HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

Magic Feather

The loss of the second gate plot is a huge loss for Disney. Admittedly, I know that its likelihood of getting developed soon was unfortunately low, especially with Shanghai, but that is the plot of land I was most looking forward to seeing a Disney Park on. The way it sat against the water would have allowed for similar sight lines to the likes of Tokyo Disney Se that would have been amazing.

I just hope that Disney is still able to hold onto enough land by the main concourse to make a shopping+dining district.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The loss of the second gate plot is a huge loss for Disney. Admittedly, I know that its likelihood of getting developed soon was unfortunately low, especially with Shanghai, but that is the plot of land I was most looking forward to seeing a Disney Park on. The way it sat against the water would have allowed for similar sight lines to the likes of Tokyo Disney Se that would have been amazing.

I just hope that Disney is still able to hold onto enough land by the main concourse to make a shopping+dining district.

Losing the first right to buy doesn't mean they still can't buy it.

Disneylover152

here is an interesting article which deails the restrictions on the second park site:

‘The deed of restrictive covenant ensures the fairytale world remains visually distinct from its surroundings and that the landscape is aesthetically compatible with the attraction.

The unused plot cannot be used for residential purposes, commercial facilities, hotels, other entertainment venues or theme parks. Any buildings erected must be less than 20 metres (66 feet) tall and only low-intensity use is permitted.

Despite the limitations, a range of facilities could still be constructed, including a park, an indoor aquarium, an arena, live theatres, government offices, restaurants or an exhibition centre, to name a few.’

with the Hong Kong government owning the majority of Hong Kong International theme parks it will be interesting to see if Disney can enforce the restrictions or if the government will alter them to get more out of a valuable site

I wonder if Disney can somehow work around this and buy the land and build a Downtown Disney like area, and use the remaining space to build a park on the remainder as a placeholder for the second gate? Is that even possible?

I'm also confused at the part "The unused plot cannot be used for residential purposes, commercial facilities, hotels, other entertainment venues or theme parks". Does this mean even if Disney bought the property they couldn't build a theme park on it? Also what's stopping Disney from buying the property and not building on it? Is that not allowed? Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm just curious as to what this means for Disney and if they can work around it.

hkdisky

buy the land and build a Downtown Disney
The park already reserve area for Downtown Disney (since 2005).

The unused plot cannot be used for residential purposes, commercial facilities, hotels, other entertainment venues or theme parks
I think the purpose is to prevent competitors (like universal) build theme parks next to HKDL.

Robbiem

I expect the most likely use will be a shopping centre a poor use for such a great site.

Disney should have built a downtown with the park as they did in Paris and Shanghai

Disneylover152

I expect the most likely use will be a shopping centre a poor use for such a great site.

Disney should have built a downtown with the park as they did in Paris and Shanghai

This is VERY blue sky and really not possible, but I wonder if Disney could build a mall on that site, and leave a lot of empty room for rides. Then in 10 or 15 years when they're ready to build a new park they could just build the rides and leave the restaurants & shops.

Robbiem

Reading local news articles its interesting that the HK government says that its not a priority to develop the site and it is considering altering the zoning to allow building you can see from the resort area.

I wonder if this is tactics to get Disney to pay more for the land or if the relationship has deteriorated so much they are just trying ti screw each other.

This is VERY blue sky and really not possible, but I wonder if Disney could build a mall on that site, and leave a lot of empty room for rides. Then in 10 or 15 years when they're ready to build a new park they could just build the rides and leave the restaurants & shops.
I think the plan was to build a Downtown Disney along the Park Promenade (which idk why they didn't make it)
The plot of land was solely reserved for Gate II

HKDLer

I wonder if this is tactics to get Disney to pay more for the land
Certainly is. This also paves the way for the controversial East Lantau Metropolis project as they are putting temporary housing quarantine centres on the site to justify the needs of transportation and other infrastructure around the area.

C6F33BDA-230A-40E8-8861-FEB8D275E765.jpeg

That said, I still hope they focus on the current resort area first. There’s still a lot of work to do to make this a holiday destination. As mentioned by hkdisky above, there is already more than sufficient land reserved for Downtown Disney (~half the size of Disney Springs) However I doubt the current model of DTD can compete with the shopping malls that are located along the railway line. Something like a Cirque du Soleil show and perhaps more will be more appealing to the locals, otherwise there’s no reason to stay and spend inside the Disney bubble.

Last edited:

PymParty

This is one of the best example of the great masterplaning of the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort and the expectations of growth of the resort they had in mind during construction :

Lantau.png
竹篙灣_香港迪士尼樂園度假區_Penny's_Bay,_Hong_Kong_Disneyland_Resort,_2014.jpg

At first glance, one might wonder why the end of Penny's bay Highway, when arriving at the first Disney roundabout, gets its two sides separated by consequent gap and not immediately next to each other like every other roads.

The explanation is simple and lies in the planned growth of the resort at the time of of its construction : as we can see on HKDLer's post and the following plan, Penny's Bay highway was planned to be extended into to mountains at the east of the roundabout to join a planned highway at the far east of Lantau Island. Therefore these two lanes would have ended up being slip roads to access the resort from the extended Highway, and have to be separated by a gap in order to fit the continuing Highway in between them !

unnamed.jpg

Today, more than 15 years later, this unusually big roundabout still sits very lonely without any projects in view...

I hope that, at least, if East Lantau Metropolis gets greenlight, they could use and extend the existing transport infrastructures (Penny's Bay Highway and MTR Disneyland Resort Line) in order to get more local traffic passing by the resort !

Last edited:

Robbiem

This is one of the best example of the great masterplaning of the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort and the expectations of growth of the resort they had in mind during construction :

View attachment 501560View attachment 501575

At first glance, one might wonder why the end of Penny's bay Highway, when arriving at the first Disney roundabout, gets its two sides separated by consequent gap and not immediately next to each other like every other roads.

The explanation is simple and lies in the planned growth of the resort at the time of of its construction : as we can see on HKDLer's post and the following plan, Penny's Bay highway was planned to be extended into to mountains at the east of the roundabout to join a planned highway at the far east of Lantau Island. Therefore these two lanes would have ended up being slip roads to access the resort from the extended Highway, and have to be separated by a gap in order to fit the continuing Highway in between them !

View attachment 501562

Today, more than 15 years later, this unusually big roundabout still sits very lonely without any projects in view...

I hope that, at least, if East Lantau Metropolis gets greenlight, they could use and extend the existing transport infrastructures (Penny's Bay Highway and MTR Disneyland Resort Line) in order to get more local traffic passing by the resort !
You have a similar road like this where I live in London, UK. The M11 motorway was planned to be extended into the city but ends on the outskirts the road separated and ends at what were planned to be sliproads to a never built motorway to a never built airport. Future planning at its finest 😀✌️
lets hope the Lantau planners have better luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom