Home on the Range opens today!!

FusionAddict

Not planning to, gonna give my money to something decent like HELLBOY.

Hey, it's not like it matters...according to the company, we can't tell the difference between the theatrical releases and the cheapquels, right?

Disney2002

Originally posted by FusionAddict
Not planning to, gonna give my money to something decent like HELLBOY.

Hey, it's not like it matters...according to the company, we can't tell the difference between the theatrical releases and the cheapquels, right?

Also planning on Hellboy, which has received excellent reviews.

Home on the Range has been getting slammed as one of Disney's most attrocious efforts ever. At a cost of $100 million, I'll be SHOCKED if it makes back 1/2 that investment!

Pixie Duster

This is the wrong place, but it was a fun, enjoyable Disney movie. I'ts not meant to be an epic, but it is a good movie, classic, and sort of like Emperor's New Groove.

jaime_1234

I read an article in our newspapers here about it and the headline was "Move over Nemo," so I was thinking, "Oh boy, another great Disney movie." But then I saw it and fully decided to never listen to another word that movie reviewers say! :lol: It wasn't even close to being as good as Finding Nemo. Definitely not one of my favorites :( Cute though...just forgettable.

Mr. Tom Morrow

We saw the movie last night at the 7:00 p.m. showing. The theater was almost sold out with as you might guess mostly families with large groups of young children. We found the movie to be surprisingly good overall, but by no means Disney’s best. Our biggest surprise was how engaging the story was, we found ourselves feeling sad, smiling and evening laughing out loud during the movie. The characters as well as the music fit the story very well sadly they aren’t the type of memorable characters or music that will be cherished outside of the movie. The biggest problem with the movie was the actual animation, the look and feel of it. It was almost like we had gone back in time and were watching a Disney movie from the ‘60’s, 70’s or early 80’s, it had more of a Television Animation feel to it. During parts of the film some of the characters didn’t move smoothly as if there were frames missing. It was like they settled for good enough instead of striving for a Disney level of animation. We also found the shape of the cows compared to the rest of the characters (Buck and Alameda were very well done) to be off putting. We would place Home on the Range as vastly better than Atlantis and The Black Cauldron but just below Brother Bear and The Emperor’s New Groove, about right on line with The Rescuers and Robin Hood. Did anyone else think that the rabbit sounded a lot like the announcer on Big Thunder Mountain? We were kind of expecting him to say “this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness” while riding the mine car. Oh and when the Hen (voice of Mrs. Costanza from Seinfeld) was all in a panic I was half expecting the goat to say “serenity now, serenity now”! In the end we knew it was an enjoyable move, how? Well pretty much all of the kids in our theater were clapping and cheering as the end credits began to roll! And isn’t that really all that matters?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I'll pass. I'm not wasting my money to see a movie that I knew was a stinker well over a year ago

General Grizz

Originally posted by mkt
I'll pass. I'm not wasting my money to see a movie that I knew was a stinker well over a year ago

This outbeats Emporer's New Groove/Atlantis/Treasure Planet in my book. Even Tarzan. But still not near a classic.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
that's not a lofty goal to overcome there Gribbs...

:rolleyes:

the-reason

When the advertisement for Finding Nemo first came, I thought it was gonna be the dumbest movie, but was wrong. I didnt see it tell it came out on DVD, and I thought it was really fun and an Excellent movie.

When Advertisent for Home on the Range came, I thought it was a very dumb concept for a movie, and since I havent seen it yet my opinion still stands.

I hope many people enjoy it, but im not gonna buy it when it comes out for DVD. It really doesnt look appealing at all.

MKCP 1985

I wonder if Walt Disney would have liked the gags in this flick. From what I have read, his own, personal sense of humor was "rural," and he loved gags involving udders. No kidding.

On a side note, if HOTR is Disney's last traditional animated film, I am sad. Some of the best animated films have been traditional animation, but cost has always been an issue. For example, go and watch Pinocchio and take a look at the depth of the animation art. It is outstanding, and Pinocchio was only Walt Disney's SECOND animated film. Yet, the effects used in that film were never again attempted because the individual attention to detail was cost prohibitive. Yes, even Walt Disney himself had to weigh profits against artistic license. Anyway, it is sad, sad, sad to know all those animators have been released to be replaced completely by computer animation technicians. But that the world of Disney had room for both . . . .

raven

OK. I gave the movie every benefit of doubt but, for me, it failed every attempt to even look like a Disney animation. The animation looked like the old WB Wylie Cyote and Roadrunner cartoons and the story line was so "blah." It seemed to me that this was a quick animation put together quickly to make a quick buck some how. I slept through most of it and when I wasn't sleeping, I was looking for hidden characters because I was so bored.

I'm not saying it's a bad movie to everyone, but for me it was a let down to see Disney put out a low quality film. There were even WB and Dreamworks previews before the film! :(

BwanaBob

Major letdown.

After we walked out of the theater, I looked at what I spent, and was pretty ticked that I could have slid over to the parks and had a great time for the same amount of cash I forked over!

Wishes/Illuminations over 'HOTR' ANY day!

luvJC4saken

Never say never!

Regardless of what upper management says, I would be hard pressed to say that this is Disney's LAST traditional film, though I agree it may be a while before Disney or anyone decides to make another 2d film.

I seem to agree w/ the author from Animation World Network whose article I posted earlier today. It's not so much cost and profit margin that is causing Disney to reform their feature animation division, it's just that 2D just doesn't seem to be what audiences are hungry for right now.

We've just seen a huge burst of fantastic animated hits from Walt Disney starting with The Little Mermaid all the way to Tarzan, but remember just before that we were just getting over another 2d animation drought evidenced by such flops as The Black Cauldron. I haven't seen that BTW. I hear I shouldn't waste my time.

Traditional animation is a very unique and beautiful art form, even when compared to the detailed 3D Computer animation, in my opinion. But as most art forms that can be called "unique," it's going to have its ups and downs. Its moments of popularity and its times of not being so popular. It's like the author says, "It's not that 2d has lost its touch, it's just lost its turn."

2D is not dead. I wouldn't say even for the Disney Company. It's just taking a nap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom