historical ticket prices

enough

Original Poster
Hi all -

trying to find historical ticket prices for WDW - hopefully parkhopper ticks, but individuals will work too going back to when they first started using whole park tickets instead of the letter tickets (e, etc.).

I'm planning on starting a family soon, and I know a trip to the world is inevitable in about 8 years or so, so I want to do some analysis to see if it's better to purchase tickets now (knowing that they never expire) or is it better to set aside money in, say, a cd if the interest on the cd is better than the year over year increase in ticket sales.

...or has someone alredy done this analysis?

anywho - if you know where I can find historical ticket prices I'd be forever grateful.

thanks.

chotasahib

Found this article, originally from the Orlando Sentinel:
Ticket Prices Increasing

Although the article does not list year by year prices, it does talk about rates of ticket inflation (on average, and also in exceptional years). It says tickets have increased (cumulatively) in price 96% since 1989; I think I read recently that it's 150% if you go back to 1985.

MKCP 1985

Originally posted by enough

I'm planning on starting a family soon, and I know a trip to the world is inevitable in about 8 years or so, so I want to do some analysis to see if it's better to purchase tickets now (knowing that they never expire) or is it better to set aside money in, say, a cd if the interest on the cd is better than the year over year increase in ticket sales.

enough, your financial advisor would like to have some serious words with you!

You want to know whether setting money aside in an interest bearing account or buying Walt Disney World tickets for your unborn children is the better investment? Hmmmm. . . . :confused:

enough

Original Poster
well, no - unless the numbers work out, which is why I want to know what the year over year percent increase in ticket costs is.

that's why i'd like to know what the cost of tickets are now compared with the past 10 years.

btw - this little exercise is not indicative of how I handle my finances, so have no fear for my unborn children!

MKCP 1985

Originally posted by enough
btw - this little exercise is not indicative of how I handle my finances, so have no fear for my unborn children!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just joking around with you. Disney tickets have probably outperformed the stock market in the last couple of years. Too bad they aren't transferable. I have a photo of an old 4 day pass from 1994 in my photo album.

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=8481&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

From that ticket, it looks like the cost 10 years ago was $129.00, or $32.25 per day, plus tax, and that was a discounted rate for Magic Kingdom Club members. Today, a 4 day park hopper pass, with advance internet purchase, is $202.00, plus tax, an increase of 56.6%.

mwc1996

Don't forget in your analysis to factor in taxes on the interest you earn. In today's market with CD rates as low as they are you would probably be better off purchasing the tickets now. Having said that I still wouldn't recommend purchasing the tickets until it is closer to time to go because there are so many things that can happen between now and then. You never know when an exta thousand dollars could come in handy (assuming you have 3 kids, about a grand is about what 5 day park hopper tickets would cost you).

Laura

OMG! I can't believe the first time I went to disney you could get a 3 day park hopper for only $30!!

I actually have one of those 4 day park hoppers from 1989. I used the first 3 days when I was a baby and used the last day as a teenager. I'm not sure where I put it though.

aimster

I still have my 1 day tickets from when I visited MK and Epcot back in 1987... was $27 for each park.

Ahhhhhhhhh... the good old pre-inflation days.

*sigh*

GrumpysGal

Wow. So one day tickets, if you haven't used them, never expire? I didn't know that. Well, I never really thought about it since I buy them when I enter the park or when I plan to go. Learned something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom