HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

No Name

Where did you get these?

The highest four pieces of art are from when they were originally designing the park and have leaked over the years. When the budget wasn't high enough, they decided to build a clone of DL's castle. The lowest two are from the current add-on project.

RandySavage

The highest four pieces of art are from when they were originally designing the park and have leaked over the years. When the budget wasn't high enough, they decided to build a clone of DL's castle. The lowest two are from the current add-on project.

Correctamundo.

HK had an interesting design history (from what I can gather)... whereas most other parks I can think of we can see how the design evolved in an organic way from the earliest plans to what was built.

1. There was an early HKDL plan (from the Making of HKDL book) that was very small with the Small World castle/ride at the back of the park). That is seen in Armitage's IASW castle.

2. Then there was what most would expect - a unique castle park in a similar vein to DLP - with a Rapids Ride in Frontierland and Dino Coaster in Adventureland... You can/could find art (Making More Magic Real book) & even a partial plan (on an ex-WDI architect's site - whish I could remember his name!). The unique castles by John Hor-y and Ahmad Jafari above reflect that park. The original press release also reflected this park.

3. Unfortunately, that plan was tossed, the budget slashed, (I believe) a new executive designer brought in (Tom Morris), and they started from scratch. With a very small budget the park was tiny, and the unique castle became a clone of Anaheim's (as seen in the Chris Smith painting). It's like they sold Hong Kong on one park, then delivered them another.

4. Now, happily, we are seeing the park coming into its own in terms of content and unique attractions, and the new castle is a reflection of that new chapter (hopefully, it turns out well).

Last edited:

Disneylover152

But there can only be one Castle Cake.

Technically, there were two...

1519699145420.png
wdw96castle.jpg

Filipe_L

I've been thinking about why WDI did not propose a HKDL version of Cars Land. I believe it can works well if they put it next to the big grizzly mountain runaway mine cars in the empty area reserved to future expansion. The rocks integration between the two lands looks work very well, but I don't know if Cars movies are popular in China... maybe after the corrently expantion they will going to considerate something like this for that area...

HDL VERSION OF CARS LAND - COPY.png

BrianLo

I've been thinking about why WDI did not propose a HKDL version of Cars Land. I believe it can works well if they put it next to the big grizzly mountain runaway mine cars in the empty area reserved to future expansion. The rocks integration between the two lands looks work very well, but I don't know if Cars movies are popular in China... maybe after the corrently expantion they will going to considerate something like this for that area...

View attachment 267025

That is of course the one sweepingly obvious expansion plot after this current round.

The decisions were largely driven to balance out the park. That flank obviously had a ton of investment. Fantasyland is abysmal and they felt Tomorrowland could be better capatalized on.

The proposal mentions an undecided 2021 project though. I sort of figure that would be Toy Story Midway mania at best or something smaller like a show or flat.

After all this is said and done I expect if HKDL is finally more settled into the Black they turn back towards Park two.

GiveMeTheMusic

View attachment 267025

With any luck, Cars Land will remain a DCA exclusive.

Filipe_L

I don't see Disney spending that kind of money on a Cars area again. They have much more popular franchises now with Star Wars, Frozen, Marvel etc. Plus John is no longer around to advocate for it (and its quality).
Maybe a smaller version of the SDL Pirates area with the new ride Pirates of the Caribbean battle for the sunken treasure and the pirates show. It's a good IP with a lot of potential to improve and grou up the guests presence

brb1006

Is that official?
This concept art seens amazing. It really can save the problens of WDS. Is there the Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and a Arendelle land? I loved the lake idea, maybe I'm also seen a expansion to TSL next to the Rex attraction...
Yes that is official.

RunningKoen

The blueprints strip away the flash of the concept art and give a clear idea of what they will be doing.
Note the five (or more) flying buttresses ascending around the supertall tower - a nice touch that wasn't clear in the art. Also can spot Mushu clinging to one spire.

There are numbers linked to the height levels (level 8, 9, overall top). Could this be the hight? Would be around 51 meters?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom