Holiday Illuminations or Osborne Lights?? which one!

dizMOM

Is it accurate that they are not starting the Osborne Lights until 11/28 this year? They started so much earlier last year.

shmmrname

Illuminations is my favorite firework show/spectacle, but I was very impressed with the Osborne Family Lights. I had always written it off, but it really does overwhelm you with the season. If you've seen the normal version of Illuminations, I'd say go out on a limb and see the OFL for the first time.

kcw

IllumiNations by far...It's one of the most subtle and beautiful pieces Disney has ever put on....And besides,it's Epcot.;)

I guess I'm just really missing something... I know there are plenty of diehard Illuminations fans out there, but quite honestly I was bored! The pyro was cool, but other than that I kept checking my watch! :shrug: Is anyone else with me or am I the only one??

fizzle75

OP, check these out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCCFgllcb0&feature=related

Keep in mind that the lights you see in this video are only a small fraction of the lights you will actually see. This video is shot from a static camera angle, there are actually lights all around you and even on other streets as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xceXlw1efeE

The only difference in Illuminations:ROE and the holiday version is the holiday tag at the end(seen in this video), the first part of the show is identical in both presentations.

Both are dazzling and very moving , these videos in no way do them justice, but I still personally prefer The Osborne Lights.

I hope this helps.:wave:

EPCOTGAL1

Original Poster
Thanks for all your thoughts. To address the post of KCW...for me, anyways, I am a "music person" not degreed in music but could have been.. and very musical. I just totally love the score! I guess I could say that for most of the Disney music. For me, it is VERY moving. Before I notice anything....I notice the music. Perhaps that is what draws many guests in? I miss the original entrance music in EPCOT. I miss "Tomorrow's Child" in SSE. Heck, I miss the recent/old music, now replaced in SSE, etc. Just thought I would share what I'm drawn to when I watch ROE. I just don't think "anybody does it better than Disney".

MickeyspalJim

I too enjoy both, but wow, when that music and those lights jump to life togeather it just takes Your breath away. It really amazing how it all works togeather.

krankenstein

I guess I'm just really missing something... I know there are plenty of diehard Illuminations fans out there, but quite honestly I was bored! The pyro was cool, but other than that I kept checking my watch! :shrug: Is anyone else with me or am I the only one??

I have to Echo EpcotGal. I have am a former music major who got a minor in music. The music is what makes Illuminations. It is like seeing a score come to life. I think anyone who is musically incline will tell you the same thing. Illuminations is something special and whoops every other fireworks show I have ever watched IMHO.

fizzle75

I have to Echo EpcotGal. I have am a former music major who got a minor in music. The music is what makes Illuminations. It is like seeing a score come to life. I think anyone who is musically incline will tell you the same thing. Illuminations is something special and whoops every other fireworks show I have ever watched IMHO.
I am very musically inclined as well, music is a major passion of mine, I even persued it as a career at one time. I am a massive fan of Disney music, from both the films and the theme parks. The score for Illuminations is one of the most moving pieces of music ever penned in my opinion and the cd never leaves my car. BUT...I still think I like the Osborne Lights a little more than Illuminations based solely on how well it immerses you in the holiday spirit.

For me, music is a major part of the WDW experience. From the ambient park loops to the stage shows to the gorgeous, lush orchestral scores of Wishes and Illuminations, music plays a major role in transporting you from our stressful everyday existance to a place "where dreams come true".
Music is a relative thing, what moves one person may not move another person...that's the beauty of music, different styles speak to different people. Having said that, I am probably equally moved by the beautiful, epic score of Illuminations and the festive holiday music played during the Osborne Lights. I can appreciate them both equally, but as an overall immersive experience that attempts to capture the magic of both Disney AND Christmas, the Osborne Lights win hands down.

AEfx

For me, Illuminations is the most over-rated thing on property, so I'd easily chose Osborne.

Even if I didn't feel that way, Osborne is a wholly unique experience whereas I believe Illuminations just has the "tag" at the end.

That said, as some have pointed out it is possible to do both; especially if you drive yourself and don't depend on Disney transport.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom