HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

Asa

Paul Rudd, Kevin Feige and Peyton Reed will join the opening ceremony of “Ant-Man and The Wasp: Nano Battle!” on 28 March. The ride opens on 31 March.

PymParty

After looking at this picture, we clearly can see that stairs are being built in the castle expansion, should we look forward to a walkthrough in the new castle ?

source : HKDL of Fantasy

IMDREW

I'm excited to see the work coming along, and I agree that a unique castle will help the park, but I am concerned about two things. One is the color scheme and clashing design choices, but hopefully it will look better than in the art. Two, and I'm concerned about this more than the first, is the scale. I'm concerned that it will look out of place in relation to the size of Main Street. Time will tell and I hope that I am wrong.
I think everyone is worried about the colors and clashing design choices. I really do like the top part of the new castle. At least that part looks cohesive. And I’m also excited for the greenery added throughout the structure. I think that could be really unique and beautiful.

My biggest worry is what happens when these expansions don’t work out? It’s a big investment and if nothing changes in visitors/profits it might be the last one I’m afraid.

EarthboundChild

My biggest worry is what happens when these expansions don’t work out? It’s a big investment and if nothing changes in visitors/profits it might be the last one I’m afraid.
That is a concern of mine as well, which is why I am heavily hoping for the success of HK Disney.

A second gate could be tremendous for HK Disney if done right and could give it something unique that would call out to tourists to visit. Plus it would be a huge boon to hotel attendance if HK Disneyland Resort is no longer a doable one day visit. However, that would never happen without a great increase in attendance numbers so the fate of a second gate will lie in the hands of Arendelle and the Avengers...

RandySavage

While HKDL's future holds my interest more than any other theme park, I wouldn't be completely surprised if the concerns above ended up happening (i.e., the $1.4 billion expansion doesn't work). I'm of course hoping for success and a lot of further investment.

Antman: My expectations for this are very modest, as it appears to be a basic re-skin. I think those expecting a new or radically improved attraction are going to be disappointed. We'll know very shortly.

Castle: This will be the most fun to watch appear when it finally starts to come together (which will be many months from now, judging by the current pace). I think it will have a similar affect as Buena Vista St/Carthay Circle had for DCA: not a ride but a major visual improvement that gives the park a worthy icon, a new life & fresh, exciting identity.

Frozen: My hope is that the main ride is more than just a direct lift of EPCOT's ride. Some have noted the building appears to be bigger. That very large ice mountain weenie seems to indicate an E-ticket experience (a long, AA- & music-filled, detailed flume with numerous show scenes and multiple drops is what HKDL really needs, IMO). I know that's too much to hope for, but maybe a slightly longer, improved version of FEA. For the coaster, I'd be happy if it has the scale & quality of SDMT, though the real estate doesn't seem to allow for it in the first plan.

Avengers E-ticket: the big swing for the fences risk. With luck, by the time it is rising over Tomorrowland (~2022), the aforementioned will have already turned HKDL profitable.

fctiger

While HKDL's future holds my interest more than any other theme park, I wouldn't be completely surprised if the concerns above ended up happening (i.e., the $1.4 billion expansion doesn't work). I'm of course hoping for success and a lot of further investment.

Antman: My expectations for this are very modest, as it appears to be a basic re-skin. I think those expecting a new or radically improved attraction are going to be disappointed. We'll know very shortly.

Castle: This will be the most fun to watch appear when it finally starts to come together (which will be many months from now, judging by the current pace). I think it will have a similar affect as Buena Vista St/Carthay Circle had for DCA: not a ride but a major visual improvement that gives the park a worthy icon, a new life & fresh, exciting identity.

Frozen: My hope is that the main ride is more than just a direct lift of EPCOT's ride. Some have noted the building appears to be bigger. That very large ice mountain weenie seems to indicate an E-ticket experience (a long, AA- & music-filled, detailed flume with numerous show scenes and multiple drops is what HKDL really needs, IMO). I know that's too much to hope for, but maybe a slightly longer, improved version of FEA. For the coaster, I'd be happy if it has the scale & quality of SDMT, though the real estate doesn't seem to allow for it in the first plan.

Avengers E-ticket: the big swing for the fences risk. With luck, by the time it is rising over Tomorrowland (~2022), the aforementioned will have already turned HKDL profitable.

I can't disagree with this too much and in fact I too am really excited about the future of HKDL since my last visit in May. Like DCA did, they have a real chance to turn things around and so far all the additions in the last few years have been major improvements. I can't wait to see what they do with AMATW but yeah you may be right and its nothing more than just a Marvel version of Buzz but its going to be done with very updated technology too. As long as its fun I'm good with that.

But all the other additions: Castle, Frozen and the Avengers ride is what will redefine the park IMO. It started with Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point areas but these will finally turn it into a full day park (crazy to say that for something that is nearly 15 years old lol) and it will do wonders for its image overall. Marvel land and Frozen will bring an instant identity the other areas can't and a new castle will make it stand out as its own theme park and not just feel like a copy of the other MKs.

And I imagine Hong Kongers must have felt a little castle envy when they see the massive castle Shanghai has while HKDL literally has one of the smallest lol. While its just a coincidence both of those castles kind of represented the parks in a way. SDL: Bold, big, unique and stylistic. HDL: Small, unimaginative and derivative. It sadly speaks to the impression of the park when it opened. Thankfully that impression is changing.

EarthboundChild

The rides of Arendelle will be a big deal, but an even bigger deal is that they will have an exclusive Arendelle land, which would be something unique to it outside of potentially Disneyland Paris (which serves as different a market as possible). It's something the U.S. parks can't boast of and is an incredibly marketable IP to boot. Tokyo Disneyland will have a Frozen theme to go along with Fantasy Springs but it is a shared themed land rather than one solely dedicated to Frozen. It's something that can really market to draw guests if they can make them really feel like they are stepping into Arendelle. The appeal of being able to journey to Elsa's Ice Palace and an addition of an IP themed roller coaster cannot be understated.

While I personally am lukewarm over too much IP invasion into the parks and wish we get more modern original rides like the amazing Mystic Manor, I cannot deny that this is really the shot in the arm that HK Disneyland needs. While I understand the view that the Avengers e-ticket is a swing for the fences experience, and it likely will be the most ambitious ride, Arendelle is going to be a pivotal trump card that will be just as important if not more so (considering it comes out 1 - 2 years earlier).

I am glad it's HK Disneyland that received this and not Shanghai as the latter doesn't really need it for its survival.

Attachments

• Frozen_Land_HKDL_Concept.jpg
    Frozen_Land_HKDL_Concept.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 181

Timothy_Q

The rides of Arendelle will be a big deal, but an even bigger deal is that they will have an exclusive Arendelle land, which would be something unique to it outside of potentially Disneyland Paris (which serves as different a market as possible). It's something the U.S. parks can't boast of and is an incredibly marketable IP to boot. Tokyo Disneyland will have a Frozen theme to go along with Fantasy Springs but it is a shared themed land rather than one solely dedicated to Frozen. It's something that can really market to draw guests if they can make them really feel like they are stepping into Arendelle. The appeal of being able to journey to Elsa's Ice Palace and an addition of an IP themed roller coaster cannot be understated.
HKD: Hey you can now explore Arandelle and go on this kinda underwhelming D-ticket we copied from WDW!

TDR: Hey you can now explore Arandelle, Corona and Neverland and ride 3 completely unique E tickets!

Don't know about you, but I sure know which one I'd choose to visit

Last edited:

jrhwdw

While I personally am lukewarm over too much IP invasion into the parks and wish we get more modern original rides like the amazing Mystic Manor, I cannot deny that this is really the shot in the arm that HK Disneyland needs. While I understand the view that the Avengers e-ticket is a swing for the fences experience, and it likely will be the most ambitious ride, Arendelle is going to be a pivotal trump card that will be just as important if not more so (considering it comes out 1 - 2 years earlier).

I am glad it's HK Disneyland that received this and not Shanghai as the latter doesn't really need it for its survival.
HKD: Hey you can now explore Arandelle and go on this kinda underwhelming D-ticket we copied from WDW!

TDR: Hey you can now explore Arandelle, Corona and Neverland and ride 3 completely unique E tickets!

Don't know about you, but I sure know which one I'd choose to visit
Isn't TDS getting a Frozen land too?

PymParty

Isn't TDS getting a Frozen land too?

The difference is that HKDL will get an immersive Arendelle-only area made to look like you walk into the movie set with an E-ticket boat ride, a coaster, themed shopping and dining (WDSP will get the same area eventually but on a smaller scale) whereas TDS's Frozen area will be part of the Fantasy Spring land along with Neverland from Peter Pan and Corona from Tangled, so the land will not be as immersive as HKDL concerning Arendelle, it will only feature one Frozen E-ticket, shopping and dining, but the whole of it will be much bigger and grand.
However, both Frozen E-ticket rides in HKDL and TDS will be different and TDS's one is expected to be much more impressive (the building footprint is HUGE)

Think of TDS's area more like a Nature/Spring heavily themed Fantasyland with different IPs grouped together, one of them being Frozen, and HKDL's area as the Frozen equivalent to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom