Hilton Head Island

kimrn87

Original Poster
We are planning a family getaway to Hilton Head Island the first part of December. this is our first time staying there. Any suggestions/advice on what to do while we are there.

Yanks07

Are you staying at the Disney Resort? If so, it is a really nice resort. I have stayed there the 1st week of Dec. twice. Once it was in mid 70,s next time mid 50's so a flip of the coin with the weather. I was there for golf and the golf is great! Great restaurants and Harbor Town is really nice too. Plenty of shopping and beautiful coast. Plenty of bike trails too. Have Fun!

celticfan

I have always heard great things about this resort and we are thinking of planning a trip soon. I have also heard that availability can be difficult during certain times of year. Can anyone tell me what the busier times of year are for the Hilton Head resort.

We were thinking of going in either mid April or possibly mid August. Any thoughts?

jim1051

I've been told summers are busy and Spring break times.

We went once in July and it was as hot and humid as WDW in July.

I would stick to spring and fall unless you really enjoy heat and humidity.

Of course there is the beach in summer

Very relaxing place, great golf and tennis, variety of restaurants.

celticfan

I had heard the summer was busy and tough to find availability. We will have to decide when we want to go and plan way ahead.

Do you have any recommendations for golf? I know Harbor Town is great, but it is also really pricey. any reasonable values for good golf courses on Hilton Head? Any discounts available through DVC?

slappy magoo

The thing about Hilton Head is that it is primarily (for my family anyway) a beach resort. Going in December, I'm not sure how much of the beach you'll particularly enjoy, though I'm sure it will be beautiful, just not necessarily warm enough for swimming. If anyone in the family golfs you'll have buttloads of fun. And the resort does tend to plan lots of fun activities either for children or whole families. Of course, there's plenty of sightseeing and shopping to do, too. We've gone twice, once in August after a WDW trip and once on a standalone trip this past May. Hope you enjoy.

BurningSpear

I had heard the summer was busy and tough to find availability. We will have to decide when we want to go and plan way ahead.

Do you have any recommendations for golf? I know Harbor Town is great, but it is also really pricey. any reasonable values for good golf courses on Hilton Head? Any discounts available through DVC?

we always play Hilton Head National (~30 mins from resort), Palmetto Dunes (right across the street), Oyster Reef (~15 mins), and usually splurge on one good round at Sea Pines -- usually the Heron Point course. we also occasionally play Berkeley Hall which is an incredible private club with two courses when our family friends who are members are there at the same time as us. you have tons of options.

Korfar

We went last year in August. We didn't stay at the Disney property though. It wasn't crowded at that time. HHI is outstanding. Other than Disney World it is my favorite vacation destination. Beaches are wonderful and great restaurants. Lots of golfing if you are in to that sort of thing. I like to golf but no one else in the family does so I didn't play there. Bike trails are nice. We rented bikes for the week and that was nice.

ImaYoyo

We are planning a family getaway to Hilton Head Island the first part of December. this is our first time staying there. Any suggestions/advice on what to do while we are there.
My wife and I hit Disney's Hilton Head at least twice a year; usually December and Jan/Feb. BUT being that we live in O-town, it's a nice break to get some chilly weather. It's really the kind of resort where we do nothing an enjoy some quiet. We love to just sit on our balcony and enjoy the low country scenery and quiet.

The place is pretty slow in December, avoiding the holidays, and we like it that way. We love the big spacious rooms and the great prices. We also find F&B on the island is very inexpensive compared to here.

Some of our favorites - Sunrise Cafe for breakfast, Guisseppi's Pizza, The Black Marlin (formerly Hemmingways). And having free DVD rental on-site is great too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom