Holy heatwave, Batman - can we turn the thermostat down?

Disstevefan1

I hope you folks have stayed awake for it at least once because American Adventure is an absolute engineering marvel. No matter how many times I have seen it I still sit there with my mouth half open trying to figure out how they make it all work so smoothly. I guess that is what a sheltered rural Vermonter will do when he sees such an advanced display of technology.
My comment was absolutely not meant to be a put down. This is a fantastic attraction!!!

It's just sometimes you are sitting, it's nice and cool, its dark, you are tired ......... Zzzzzzzzzz

Oh boy I am getting tired just thinking about that wonderful place...... Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lilofan

My comment was absolutely not meant to be a put down. This is a fantastic attraction!!!

It's just sometimes you are sitting, it's nice and cool, its dark, you are tired ......... Zzzzzzzzzz

Oh boy I am getting tired just thinking about that wonderful place...... Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
One place I've never been is the exclusive and very expensive and private Club 33 which is on the top floor of American Adventure.

KeithVH

Original Poster
Except that Summer is over a month away! It is subtle (except for the storms) but it is starting to get obvious the the climate is changing ever so slowly. I've been living in NC for 12 years and this is the first winter where we have had no snow (not a flake at RDU) in central NC and not even one freezing rain session. We had trees and flowers blooming in March and more rain then anyone can remember. I said once, that I have had an umbrella in my car for the entire time I've lived here and never needed to use it even once until this year and it has been four times just in the last 2 months. Out of 18 weekends, it has been raining 15 of them.
I miss the sea of yellow ponchos and nobody knew whose kid belonged to who.

Goofyernmost

We took the behind the scenes tour and part of the tour was going beneath and seeing the scene lifts and told how it all was coordinated throughout the program. I found it more interesting than the Utilidors.
I took that same tour for the same reason, but my luck remained the same as usual. They brought us in to the basement and let us stand to one side just past the entrance where we went in. We could see the stationary set pieces to the right of us (or at least a few of them). The guide then told us the it had been the normal process where we could get to stand in a spot where it was all visible and they usually ran the show (before actual guests arrived as a run through) BUT a couple of days before someone in the tour decided that he wanted to see it closer and broke away from the group and jumped in among the moving set pieces. They had to emergency stop, get the idiot out (my words not theirs) and had decided that this was as close as anyone could get at least at the time. I was very disappointed because I took the tour specifically so I could see how it worked but thanks to one of the many idiots that this country seems to nourish, I was unable to see what I really wanted to see. The rest of the tour was pretty good though except the costume department which seemed to drag on forever.

Last edited:

KeithVH

Original Poster
Will be there in June and for first time ever I am planning on mid-day siestas back at Pop.
I don't care what age you are, this type of planning is what everyone should do in the summer. We plan on being back at CR by 12 (1 at the latest) and then it's pool time and adult beverages till dinner. Then back into the parks. It's the only way to deal with the hottest part of the day. Can't wait to see the park commando types come dragging in having been out in the afternoon sun.:cool:

Like the man says "One margarita, two margarita, three margarita, shot . . ."

po1998

With shorter park hours, longer lines, more expensive gate admissions(including genie+), and in some cases a long time to get back and forth from park to hotel to park, I question the strategy of mid day breaks unless you have been many times before and don’t care about maximizing your park time.

Grumpy4196

With shorter park hours, longer lines, more expensive gate admissions(including genie+), and in some cases a long time to get back and forth from park to hotel to park, I question the strategy of mid day breaks unless you have been many times before and don’t care about maximizing your park time.
Have been many times and the only ride that hasn't yet been conquered is Tron. We will also be there for an entire week so maximizing park time is not a priority this go round. Just speaking for us personally obviously.

KeithVH

Original Poster
Yeah, been going since '77. We're only really going this time as our youngest is speaking at a conference and it's an excuse to get away. Technically, I can't believe we're spending money on the parks and not a cruise. So park time is not high on the list.

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Before we get there next week? I sadly remember the last time I went in May (1977) and the days were gorgeous in the low 80s. <sigh>
That was back when you could still see cartoon starbursts in the park (IYKYK.) Now, nowadays, the closest you'll get to that is on My Favourite Ride That By The Way, Everyone Else Doesn't Consider A Classic.

(re: the title) Batman is Six Flags. Unless you mean the '60s show (and you do) which is owned by Fox and thus Disney. Come on WBD, give them the Fantastic Four cartoon in exchange for the show!

MickeyLuv'r

One of my least comfortable visits to WDW was in May. that was about 15 years ago. Since then I've had many happy summer visits.

My biggest suggestion is to try to acclimate oneself as much as possible before you go. Within reason, the more you can get outdoors on sunny, warm days the better. Within reason, when indoors, try to limit AC, at least if you are used to using AC at home in May.

It takes about 2 weeks to get used to warmer temps, but just going outdoors for lunch is something.

When I visit in the summer, I do take afternoon breaks: leaving by 3pm at the latest, and returning around 5:30pm at the earliest. It often depends what time the afternoon storm hits. A good rain cools things down, but it is also nice to be at the hotel when it hits. I don't mind getting wet, but water-logged shoes can be a pain. As others have said, swimming is one way to cool off.

The heat tends to make people a bit drowsy, especially after eating and/or drinking alcohol. In the summer, it is good to avoid too low-blood sugar, while being careful about high glycemic foods like french fries.

Fresh fruit/produce is good. Another great snack- of sorts -is chia seeds. There used to be a product called Chia shots. Those were perfect for WDW, but they are no more.

Conversely, I've sometimes found limited sweets help if anyone feels a little woozy from the heat. Apple juice and lemonade can be lifesavers. Of course, it pays to drink plenty of water, but I now try to buy electrolyte water and apple juice or other fruit juice. Sometimes WDW has pineapple juice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom