Hollywood Studios 1/2 day park

graphite1326

Original Poster
Is it just me or has HS become a half day park? My kids are older so we don't do the Little Mermaid or anything for younger children. After TOT, RNR, TGMR, and maybe one of the stunt shows (Indiana Jones has become stale) there isn't much to do. I won't do Beauty and the Beast since 4 for a Dollar is no longer there (my boycot). I still do ST, and maybe Backlot Tour (but since they shrunk it down it just isn't the same). The parade is nice but short (I like the street performers more). But this just doesn't last all day, unless I want hang around for Fantasmic.

Does anyone else feel th same?

CaptainJackNO

I am afraid I agree that DHS has become a half day park. There are not enough attractions to thin the crowd anymore. Backstage studio tour, Inside Disney Animation, Superstar TV, all were crowd eaters and pretty good attractions, too. I think it's appalling that WDW charges the same admission price (I know they have to) for DHS as they do for EPCOT and Magic Kingdom. I have been highly disappointed by DHS the last three times I have gone. I feel Lights, Motors, Action is an enormous waste of space. I think it's pretty nice the first time; however, not as a repeat attraction. What American doesn't know how these special effects are done? Travel Channel, History Channel, Discovery Channel display this every day. Sad.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Is it just me or has HS become a half day park? My kids are older so we don't do the Little Mermaid or anything for younger children. After TOT, RNR, TGMR, and maybe one of the stunt shows (Indiana Jones has become stale) there isn't much to do. I won't do Beauty and the Beast since 4 for a Dollar is no longer there (my boycot). I still do ST, and maybe Backlot Tour (but since they shrunk it down it just isn't the same). The parade is nice but short (I like the street performers more). But this just doesn't last all day, unless I want hang around for Fantasmic.

Does anyone else feel th same?

Not only is it a full day for us, it's a multiple day. Even when it's just my wife and myself. We still do the kids stuff because I guess we are just still kids at heart. I guess if you are simply an adrenaline junky it might just be a half day adventure for you. But if you take the time to catch the majority of attractions, streetmosphere presentations, OMD, and F!, you are spending the day.

New2WDW

We usually take our time and enjoy the park but in my mind it has always been a half day park. With ST going down for a while that will also give one less thing to do.

We used to go to DHS once every two years but now I gotta ride TSMM a few times! :sohappy: Love that attraction!

foreverbelle

For us, it is a half day park for ourselves. It always has. I think with my husband not a huge ToT fan, and I am not a Star Wars fan, we just don't spent to much time there...Hopefully one of these days things will change but for now, its just a half day.

Thrill

Since many of the shows have lost their luster after a few viewings, it's a half day park in my eyes. We usually do TSMM twice, a ride or two on ToT, Star Tours, MuppetVison 3D, Great Movie Ride, and RnR.

If you do all of the shows, it's easily a day, maybe a day and a half, but the shows get repetitive quickly. Adding a new show or two would to a lot of good for this park. DCA's Aladdin show is very popular, perhaps they could bring it to replace The Little Mermaid? Moving Beauty and the Beast indoors would be a huge help, and Indiana Jones could definitely use a replacement.

JohnLocke

I think it's always been a half day park for me, though I usually spend a half day in each park because I like to jump around.

Really, I think it's gained more than it's lost, still needs to improve though.

Krack

This thread is the perfect example of what happens when your park has too many attractions that don't reach a bare-minimum of interest for a whole family (various age groups). You get families with young kids that have no interest in half the park. And you get families with no young kids that have no interest in half the park. Ultimately, you wind up with a half day park for everybody.

You'd think somebody would look at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom (and the original Future World) and realize that dark rides eat people and, typically, everyone will go on them. The backbone of WDW is Pirates and Haunted Mansion - AK and DHS (and Future World, again) need equivalents pronto.

Bringing it back to another often discussed topic, this thread should be a clear warning that the original FLE plans needed a revision (which apparently they got).

harveyt0206

While I really enjoy the atmosphere of Hollywood Studios (the artist formerly known as MGM), I don't typically spend more than 1/2 a day - 3/4ths at most. The majority of every trip is spent at MK and Epcot.

the-reason14

Mgm has always been a half day park to me. I think I've only spent a full day there no more than 3 times and this was a while ago. I will admit with the opening of TSM that I spend the most time there than the other parks, but I usually arrive an hour before closing and try to get on stuff with no line, then do toy story 10 minutes before the park close so the line moves quicker. Also go there for the opening and rope drop with a mad dash to toy story, but usually after that I leave and go to the MK or something. So it's always been half a day for me and my family.

wolf359

I agree Hollywood Studios is lacking, and attractions are the biggest reason, but the park overall is just lacking in my opinion.

The Studio Backlot Tour used to be a multi-part, multi hour walking and tram tour. Now it's a mere fraction of its former self. Same issue with the Animation Studio Tour. Whenever I go through now I see those huge sections of glass walls now covered, I still try to imagine roomfuls of animators working instead of the dull backdrops hung to hide what used to be the cornerstone of the Studios. It makes me sad. It would be the same as removing all the animals from Animal Kingdom and replacing them with a cast member telling you about how cool animals are.

But in addition to all of the original attractions that have been reduced or eliminated entirely, what else has seen any actual updating since opening?

Star Tours is finally getting some attention. Tower of Terror has gotten some small updates, mostly centered around the length and number of drops, but that's only because Disney treats this ride like ToT and Rock N Rollercoaster are the only reason anyone comes to the park. And they might just be right.

But it is more than just the attractions. The Studios is a terrible place to eat. The table service restaurants are all mediocre, mixed review places at best and the counter service is strictly for people who can't park hop to somewhere else.

Walt Disney1955

Depending on what you consider a half day. I figure you can peel through that park from 9am-6pm or so, if you do everything. Yes, DHS needs some dark rides for sure and some TLC. You just think all that space where Beauty and the Beast is between Fantasmic and such would provide them with a new attraction.

There are only 19 attractions. Not a lot at all. Star Tours getting a much needed refurb helps. American Idol will be gone someday when the show is no longer relevant. How about a dark ride of Lion King? The possibilities there are endless

rct247

I feel that DHS is more of a 2/3 day park if I wanted to do the things I wanted. This works great when I also feel that DAK is a 1/3 day park.

_Scar

I think it's a half day park, but it's only because it's in need of new things and major refurbs. Otherwise, I love every minute I spend in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom