HKDL to open in phases ???

jrriddle

Original Poster
Hong Kong Disneyland to open in phases starting early August
Associated Press
6/22/2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hong Kong Disneyland will open in phases starting in early August, the government said.
The theme park, a joint venture between The Walt Disney Co. and the Hong Kong government, had been originally slated to open Sept. 12, but the park will now launch its operations in stages, the government said in a statement late Tuesday.

Details were expected at a news conference later Wednesday.

Hong Kong taxpayers are footing the bulk of the US$3.5 billion (€2.88 billion) construction bill for Hong Kong Disneyland, and critics question whether the government got a good deal. Officials have said the park will boost unemployment and tourism.

The park is expected to draw droves of tourists from neighboring mainland China.

WHAT?
So not only are there not a lot of attractions but they are not even going to be all running at the opening?
Seriously???
Is it worth opening early to half of a half day park?
I really hope I am misreading this and they mean the resort will open in phases not the main park.

TheHawK

I don't think it infers that, I can't see Disney doing this

I think its say phase one will be the park right now opening in August, Phase 2 with Speedway, phase 3 and so one with new rides and expansions

ImaginEAR

I think it means that a phase of the park (ie, a soft opening) will open gradually up to the September 12 opening. So maybe sometime in August, only Fantasyland and Main Street would only be open. On September 3 or whatever, Tomorrowland would open. On September 12, Adventureland would open, therefore the whole park is now open, and the grand opening is that day, because all of the lands are open.

stitchcastle

Madison said:
Maybe they expect the whole of mainland China to abandon their jobs and make a pilgrimage to the park :)

you know, I think they do...seriously.

I actually think this is the most charming of all the disney parks, i'm in love with it. I don't think it would be able to handle "droves" of tourists the way its sisters do though, if they were gunning for such a huge market as china, they should have dealt with this park the way they did with Paris' park, which is absolutely stunning. HKDL should be DLP and DLP should be HKDL.

CaptainMichael

stitchcastle said:
you know, I think they do...seriously.

I actually think this is the most charming of all the disney parks, i'm in love with it. I don't think it would be able to handle "droves" of tourists the way its sisters do though, if they were gunning for such a huge market as china, they should have dealt with this park the way they did with Paris' park, which is absolutely stunning. HKDL should be DLP and DLP should be HKDL.

Yes!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No - DLP is running at high capacity now - summer months are comparable to the MK crowd wise. And the hotels are at high occupancy. There is still a stigma DLP is a failure. Not so. It is the most popular tourist destination in Europe, and has been for a long time. DLRP cost $4 BILLION to build in 1992 - as a recession hit. Add to this TWDC getting their numbers and facts wrong and in a nutshell thats why there was a problem. The park and resorts are making a healthy profit now.

CaptainMichael

marni1971 said:
No - DLP is running at high capacity now - summer months are comparable to the MK crowd wise. And the hotels are at high occupancy. There is still a stigma DLP is a failure. Not so. It is the most popular tourist destination in Europe, and has been for a long time. DLRP cost $4 BILLION to build in 1992 - as a recession hit. Add to this TWDC getting their numbers and facts wrong and in a nutshell thats why there was a problem. The park and resorts are making a healthy profit now.

Well that is good to hear. I guess because there was so much debt to begin with, it has taken a while to gain a profit.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - thats it. To avoid an Anaheim (not enough land, berm so close, messy road outside berm) and Florida (lots of land, not enough to do) they bought nearly 5000 acres, spent $2 Billion on the park, nearly a billion on 7 hotels and made it at least a 2 day resort to start. Bad publicity, recession, poor homework by TWDC and the problems mounted.

Finally now in profit - and, yes, the park and resorts are more beautiful than Florida. 130 million visitors in 13 years isn`t bad...

I still miss WDW though!

jrriddle

Original Poster
STR8FAN2005 said:
I hope to get out there someday. Disneyland Paris is the only reason they'll get me in France!
I know you are kidding (I hope you are kidding).
Paris is really one of the most beautiful, amazing cities in the world.
This is why WDI built such an amazing themepark, so it could try and compete.

cherrynegra

STR8FAN2005 said:
I hope to get out there someday. Disneyland Paris is the only reason they'll get me in France!

As much as I love Disney, there are other things about France that would make a vacation there something to look forward to.

CaptainMichael

jrriddle said:
I know you are kidding (I hope you are kidding).
Paris is really one of the most beautiful, amazing cities in the world.
This is why WDI built such an amazing themepark, so it could try and compete.

I'm of French blood, but if things don't change, Disneyland Paris will be the only part of France that I'll care to see. It will probably be 15-20 years before I go, so US-French relations should be better.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And I`m moaning Michelle is draging me on the Metro to Paris for a day... the grass is always greener I guess. Jr - went to Toronto once when I was 7. I`d love to go again. cherry - I`d love to go to frisco too. As I said, the grass is always greener :lol:

Bet no one wants to come to Manchester?

jrriddle

Original Poster
cherrynegra said:
As much as I love Disney, there are other things about France that would make a vacation there something to look forward to.
Exactly!
I was lucky enough to travel Europe on more than one occasion.
There is much more to France than DLP. It's no Manchester but it's beautiful! :lol: (sorry Marni, I'm sure Manchester is very nice)

jrriddle

Original Poster
marni1971 said:
And I`m moaning Michelle is draging me on the Metro to Paris for a day... the grass is always greener I guess. Jr - went to Toronto once when I was 7. I`d love to go again. cherry - I`d love to go to frisco too. As I said, the grass is always greener :lol:

Bet no one wants to come to Manchester?

Hey, now that I think of it, some of my favorite 80's/90's bands are from Manchester.
Marni if you ever get back to Toronto, a night of beers are on me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom