Hilton Head

beryl628

We are leaving for HH on Friday. Just had a few questions.

How is the roach situation there?

Can you rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach?

Anyone know of good places to eat?

Anyone do the dolphin cruise?

Anything special to do there???

thanks so much!

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Pam, If anyone in your family is a "Pecan Pie" fan, be sure to at least swing into The Shrimp Factory restaurant down on the riverfront for a carryout piece. It's the best I've ever tasted, even better than what I make!

If you're gonna be in Savannah long enough for lunch and dinner both, consider having lunch there and trying the "Pine Bark Stew" with Pecan pie for dessert, it's a Savannah tradition.

It's @ 313 E River St, Savannah, GA 31401 · 912-236-4229

I wrote down the info. Thanks!
What exactly is pine bark stew???

Pam

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I know you stated you don't want to spend a ton on food, but Stripes is one of my faves. I had the best meal I've ever eaten anywhere there a few years back. I've read a few reviews on the internet that weren't exactly glowing, but I luv luv luv it! If the menu hasn't changed, try the pasta dish with pancetta and peas....:slurp: ! If there's more that one dining, order a salad and ask to share, they'll gladly do it. 2 words--CORN NUTS!

I would leave the beach in the late afternoon and hit the outlets before heading back home to get ready for dinner. I enjoyed that alot, too.

Driving can be tricky because of the low signs--took me 1/2 hour to find Wal-Mart once-- but even worse is the TRAFFIC CIRCLES!!! Oh well, we had a lot of good laughs out of it!

I make a dish with pasta,pancetta and peas. Sounds good. I am going to have to try to find the menu online.

Thanks!

Pam

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
It's been I while since I've been there, but I do recall a small outside mall next to the marina, within walking distance of the resort. The mall had quite the assortment of restuarants, plus very eclectic shops. There was an outside area for concerts. For some very nice restaurants, head on over to Harbor Town. There are spectacular views across the water.

Hmmmm sounds nice. I will have to check into Harbor town.

Pam

Upvote 0

HHI Surfer

The best course that is publically accessible down here is without question Harbor Town Golf Links. The Heritage Classic PGA Tour event is held there every year. The course is beautiful, and the 18th hole is one of the most recognizable in the world, with Calibogue Sound on the left and the picturesque Harbor Town Lighthouse backdrop. (I sound like I'm writing a brochure).

However, Harbor Town is quite expensive.. think like $150+ for 18 holes. The closest ones to the Disney Resort are probably George Fazio and Robert Trent Jones, inside Palmetto Dunes. (Fazio's clubhouse is down the street from my house!) These are still pretty expensive, however. In my experience the best value could be at Hilton Head National, which is right off the island and has three nine-hole courses. They play pretty straight and don't have a ton of water, and what is there is manageable.. it's definitely one of the most fun courses I've been on, especially for the type of player I am (i. e. not very good). And rounds there are not especially expensive.

Hope that's helpful.

Upvote 0

K-dub

I wrote down the info. Thanks!
What exactly is pine bark stew???

Pam

Pam, Here's the "History" of Pine Bark Stew as told on the back of The Shrimp Factory's menu.
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=21170&size=big&cat=500

Also, here's the online menu description of their current offering. It's the 5th item down in the entree section of their lunch menu. If memory serves, it's presented in a cast iron kettle.
http://www.theshrimpfactory.com/menu/showmenu1

There are also quite afew cute little shops down there on the Riverfront the girls may like looking in.

Have a Great Time!:wave:

Upvote 0

K-dub

The best course that is publically accessible down here is without question Harbor Town Golf Links. The Heritage Classic PGA Tour event is held there every year. The course is beautiful, and the 18th hole is one of the most recognizable in the world, with Calibogue Sound on the left and the picturesque Harbor Town Lighthouse backdrop. (I sound like I'm writing a brochure).

I played this course quite afew years ago, waay before green fees were THAT high! :eek:

Anyway, the 18th hole, heading towards the lighthouse, remains the single best hole of golf I've ever played tee-to-cup. I'm not anywhere close to a scratch golfer, but on that particular hole on that particular day it all came together!

I hit a nice tee shot, but the next shot was the biggie! I used a fairway wood and hit it as well as I ever will in my lifetime. It flew and flew and nearly went in the hole! I darn near eagled the hole.

There are condos lining the right side of that fairway and several of them were having a joint late afternoon party. Alot of their guests must have been watching my shot, because they actually started applauding! I'll never come any closer to feeling how the pros feel when they stride onto the 18th green when they've got the tournament in the bag already and just need to hole out and sign their card.

I repaired the crater the ball had made in the green and tapped the ball in the cup for birdie. I looked @ DW and grinned the cheesiest grin :D ever and will go to my grave without finding the sweet spot of a golf ball like that again!

Upvote 0

Yanks07

Ok, here's the big question.

Golfing

Anyone have any advice on the best course, best prices?

Thanks,

Pam
Harbour Town is very nice but very difficult to play if you are a high handi-cap like me, (20+), and big bucks. Loved Trent Jones @ palmetto and also liked Indigo run. Played Robbers Row @ Port Royal and really enjoyed it. Played about 10 other courses, these are my fav's. Knock em strait.....

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Thanks for the input. My husband is set up with HH national. I had him read this thread. He and his mother will be playing. I will be trying to relax. I really don't get the chance to, so I am really looking forward to it.

Thank you again everyone!

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom