HKDL Impressions

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Greetings from Osaka!

After 3 nights behind the Great Firewall, I'm happy and relieved to be in Japan for the final leg of a 3-week Asia trip.

Just wanted to share some quick thoughts on Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland, as they were my final Disney parks and I'm thrilled to have checked them off!

Hong Kong Disneyland

HKDL is pretty much nobody's favorite park, and as a resort, I've seen it ranked last more than once. This makes complete sense, as based on substance, there really isn't much to it.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by my actual experience, and based on feeling, the park/resort is a winner. Once you've boarded the metro line at Sunny Bay, you're immersed in Disney magic, and the walkways and landscapes are thoughtfully manicured to take advantage of the resort's unique setting. Hearing the classic esplanade music as I exited the MTR station instantly brightened my day.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_0168.jpeg

IMG_0173.jpeg

As the park opened at 10:30am, I took the opportunity to check out the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel and Explorers Lodge. They both looked lovely, reminding me of two WDW resorts that are dear to my heart.

IMG_1562.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

Now, for the park itself: it exudes warmth and charm. Much of that comes from the park's small footprint and unique setting among the hills of Lantau Island. However, it also comes from the carbon copy status of Main Street and Sleeping Beauty Castle. As we know, the castle will be changing soon enough, which I see as a major positive for the park. With Shanghai around the corner now, HKDL needed something to set its identity apart from 'inferior Disneyland.'

IMG_0260.jpeg

IMG_0485.jpeg

IMG_0321.jpeg

I started my day in Tomorrowland, where Hyperspace Mountain and Iron Man consistently had waits of 5-15 minutes. Personally, I'd much rather have the regular version of Space Mountain than a Star Wars overlay, but at least the lines for it were reasonable.

IMG_0315.jpeg

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Iron Man was a new experience for me - it's your basic simulator ride, nothing to get too hyped over. That said, it seems like the Marvel attractions are going to utilize a very 'meta' tone, and it actually worked here. The premise of a Stark Expo taking place in Hong Kong totally vibes with my experience in Hong Kong itself; its gleaming, futuristic skyline and waterside setting just scream, "a Marvel climax should take place here." I also liked a few of Iron Man's quips during the journey. With more Marvel coming soon to Hong Kong, I expect the new additions will be even stronger and round out this corner of the park, which is otherwise pretty weak.

IMG_0292.jpeg

Moving around the park, I have no pictures of Fantasyland, which was small and not that interesting. I did enjoy Mickey and the Wondrous Book (particularly hearing Happily Ever After in a new context), as well as It's a Small World.

Things get a lot more interesting on the left side of the park, although Adventureland again feels small and lacking in content. It didn't help that Jungle Cruise and Tahitian Terrace were closed, but the land looks great. I don't say this often, but I feel like it could really use a Tiki Room.

One thing I did enjoy here was Festival of the Lion King. Also got a tasty egg puff waffle, which I didn't see anywhere else. Most snack stands offered chicken sausage and fish balls - I quickly became a fan of both.

IMG_0416.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

And that brings us to the 3 mini-lands beyond the berm, starting with Toy Story Land. It's just as lame here as it is elsewhere.

IMG_0367-1.jpeg

That said, I have a soft spot for RC Racer. Not much to it, but it provides a pretty massive adrenaline rush.

IMG_0368.jpeg

Grizzly Gulch, on the other hand, is lovely, and its signature attraction is a fun upgrade to Big Thunder Mountain, incorporating elements of Expedition Everest, a zippy launch, and some grizzly animatronics.

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

Finally, Mystic Point. It goes without saying now, but Mystic Manor is easily the imagineering highlight of HKDL. Thanks to the S.E.A. connection, there are also details aplenty to uncover here - I was pleased with myself for spotting a Typhoon Lagoon connection in the queue.

IMG_0343.jpeg

Due to ongoing construction around the castle, there weren't any fireworks, but I did enjoy a viewing of Paint the Night.

IMG_0554.jpeg

Overall, it might sound like I was disappointed in the park, but my expectations were appropriately set and I had a great time. It helped that the crowd levels were extremely mild, meaning no long waits for anything. Hyperspace Mountain, Iron Man, Big Grizzly Mountain, Mystic Manor - it was surreal but such a pleasure. That's an intangible that helps make Hong Kong Disneyland more than the sum of its parts; this was easily the most relaxed and carefree (yet productive) visit I've had to a Disney castle park. HKDL might be small and somewhat lacking in content, but things are moving in the right direction, and I'm excited to hear what people think about the park's upcoming expansions.

Shanghai thoughts will have to come later, as it's after 1am in Japan and I'm ready to call it a night!

Last edited:

RandySavage

Nice report. Of all the worldwide parks, HKDL interests me the most, because its near future is going to be much brighter than its past. At the other parks, it's typically one step forward, one (or two or three) steps back, but with HK it's just steps forward. I've never had any attachment to its original line-up so it has no real classics to mourn the loss of. It also boasts the last example of major original development for the parks. I'm very bullish on the castle redevelopment - the art was divisive but I think/hope when it comes together more people will be on board.

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Nice report. Of all the worldwide parks, HKDL interests me the most, because its near future is going to be much brighter than its past. At the other parks, it's typically one step forward, one (or two or three) steps back, but with HK it's just steps forward. I've never had any attachment to its original line-up so it has no real classics to mourn the loss of. It also boasts the last example of major original development for the parks. I'm very bullish on the castle redevelopment - the art was divisive but I think/hope when it comes together more people will be on board.
You're so right about the parks and their typical trajectory. Even Shanghai already experienced its first step back in Toy Story Land, and all it took was one expansion (whereas in HKDL and DHS, at least it was bundled with superior concepts).

In comparison, the castle update + Frozen and Marvel should only be positive for HKDL. The entrance and castle really set the tone for each park, and Hong Kong suffered by virtue of copying the 1955 original (which is no longer the best, even if it was first). The 3-land expansion added some differentiation, but this next phase should accomplish what the previous one couldn't: send a statement that the park itself can stand up against Shanghai and Tokyo.

BrianLo

HKDL is pretty much nobody's favorite park, and as a resort, I've seen it ranked last more than once. This makes complete sense, as based on substance, there really isn't much to it.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by my actual experience, and based on feeling, the park/resort is a winner.

I was about to angrily protest, but you have seen the light. :D

HKDL, for what a disaster Michael built, has easily the best resort entrance experience. Its master planning is so simple yet so perfectly done. Not to mention it is the only product that has consistently received (mostly smart) investment both in the proceeding decade and following decade.

I too am one of the bullish few on being pro-new castle. This photo just highlights how ridiculously proportioned the castle is for this resort. The tree really does it in.

View attachment 325846

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
I was about to angrily protest, but you have seen the light. :D

HKDL, for what a disaster Michael built, has easily the best resort entrance experience. Its master planning is so simple yet so perfectly done. Not to mention it is the only product that has consistently received (mostly smart) investment both in the proceeding decade and following decade.

I too am one of the bullish few on being pro-new castle. This photo just highlights how ridiculously proportioned the castle is for this resort. The tree really does it in.
Totally agreed on HKDL's entrance, and that really can't be understated. It's a strength the resort will have that none of the others can match, as the setting is right and it was built well from the start.

Only WDW tops it for me, simply because nothing competes with the immersion of WDW's bubble - it doesn't need an esplanade to set the stage.

Interesting report. Im going to hong kong next year and am looking forward to visiting Disneyland after reading your report
Have a great time in Hong Kong! It's a really cool city, and getting to HKDL was super easy with the MTR. Can easily see all the highlights (multiple times) if you visit on a weekday.

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Hong Kong Disneyland is an absolute gem, underrated beyond belief. I prefer it to Shanghai and it will only get better.
You know, I'm conflicted here!

Haven't posted my Shanghai thoughts yet, but they were very positive. Well, aspects were (primarily linked to 2 headliner attractions and its overall ambition level). Park vs. park, I think Shanghai Disneyland is probably better.

But I'd still easily choose the warm feel, remote location, and thoughtful landscaping of Hong Kong Disneyland, which really counts for something. After all, Disney Parks are ultimately selling escapism, which means they live or die on creating an immersive environment people want to experience. Shanghai has already dropped the ball there, between the power lines, ugly industrial sites, boxy show buildings, etc. Some of those visibility issues are design flaws (I shouldn't be able to see the backside of Roaring Rapids as soon as I exit the metro station), but others are related to the resort's proximity to a major industrial area, dooming it from the start.

I still really liked SHDL but don't have a strong desire to return, whereas I hope in a few years, I can return to Hong Kong and check out how HKDL has evolved.

jaxonp

You know, I'm conflicted here!

Haven't posted my Shanghai thoughts yet, but they were very positive. Well, aspects were (primarily linked to 2 headliner attractions and its overall ambition level). Park vs. park, I think Shanghai Disneyland is probably better.

But I'd still easily choose the warm feel, remote location, and thoughtful landscaping of Hong Kong Disneyland, which really counts for something. After all, Disney Parks are ultimately selling escapism, which means they live or die on creating an immersive environment people want to experience. Shanghai has already dropped the ball there, between the power lines, ugly industrial sites, boxy show buildings, etc. Some of those visibility issues are design flaws (I shouldn't be able to see the backside of Roaring Rapids as soon as I exit the metro station), but others are related to the resort's proximity to a major industrial area, dooming it from the start.

I still really liked SHDL but don't have a strong desire to return, whereas I hope in a few years, I can return to Hong Kong and check out how HKDL has evolved.

I can't get over seeing highways and power lines from inside Shanghai Disneyland. It's too wide open and lacks any sort of charm. There isn't much to do beyond Tron and Pirates, which are obviously pretty good, but still. The experience at Hong Kong from start to finish is just better. You can't beat that feeling of the mountains all around you. It really feels like your in a remote area, which you kinda are.

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
I can't get over seeing highways and power lines from inside Shanghai Disneyland. It's too wide open and lacks any sort of charm. There isn't much to do beyond Tron and Pirates, which are obviously pretty good, but still. The experience at Hong Kong from start to finish is just better. You can't beat that feeling of the mountains all around you. It really feels like your in a remote area, which you kinda are.
Completely agreed. Shanghai Disneyland, being the only new park (and resort) constructed in the last few years, shouldn’t have this problem. They’ve had over 6 decades to learn the impact of sight lines on immersion and even successfully applied lessons on that front to WDW in the 60s and 70s. The fact that the newest park barely reflects that is a bad sign and explains some of the awful decisions currently being made domestically.

Nevertheless, here we are, with a solid park that’s weaker on the immersion front than any of its US sisters (besides a few splashes of brilliance), and unique, innovative design work that’s constantly at war with some really poor placement decisions.

I had a great time at both, but Shanghai claimed the single most fun attraction (Tron) and probably the most wow-inducing (Pirates). Land-for-land, I also think it’s better than HKDL with a few exceptions (Mickey Avenue is weaker than Main Street; TSL feels weird at both; does the hub really need to be its own area?). That said, I’d still choose to return to HKDL first, which is much more successful at establishing a positive feeling throughout. Almost seems like Shanghai didn’t even try there, but after strolling around Fantasyland with all the lanterns lit, I can’t help but feel they did. It’s baffling.

Note: to be fair, Shanghai's immersion is stronger than DCA (besides Cars Land), DHS (for now, although the Hollywood areas are strong), and arguably Epcot (the WDW park most impacted by sight line woes). It also has the most cohesive Tomorrowland worldwide, albeit with the least substance.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Completely agreed. Shanghai Disneyland, being the only new park (and resort) constructed in the last few years, shouldn’t have this problem. They’ve had over 6 decades to learn the impact of sight lines on immersion and even successfully applied lessons on that front to WDW in the 60s and 70s. The fact that the newest park barely reflects that is a bad sign and explains some of the awful decisions currently being made domestically.

Nevertheless, here we are, with a solid park that’s weaker on the immersion front than any of its US sisters (besides a few splashes of brilliance), and unique, innovative design work that’s constantly at war with some really poor placement decisions.

I had a great time at both, but Shanghai claimed the single most fun attraction (Tron) and probably the most wow-inducing (Pirates). Land-for-land, I also think it’s better than HKDL with a few exceptions (Mickey Avenue is weaker than Main Street; TSL feels weird at both; does the hub really need to be its own area?). That said, I’d still choose to return to HKDL first, which is much more successful at establishing a positive feeling throughout. Almost seems like Shanghai didn’t even try there, but after strolling around Fantasyland with all the lanterns lit, I can’t help but feel they did. It’s baffling.

Fantasyland at SDL is just jaw-droppingly lazy. Everything about it screams apathy. No cohesion, no design point of view.

I enjoyed TRON but can't rate it as a top draw because it's so unbelievably short. Pirates is absolutely incredible though. The whole Pirate/Adventure Isle area is the strongest part of the park IMO.

SDL just doesn't add up for me. I'm glad I went, and I'll go back eventually, but I'd hit up HKDL tomorrow given the opportunity. It's just a joy to visit.

jaxonp

Fantasyland at SDL is just jaw-droppingly lazy. Everything about it screams apathy. No cohesion, no design point of view.

I enjoyed TRON but can't rate it as a top draw because it's so unbelievably short. Pirates is absolutely incredible though. The whole Pirate/Adventure Isle area is the strongest part of the park IMO.

SDL just doesn't add up for me. I'm glad I went, and I'll go back eventually, but I'd hit up HKDL tomorrow given the opportunity. It's just a joy to visit.

Far better cast members too, second only to Tokyo.

BrianLo

To be fair the exact same thing could be said on eisner’s HKDL fantasyland. Only tolerable now with some time and added attractions.

Fantasyland should be the easiest thing to pull off and yet both phone it in. Even MK’s still isn’t that great with all its expansion.

Meanwhile a non-castle park is arguably getting the correct and most complete modern take on Fantasyland. Whyyyy?

BrianLo

Adventureland at SDL does not get enough love. I think because the attractions are a little under capacity, but the challenge trail areas are sublime. The Roaring Rapids is great but needs some obligatory ten year plant growth and Soaring of course is strong but completely skipable for domestic audiences. I’m not waiting 2 hours ever.

The whole Eastern stretch of the park is its (and WDI’s) redeeming qualities.

GiveMeTheMusic

To be fair the exact same thing could be said on eisner’s HKDL fantasyland. Only tolerable now with some time and added attractions.

Fantasyland should be the easiest thing to pull off and yet both phone it in. Even MK’s still isn’t that great with all its expansion.

Meanwhile a non-castle park is arguably getting the correct and most complete modern take on Fantasyland. Whyyyy?

HKDL’s Fantasyland practically oozes charm compared to SDL, and moreso since small world and Fantasy Forest were added. I think a big part of it is that it’s contained. SDL’s Fantasyland feels like an office park. No boundaries, no sense of space.

jaxonp

HKDL’s Fantasyland practically oozes charm compared to SDL, and moreso since small world and Fantasy Forest were added. I think a big part of it is that it’s contained. SDL’s Fantasyland feels like an office park. No boundaries, no sense of space.

There is no fantasyland, it’s attractions are hanging out in front of the castle. They should have done away with the fantasyland concept all together once dumbo and the carousel we’re lampooned to the front. It would have been better to do a peter pan land in the back like what TDS is doing. SDL could have opened with an incredible fantasy land concept beyond Peter Pan (which is nice) and SDMT that's a poor copy of what's at MK. That ride should have been larger and better in everyday but they just went for the copy but didn't capture all the details that MK has... I'm still confused how that park cost as much as it did. I'm sure, it'll get better over time, but some of these design issues seem very very half hearted.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think HKDL suffered from the early emptiness of the park, which has seemingly been remedied a lot with the number of new additions (I haven't been in the past 5 years), but it is definitely a charming park. I understand them wanting a bigger castle but I do kind of like the castle they have now.

One other thing you can't get at ANY other Disney park...I'll have to find the photo, but if you climb up the treehouse, about 1/3 of the way up, you overlook the Jungle Cruise area, and behind it is nothing but forest and mountains....it truly gives the impression that if you go on their Jungle Cruise, you're REALLY in for an adventure into the unknown

Edit: Found the photo

hkdl31.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom