet a white rhino through the bars of the cage. i think we also saw the elephant pen area. there was also a classroom portion of the tour and they brought in a barn owl (i think). if you love animals i think the tour is worth it. You learn alot of neat things about the animal care and also get a safari tour with insider info, not the regular spiel they give you on KS. . .

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
Why don't you split your stay between both the GF and the AKL? Best of both worlds?
Also, if she's not a confident swimmer, how about reservations at the Coral Reef so you can still enjoy the aquarium? I've lost the link but I know others have spoken about requesting the divers carry special personalized messages you can see while you dine. That would be a nice surprise for her.
Either way...hope you have a great time!!

my fiance and i are doing the epcot dolphins in depth on our honeymoon in october, and were not great swimmers. i dont believe you go in deep water. i think there is a ledge of maybe 3 feet deep water where you interact with the dolphin and i believe its only for 20 mins....

also, maybe you will luck out and the new walking safari tour they announced will be open... i'm hoping it is in ocober!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom