Highest Paid Cast Member

Raineman

Maybe if they live on the street like some CMs do, or if they elect to not have families and all board together. There's just no way that anyone can establish themselves and survive on $10/hr on their own here in Orlando. There's a reason so many CMs live in their cars on hotel row in Kissimmee, they're not paid enough to live anywhere else.

Not having income tax is slightly helpful, but when studio apartments start at $1200 a month not paying a few dollars in tax out of every check becomes largely irrelevant. Part time employees even working 30 hours a week wouldn't be able to afford a studio apartment on $10/hr.
Yup, I forgot to take into account the cost of living in a place like Orlando, as opposed to a smaller, non-tourist town. It is the same here-someone making minimum wage, but living in a city like Toronto, can barely scrape by, and that's usually by sharing housing and utilities costs by having 4 or 5 roommates.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yup, I forgot to take into account the cost of living in a place like Orlando, as opposed to a smaller, non-tourist town. It is the same here-someone making minimum wage, but living in a city like Toronto, can barely scrape by, and that's usually by sharing housing and utilities costs by having 4 or 5 roommates.

Unfortunately, yeah. The cost of living would be very reasonable here if the rental market was reasonable. It doesn't affect me, but I sympathize with those less fortunate who try to earn a living here. Sharing housing and utilities costs is really helpful, but not everyone can do that.

gorilla1964

Curious who you think is the highest paid cast member at WDW? I was thinking maybe one of the leads in a major show (Lion King, Nemo, Frozen, etc.). Has to have interactions with the guests to be eligible
The highest paid our in the restaurant field servers at many of the restaurants make well over $100,000 per year.

KimAnnFran

It’s not just a rumor, she is one of two characters that get hazard pay. The other one is Ariel in Fantasmic! After the boat with all of
the characters go by, all of them have to run to one side of the boat for shelter from the fireworks. They don’t have time to move Ariel though, so the other characters just put a bag over her and leave her when the fireworks go off. My Aunt took the Keys to the Kingdom tour, and I think she said that they said those 2 get a full day’s pay for the one appearance they make (someone can correct me if I’m wrong about how it works exactly, but I do know they both get hazard pay).

Saw a video of her alone with blanket over head.

disneygeek90

What is the minimum wage in Florida? Here in Ontario, Canada the minimum wage is currently $14/hr CAD ($10.70 USD) and will be increasing to $15/hr CAD ($11.47 USD) in January. From what I've seen on this forum, most CMs get much less than that. Of course, Disney could pay them more, but even paying them a decent minimum should give them a somewhat livable wage, especially considering the no income tax law in Florida and a low sales tax on everything they purchase.
I believe minimum wage right now is $8.25/hr. It's best not to compare Canada to US because it's just sad.... lol.

disneygeek90

Unfortunately, yeah. The cost of living would be very reasonable here if the rental market was reasonable. It doesn't affect me, but I sympathize with those less fortunate who try to earn a living here. Sharing housing and utilities costs is really helpful, but not everyone can do that.
It's hard to find a one BR apt around here for less than $1200... unless you're a single person making 50k a year or you have roommates and split a 2 or 3 BR, it's a lot to ask. And surely a large portion of the Disney CM's aren't making that.

21stamps

The long and short of it is that the upper management does really well...

The middle managers are below industry standards and rather logjammed from advancement.

And the hourlies start slow and get increases based on length of service with top outs -Generally speaking.

Enjoy the magic, everyone.

Why do you think they’re below the industry standard?

21stamps

One thing to realize though, as much as everyone wants to make this a Disney problem- it’s not. It’s common for any tourist or urban area to have high rent.

What always amuses me a bit about the WDW talks, is when people act like an entry level position, especially at a theme park, should provide a salary to live in a luxury apartment.
There are plenty of rentals for less than 1200 per month, and there’s no reason not to have roommates.

Anyway, just a side note.

JustAFan

No, I think it is Alexander. That guy can really turn a wheel!
I wonder if anyone has ever had Gus as their motorcoach driver.

coh020912LARGE.jpg

Oops. Sorry for the thread hijack. :D

muffy0110

Might have been mentioned but if you take the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour they tell you hairdressers/makeup artists and electricians make the most for regular jobs in WDW

spacemtnfanatic

Disney pays below industry standard because people are willing to work for it. For everyone like me who said “screw it”, quit the company, and found a job where they are paid what they are worth and get to work a normal schedule, 10 more people will walk into Casting begging for a job. Why pay more when they have such a demand for people willing to work for what they are paid?

The only way WDW would pay a decent wage would be if they simply could not retain employees. And because of the appeal of working at WDW, that will never happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom