HKDL Impressions

malice

I think HKDL suffered from the early emptiness of the park, which has seemingly been remedied a lot with the number of new additions (I haven't been in the past 5 years), but it is definitely a charming park. I understand them wanting a bigger castle but I do kind of like the castle they have now.

One other thing you can't get at ANY other Disney park...I'll have to find the photo, but if you climb up the treehouse, about 1/3 of the way up, you overlook the Jungle Cruise area, and behind it is nothing but forest and mountains....it truly gives the impression that if you go on their Jungle Cruise, you're REALLY in for an adventure into the unknown

Edit: Found the photo

hkdl31.jpg

Sadly, a lovely view now marred by Toy Story Land.

IMDREW

I would love for them to bring the Frozen Paint the Night float from Cali over to HKDL once their Frozen land opens. Anaheim isn't using it anyways now and it would be beautiful for HKDL.

GiveMeTheMusic

I would love for them to bring the Frozen Paint the Night float from Cali over to HKDL once their Frozen land opens. Anaheim isn't using it anyways now and it would be beautiful for HKDL.

It's highly possible that the Frozen float was stripped down and rebuilt as the Incredibles float. I don't know if that's the case, but it would not surprise me at all.

fctiger

Wow a lot of interesting debate here! As someone who visited SDL for the first time a year ago and was back in HKDL this past summer (first time in over 5 years) I do see where everyone is coming from.

I would say for me though who was at HKDL the first month it opened and remembering the BITTER disappointment I had of that place and really was the lowest park on the list by far (at least places like DCA had a few original attractions at opening) yes it has improved quite a bit the last few years and IM, Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point were all big highlights of my trip. The last new attraction that opened before I went was IASW, which is still one of my favorites.

HKDL does have a bit more charm now and it is a more relaxing park but the biggest problem with it is that you can still easily do it in half a day. Because the lines are still so short and there is still very few rides and shows you can clear it in 5-6 hours easily. I took my time and I did every major show, all the big rides and I was done with everything by 4 p.m. and this was on a Saturday in the summer. HKDL is certainly nicer today but its hard to recommend to anyone to make a real trip for unless they already going to HK itself. If not, I still can't recommend it UNLESS its part of a bigger trip.

Now SDL, to me that park was breath taking. So much of it was hands down beautiful at every turn. I admit FL probably could be more detailed and Mickey's Avenue feels a bit too small for being the opening of the park but my mouth dropped more times than I can count being there. And unlike HKDL I did need two days to really see and do it all. First off, its just way more people in the place so everything takes longer, but there is more to do in general and SDL is just two years old. And I was there in September on a week day! The first day things were much lighter but the second day it felt like I was there on a holiday lol. I was so happy I did about 70% of everything the first day but if I didn't have that second day I would've had to rush around and not take my time which I was happy I could do. Complete opposite of HKDL where you are just trying to fill time to stretch out your day as long as possible. SDL is not a perfect park but it's probably the most detailed and biggest since TDS.

I would happily go to both again, although no plans for at least a year or two but I would tell anyone to go to SDL because it feels like a full day park at least. HKDL is getting there and they FINALLY have some original attractions but its still just too small. This was proven to me when a friend went to HKDL first time a few months after me. He has family in HK and it was his first time to the city. He said he liked it but it was too small and he was bored by the afternoon. He's only been to that one and WDW.

Anyway, fun report and its just nice more people are experiencing these parks (and Asia) in general.

EarthboundChild

I attended Hong Kong Disneyland last September.

As posters have already mentioned it's a small park and due to the relatively small number of people even on a holiday (apparently unbeknownst to me I went during a Chinese holiday) you can easily do the whole park in less than a day. That said it's nice to be able to get on rides without waiting on lines all day. There are also nice experiences there with two extremely strong exclusive attractions (Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch). Iron Man Experience is also pretty good and the addition of Ant-Man & Wasp will further expand on the list.

The park is going to see some nice expansion in the coming years however. The current plan is to expand through 2023 and the Frozen expansion is expected to hit 2021. That means there are more additions coming down the pipeline to look forward to.

I wouldn't recommend going to HK just for it but if you are already planning to visit Hong Kong you should definitely go visit. If you are already visiting Shanghai Disneyland it's definitely worth trekking all the way down to HK Disney if time/money permits. One neat thing about the two parks is that since there's some sort of exclusivity agreement between them where one cannot have the same attraction as the other (I guess Toy Story Land was an exception) both parks can turn out pretty distinct from one another. You can experience stuff like Mystic Manor, Grizzly Gulch and the upcoming Frozen attraction at Hong Kong while there's PotC Battle for the Sunken Treasure, TRON, the updated Peter Pan's Flight and the upcoming Zootopia attraction at Shanghai.

IMDREW

I’ve been to both parks once and will be back at HKDL this june. Haven’t seen Mystic Manor and Iron Man yet and ofcourse the new Ant-man ride.

Love both parks, but imo Shanghai really has more epic rides and will still have after the HKDL expansions are done. Pirates and Tron are just so big in scale and epic and I feel Hong Kong has nothing (yet) to compete with that. Maybe that large Avengers ride coming in 2023. But we know what frozen will be, and although beautiful and def needed for the park, it’s not competition for Pirates and Tron imo.

I really hope both will do well and both get those second gates.

EarthboundChild

Without a doubt that HKDL will have trouble ever matching SDL in terms of size and scope purely because of lack of land in HKDL. That's not including the fact that Shanghai had the advantage of both a larger budget upon opening and being created more recently, and therefore allowed them better technology for their rides.

Is it confirmed that the Frozen Land in Hong Kong and Paris will be Frozen Ever After? That said even if it isn't a direct copy of it I am not expecting it to be much more than an animatronic film recap ride anyway. But Frozen is just a much needed draw for the park to try to help it recapture profitability to ensure future developments and maintenance of the parks. I fear what would happen to HKDL if even that fails to turn the park's attendance for the better.

Last edited:

RandySavage

They appear to be trying to load the bases with walks and singles and then swing for fences via a game-winning grandslam in 2023 (Avengers). From its very weak start, the park steadily gets better - making it one of the most fun to follow - but they need more than just one "Holy S***! I need to do that again!", state of the art, adrenaline-inducing blockbuster to fully turn that attendance corner, IMO.

BrianLo

They appear to be trying to load the bases with walks and singles and then swing for fences via a game-winning grandslam in 2023 (Avengers). From its very weak start, the park steadily gets better - making it one of the most fun to follow - but they need more than just one "Holy S***! I need to do that again!", state of the art, adrenaline-inducing blockbuster to fully turn that attendance corner, IMO.

In other words they sort of needed Galaxy's Edge. Not that I want a clone, but kind of two mega-E tickets.

I'd really love a "new-splash mountain" to occupy the Grizzly Gulch pad if it was up to me. I'm just hopeful Frozen hits with the public.

Robbiem

I must say, Hong Kong Disneyland's location seems amazing- even if compared to Shanghai. The mountains behind the castle seem magical on their own.

I agree from the photos it really does look like the only resort where outside location really pluses the atmosphere in the park.

I really cant understand why Disney isn’t investing more in Hongkong Disneyland to make it a true resort. With a little tlc and some more investment to create a downtown Disney and second park it could be a really fantastic resort

RandySavage

^DisneySea uses Tokyo Bay to extend its thematic horizon in a couple ports:

HKDL's 2nd Gate has the potential to make use of the waterfront, as well. Unfortunately, the public-private partnership is going to hamstring further investment, at least until HKDL starts providing nice returns to the city.

I also think any park that is surrounded by a lot of forest or nature (e.g., MK, AK) benefits in subtle but important ways from it, even inside the park. The natural greenbelts provide a more believable "wild" backdrop than a wooded berm alone can provide. Poor Shanghai didn't even get a berm.

fctiger

^DisneySea uses Tokyo Bay to extend its thematic horizon in a couple ports:

HKDL's 2nd Gate has the potential to make use of the waterfront, as well. Unfortunately, the public-private partnership is going to hamstring further investment, at least until HKDL starts providing nice returns to the city.

I also think any park that is surrounded by a lot of forest or nature (e.g., MK, AK) benefits in subtle but important ways from it, even inside the park. The natural greenbelts provide a more believable "wild" backdrop than a wooded berm alone can provide. Poor Shanghai didn't even get a berm.

This is one of those things where your jaw literally drops when you see it in person. So much of TDS does that though.

EarthboundChild

Found this video that mentions that Hong Kong Disneyland was built with plans to expand to a 2nd gate among other ambitious plans (explains why there is so much empty space at the front of the actual park itself). It's apparent at this point that those plans have been shelved indefinitely unless Hong Kong Disneyland drastically turns things around to make the Hong Kong government feel the immense funding would warrant it.

Last edited:

dennis-in-ct

I am surprised to hear all the negative-ish comments on SDL Fantasyland. Seeing the photos and video online, the castle boat/grotto ride design looks really interesting and clever. Can anyone speak to the impressions of the castle and exploration of that space?

Thank you for posting all the impressions of SDL and HKD. It is interesting to read about the feel of the parks. One of these days I would love to visit the Asian resorts - mostly TDR. HKD really sounds like an underdog of a park. I have been to all the US and Paris parks. The lack of a berm really was jarring at DCA (have not visited since carsland and the entrance re-work) and I hear Tokyo also has some visual intrusions. Maybe that is why I love Animal Kingdom so much for it's complete immersion.

Last edited:

RandySavage

^Thanks for asking because I've wanted to explore this...

I expected SDL Fantasyland to be a slam dunk for WDI - even better than Anaheim, Paris or MK's New Fantasyland. But as an environment or land - excluding attractions - it ends up feeling like just a "B" effort/execution. There's something off about SDL Fantasyland and I've tried to put my finger on it:

1. Hi-tech digital displays in a pre-modern thematic settings. It's a little thing, but it adds up. This is one of my biggest pet peeves and something that is overtaking all the Disney Parks lately under Bobs Weis/Chapek. It drives me nuts that from Anaheim to Paris, Disney is going into all of their pre-modern settings and taking out better-themed, analog wait-time indicators for digital backlit screens and replacing traditional menu boards with LCD televisions.

Shanghai was born in this new era and thus has all digital displays in every land:

2. Cheap Food Photos. Another pet peeve, and another little environmental aspect that adds up - though I don't know if it's WDI or another department - is displaying modern, photoshopped pics of food inside and outside restaurants. The practice reminds me of the lowest class of fast-food or hole-in-the-wall restaurants and makes me lose my appetite. It's a worldwide issue, even at Disneysea. If food needs to be shown for ease of communication, WDI should have a full time graphic artist/illustrator who does nothing but create customized appropriate illustrations and appealing signage showing menu items.

3. No castle wall behind facades. This is a bigger issue I noticed. The castle wall is critical to connecting all the village facades in a common space, hiding showbuildings in a believable way and adding visual layers. Shanghai is the first fantasyland to eschew the castle wall technique and create strange, lightly-themed "medieval warehouses" behind facades that have no historic precedent.
(Top: Anaheim, Bottom: Shanghai)

4. The village area architecture is Off. Instead of organically designing new fairytale architecture for the village area (as was done well in MK's New Fantasyland or Anaheim's Fantasy Faire) and basing it on a study of the old European villages that inspired the look of Disney's fantasy aesthetic, in Shanghai they often copy & pasted facades from the existing Fantasylands in Anaheim & Hong Kong, but squashed them down in bizarre, seemingly unnecessary ways, throwing off the proportion & scale.

(Left: Anaheim, Right: Shanghai)

5. Natural Materials and Sag. The best Fantasylands (Anaheim 83 and Paris) were made of real materials: wood, brick, slate and stone. They looked fantastic up close and from afar. These days real materials are mostly given way to longer-lasting 'fake' materials and in Shanghai Fantasyland the cedar roof shakes, wooden fences, etc., look particularly synthetic - even from afar. Many facade buildings lack the natural sag and are too rigid. Materials don't look properly weathered:
(Top: Anaheim, Bottom: Shanghai)

No sag. Laser-measured eave angles at left:

6. Placement of the big Theater. Instead of being absorbed in a castle wall showbuilding, the huge theater sits alone and towers over everything. They've themed the exterior, thankfully, but it dominates the area (and Toy Story Land) and the building isn't any kind of structure we think of in the fairytale landscape: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/29653019210_72ff05f539_b.jpg

7. Interiors of places like the castle restaurant and Pinocchio Kitchen feel bright, spacy and modern, with modern accoutrements like LCD screens overpowering period features.

In sum, the great Fantasylands oozed old school charm and nuance. Charm and nuance are not words I would associate with SDL's fantasyland. It's not bad, it's just not nearly as great as I had hoped or it should have been given Disney's recent track record (anyone know who was the land's executive designer). This has me concerned about the HK Arendelle and Tokyo's FL Expansion - I'm hoping they are more like the recent EPCOT-Norway and Magic Kingdom fantasy environments and less like Shanghai's.

I actually like the way the Shanghai castle looks as viewed from the land. And I think the rides are for the most part on par with the others FLs (though, some corners have been cut on SDMT and Crystal Grotto could have been more by all accounts). As the trees get bigger and they fill in some pads it will hopefully make the land feel more authentic and pleasing.

Attachments

• SDL Fantasyland comps 2.jpg
    SDL Fantasyland comps 2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

RandySavage

The lack of a berm really was jarring at DCA (have not visited since carsland and the entrance re-work) and I hear Tokyo also has some visual intrusions. Maybe that is why I love Animal Kingdom so much for it's complete immersion.
Giving its setting and all the unpleasant visual intrusions, Shanghai needed a berm as large and luxuriant as HK's - actually even larger. Not having such a berm around the park and resort was one of the biggest master planning mistakes, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom