Hilton Head

beryl628

We are leaving for HH on Friday. Just had a few questions.

How is the roach situation there?

Can you rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach?

Anyone know of good places to eat?

Anyone do the dolphin cruise?

Anything special to do there???

thanks so much!

PixyDust

Well, we've stayed there probably 5 or 6 times, but just for a night, so I can't answer a single question you asked. I can tell you though that you will get a big "book" with all of the restaurants and their menus upon check in. And there's always something to do. You'll get a nice calendar of things to do in your check in packet as well.
I'm sending my parents there for their 40th anniversary in October (pixie dust for no hurricanes please) and I gave them my last Welcome Home packet so they could pick out things they wanted to see. Otherwise I'd have tons of info for you.
You will enjoy your stay there. It is such a calm, relaxed resort. I love it there!

Upvote 0

HHI Surfer

I actually have lived in Hilton Head all summer (see my user name) and I have been visiting here since I was a child, so I can help you, hopefully.

I'll answer your questions in order:

The roach/palmetto bug situation here is a little worse than most places you're probably used to, although I'm sure the Disney resort is sprayed regularly.

You can rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach.. if not at the Disney beach resort, then just down the beach a little ways (I actually happen to live across the lagoon from the Disney beach resort.)

Hilton Head has tons of great places to eat! It all depends on what you like (hopefully seafood, lol). If you do enjoy shrimp, crab, etc. then Charlie's Crab and Hudson's are two great places, although pricey. Very close to the Disney beach resort is Alexander's, another great seafood place, and even more expensive. Let me know what you're looking for and I'd be glad to help more, if I can.

I have done a couple of the dolphin cruises and they are very fun. Seeing the dolphins is great, of course, but riding the waves on those little boats can be pretty exhilirating too.

As far as anything special to do.. you could come visit me! lol. I work at one of the t-shirt shops at the South Beach Marina.. home of the Salty Dog Cafe. If you have little kids, they seem to especially enjoy coming down there. There are a couple decent restaurants too. You can also try jet-skiing, parasailing, visiting Dafauskie Island, etc. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Upvote 0

beryl628

Original Poster
HHI Surfer said:
I actually have lived in Hilton Head all summer (see my user name) and I have been visiting here since I was a child, so I can help you, hopefully.

I'll answer your questions in order:

The roach/palmetto bug situation here is a little worse than most places you're probably used to, although I'm sure the Disney resort is sprayed regularly.

You can rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach.. if not at the Disney beach resort, then just down the beach a little ways (I actually happen to live across the lagoon from the Disney beach resort.)

Hilton Head has tons of great places to eat! It all depends on what you like (hopefully seafood, lol). If you do enjoy shrimp, crab, etc. then Charlie's Crab and Hudson's are two great places, although pricey. Very close to the Disney beach resort is Alexander's, another great seafood place, and even more expensive. Let me know what you're looking for and I'd be glad to help more, if I can.

I have done a couple of the dolphin cruises and they are very fun. Seeing the dolphins is great, of course, but riding the waves on those little boats can be pretty exhilirating too.

As far as anything special to do.. you could come visit me! lol. I work at one of the t-shirt shops at the South Beach Marina.. home of the Salty Dog Cafe. If you have little kids, they seem to especially enjoy coming down there. There are a couple decent restaurants too. You can also try jet-skiing, parasailing, visiting Dafauskie Island, etc. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I am traveling with my almost 1 year old (along with my husband, mother and grandmother) and another family that has a 3yr,7yr and 9yr)

Do you have any suggestions and places for them??? Also we are not all seafood eaters...so some good other places would help :)

Is "PAU HANA & FLYING CIRCUS Catamarans" a good place for the dolphin cruise? also is it too choppy for a 1yr and an 85yr old?

Are there any good mini golf places? Amusement places? Taffy? any other thing that you think would be fun?

How about Horseback riding???

Thanks so much for all your help!

(Let us know when you are working and we will come in and say hi! :)

Upvote 0

SallyShine

They have great childrens programs at the resort. They will give you a news letter with the dates and times of everything when you check in. We've been there twice, each time for a week. We really love it. There are hundreds of restaurants so you won't have any trouble finding places to eat. There is a really great pizza place close by, I think is called Guiseppis (sp?). Renting bikes is also fun. Be sure to save time to relax by the pool.

Upvote 0

tkdmom

You can rent chairs and umbrellas at the Disney beach area. It is wonderful having the pool and beach alongside like they do. There is also a small restaurant at the beach pool for lunch. Disney also has a clam bake at night, which we missed but heard great things about.

When you check in, you will get a list of area restaurants that have a relationship with Disney and you'll get discounts. Also, many places have early bird specials. Disney CMs were very helpful with where to eat with kids.

The resort itself has tons to do with kids and families. You'll only be bored if you want to.

If you can swing it, you should also try the kayaking. It was easy to navigate and the guides teach you what to before you start. You go into the marsh just behind the property. It was beautiful and the guides had lots of info. and stories. Very fun.

You can also rent bikes (they have the little kiddie carts) that are nice to get around and to the beach and back.

If you don't mind a little travel for great food (with kids) go to Tybee Island and the Crab Shack. The food is fabulous, atmosphere very down home and laid back. If the kids get antsy, take them outside to see the gators . We brought our 2, 7, and 11 year olds thereand had a great time.

Have fun!!

Upvote 0

HHI Surfer

Seems like everyone else has the food question covered (and it's a good thing, since I live on a steady diet of cereal and Chex Mix).

As for your other questions:

Uh, I'm actually going on the Flying Circus catamaran tonight, so I'll give you more of my opinion about that establishment after :) The choppiness of the dolphin cruises all depends on the people doing the driving.. I would just call and tell them you have an older person and a very young person coming and see what they say.

As far as mini-golf, there are about 4 or 5 on the island, if I believe. In my opinion, the best two are Pirate's Island (I think that's what it's called) and Adventure Cove. Adventure Cove also has an arcade in it, if your young ones would like that sort of thing.

For horseback riding, the only place that I know of that does that is Lawton Stables, in Sea Pines, which is towards the southern end of the island. As far as I know they have a good reputation.

Someone mentioned kayaking, and that is a lot of fun. You can try canoeing too, if that's more your speed, on the inland waterways.. if the area around the Disney resort doesn't offer that, you can do it in Palmetto Dunes (you don't have to pass through the gates - it's at the bike shop on the right as you come in).

If you're into historical areas, it's worth the trip to check out Savannah, GA, one of the most interesting towns anywhere in my opinion. You can eat at the Pirate House, take a "ghost tour" in a hearse (Savannah is supposedly the most haunted city in America, if you believe that sort of thing), take a movie tour (lots of movies have been shot in Savannah), or just walk around and look at the old houses.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I am going to HH in a couple of weeks myself to check everything out. I have been looking at restaurant reviews, etc. I actually looked at tripadvisor.com to check on some of them.

I have a 14 and a 19 year old. I am just worried that they will be bored there. What about the teens? Can you suggest anything close to the resort for them? We do have a day trip to Savannah planned and I already purchased tickets for one of the walking ghost tours and I would like to try to get into Paula Deens restaurant Lady and Sons to eat.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks!

Pam

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

If you don't already know, when you're driving anywhere, make sure whoever is riding shotgun has eagle eyes.

One of the simultaneously nice/pain-in-the-butt things about Hilton Head is that they don't allow roads to be festooned with bright, garish, hundred-feet-in-the-sky signs for businesses. On the plus side, it helps make the place look that much more beautiful, with no giant golden arches or gas station signs cluttering up the view. All the signs are low, neutrally colored, without ultra-shiny backlights. On the negative side, it makes it THAT much harder to find what you're looking for. Doubly so at night. So whoever has the keenest vision shouldn't be the driver, rather, they should be in the passenger side, scouring the landscape for your destination.

Upvote 0

PixyDust

Paula Deen's:

I went to The Lady and Sons' back in May. You need to get there a couple of hours before dinner time and put your name in. You can't call in reservations. They'll take your name and tell you when to come back. When its time, you stand across the street in a long line and they bring out a dinner bell. The crier will announce that its dinner time, and then you have to listen carefully for your name. It takes about 30 minutes for them to get everyone in on that first seating. And they don't have a loud speaker, so you have to really listen for your name.

There are autographed cookbooks for sale, as well as many other items. You need to ask for an autographed one though, as they all cost the same, and if you're going to plunk down $25 for a recipe book, it might as well be signed in my opinion.

The food is good. Don't get too hyped up though or you'll be let down. It is just country food. Good country food, but nothing really out of the ordinary at all. I enjoyed it, but once is enough for me. You have to do it once if you're a fan! Wouldn't you know that the week I was there, Bobby and Jamie were filming their show - they are normally there. Bummer!

Upvote 0

PixyDust

Kingdom Konsultant said:
I had read that you had to stand in line in order to get signed up for a dinner time. I can't wait to go. I love her show.

Pam

I'm glad I did it. And the food is very good. I don't know what I expected her fried chicken to taste like... you know how you get these unreal expectations, like so many do with food at WDW? Just go there knowing the food will be good, but don't get too hyped up. And of course, you MUST have "not yo momma's nanna puddin" for dessert!:slurp:

Upvote 0

HHI Surfer

update: pau hauna & the flying circus is a good rental place. i had forgotten, but i rented jet skis from there a few years ago and had a great time.

also: yeah, the signs are low and not lit. it's not only an aesthetic thing, the regulation is also in place to protect sea turtles, who can become confused by the bright lights on shore.

have a great time on your trip!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I will definately remember the "nanna pudding". :lol:

How close are the shops? I know my girls will want to check them out. Are there any that we should steer clear of? Restaurants that we should stay away from. I don't want to spend a ton of money on restaurants. I will be going to a grocery store while there also. Which one is the better one as far as selection and pricing?

Thank you for all of your help!

Pam

Upvote 0

K-dub

Pam, If anyone in your family is a "Pecan Pie" fan, be sure to at least swing into The Shrimp Factory restaurant down on the riverfront for a carryout piece. It's the best I've ever tasted, even better than what I make!

If you're gonna be in Savannah long enough for lunch and dinner both, consider having lunch there and trying the "Pine Bark Stew" with Pecan pie for dessert, it's a Savannah tradition.

It's @ 313 E River St, Savannah, GA 31401 · 912-236-4229

Upvote 0

MaryMcMagic

I know you stated you don't want to spend a ton on food, but Stripes is one of my faves. I had the best meal I've ever eaten anywhere there a few years back. I've read a few reviews on the internet that weren't exactly glowing, but I luv luv luv it! If the menu hasn't changed, try the pasta dish with pancetta and peas....:slurp: ! If there's more that one dining, order a salad and ask to share, they'll gladly do it. 2 words--CORN NUTS!

I would leave the beach in the late afternoon and hit the outlets before heading back home to get ready for dinner. I enjoyed that alot, too.

Driving can be tricky because of the low signs--took me 1/2 hour to find Wal-Mart once-- but even worse is the TRAFFIC CIRCLES!!! Oh well, we had a lot of good laughs out of it!

Upvote 0

celticdog

It's been I while since I've been there, but I do recall a small outside mall next to the marina, within walking distance of the resort. The mall had quite the assortment of restuarants, plus very eclectic shops. There was an outside area for concerts. For some very nice restaurants, head on over to Harbor Town. There are spectacular views across the water.

Upvote 0

HHI Surfer

Driving can be tricky because of the low signs--took me 1/2 hour to find Wal-Mart once-- but even worse is the TRAFFIC CIRCLES!!! Oh well, we had a lot of good laughs out of it!

:( Tell me about it. Two weeks ago while waiting to get into a traffic circle, I got rear-ended by an elderly couple going 30+ MPH. They didn't even try to stop.. nearly totalled my car which I've had for five years and absolutely love :cry:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom