History America Them Park?

worfbb77

Original Poster
Hey,

I remeber a while ago, maybe about five years ago, Disney was planing a American History Park. What happened to it,where was going to be, because if memory serves it was going to be near DC area. ANyone have info that could help me I would greatly appricate it.

Thanks

Mission: SPACE

I'm not extremely familiar with the project, but Disney had plans to build a park in a rural, historical region of Virginia and the local residents pleaded to keep them out due to it's history and low profile.

tim5055

Taking a Stand on Hallowed Ground
worfbb77 said:
Hey,

I remeber a while ago, maybe about five years ago, Disney was planing a American History Park. What happened to it,where was going to be, because if memory serves it was going to be near DC area. ANyone have info that could help me I would greatly appricate it.

Thanks

It was a liitle more like 10 years ago in Manassas, VA.

"On 3,000 acres, four miles west of the Manassas Battlefield, the company proposed to invest more than $650 million to build a 400-acre history theme park, as many as 6,000 housing units, 1,300 hotel rooms, 2 million square feet of commercial space, a water park, a campground, and golf courses. Disney officials estimated that 6 million tourists would come every year, bringing wallets laden with cash and credit cards. The complex was supposed eventually to generate 19,000 jobs and millions of dollars in tax revenue."

The Battle to Stop Disney's America

Making Economic Sense - Eisnerizing Manassas

Mickey Mouse Walks Away from a Fight

Those should give you the picture

MCMike37

While my info might be dated, I grew up about ten minutes from where this park was supposed to be. Syaing that, I know how and stupid people in taht area of the country can be (Talking more along the lines of politicians, not the people actually living there)

For as many people that were voclal against the project, I can't tell you the number of "Disney America" bumper stickers I saw on cars in the area around the time period. I can understand their concerns, and I viewed it more of a problem as what else would be attracted to the area beyond Disney. Disney on their oewn I feel would have been fine, but stack on all the strip malls and such that would ineitably follow and I can somewhat understand their worry. However, looking at that region now (Especially comparing Manassas from 20 years ago to the Manassas of today), it is already built up and very "commercial" now. In my view, they really only delayed what came to the town and area anyways.

diddy_mouse

being a resident of Manassas, i remember news reports about Disney America. however, we had just moved to the area so i don't recall all the details. to me it seemed like a good idea in theory, but looking at the area and surrounding vicinities, the plan would not have worked. one reason being traffic.

just my two cents :wave:

MCMike37

I am fairly sure Disney had a plan to improve the road conditions, but it would have required the county/state to front some of the money for the project which was also a sticking point. Could be wrong on this agian though since it was so long ago.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
diddy_mouse said:
being a resident of Manassas, i remember news reports about Disney America. however, we had just moved to the area so i don't recall all the details. to me it seemed like a good idea in theory, but looking at the area and surrounding vicinities, the plan would not have worked. one reason being traffic.

just my two cents :wave:

That was one of the areas concerns.... The amount of traffic that would hinder/cripple the area... But also they were afraid of the "cheapening of the area/history" (values and such) and making history seem "Disney squeaky clean" and "Disneyfied"

PhotoDave219

I used to live there (off of Rt 15 in Haymarket) and im not about to rehash this old topic.

Lets just say they didnt get the money to the right people... the developers who have since built houses on that land thereby ruining that "hallowed" ground stood a lot of money to lose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom