Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

joelkfla

Again, this is complete misdirection by Uni. Nobody is saying a transit link between MCO & I-Drive is not desirable. The issue is whether hourly service by a privately owned, financed, and operated inter-city rail service is the appropriate means of meeting that need.

And Gov. DeSantis' appointee to the CFX board is jumping on the bandwagon. Makes me wonder how much NBC-Comcast has contributed to DeSantis recently.

In the Parks
Yes
Again, this is complete misdirection by Uni. Nobody is saying a transit link between MCO & I-Drive is not desirable. The issue is whether hourly service by a privately owned, financed, and operated inter-city rail service is the appropriate means of meeting that need.

And Gov. DeSantis' appointee to the CFX board is jumping on the bandwagon. Makes me wonder how much NBC-Comcast has contributed to DeSantis recently.
I know it's not a big public topic, wrt Brightline stops, but I'm assuming in all of this, that Disney still doesn't want to participate in a mode of transportation that would take guests off property to any other area parks, or I-Drive. Do I have this right ?

CJR

I know it's not a big public topic, wrt Brightline stops, but I'm assuming in all of this, that Disney still doesn't want to participate in a mode of transportation that would take guests off property to any other area parks, or I-Drive. Do I have this right ?

Technically, they already do with Lynx. $2 from Disney Springs and you can land around SeaWorld. They probably see this as something similar.

JoeCamel

I'm sure they would rather not but at this point they can lose a few and keep the 30K+ rooms they have. 2-3-4 or more per room?, that's a bunch of bodies. They are not leaking much.

the.dreamfinder

I'm sure they would rather not but at this point they can lose a few and keep the 30K+ rooms they have. 2-3-4 or more per room?, that's a bunch of bodies. They are not leaking much.
I feel like they would want it if it meant locals didn’t have a car on Disney property and they could get them to spend more money. However, Central FL likely won’t have that kind of mass transit network for decades, if ever.

Phil12

DrewmanS

The Brightline Cocoa tunnel is complete

This is amazing. I drove my family to Merritt Island for Spring Break on April 3 having no idea this work was being done. We arrived at night and traffic was being detoured around the interchange. On April 10 we left and drove across the interchange with all lanes open. Had no idea that in between they completed a tunnel and replaced the west bound lanes!

Driving on Hwy 528 toward Orlando, it was amazing to see how many bridges, tunnels, and reconfigured interchanges are being built for this project. I figured much of this project would use existing infrastructure, but for at least the Cocoa to MCO segment it appears to be 100% new construction and modifications to existing infrastructure.

Rich Brownn

This is amazing. I drove my family to Merritt Island for Spring Break on April 3 having no idea this work was being done. We arrived at night and traffic was being detoured around the interchange. On April 10 we left and drove across the interchange with all lanes open. Had no idea that in between they completed a tunnel and replaced the west bound lanes!

Driving on Hwy 528 toward Orlando, it was amazing to see how many bridges, tunnels, and reconfigured interchanges are being built for this project. I figured much of this project would use existing infrastructure, but for at least the Cocoa to MCO segment it appears to be 100% new construction and modifications to existing infrastructure.
You're correct. That segment will be all-new track and the only portion that will exceed 100mph

joelkfla

You're correct. That segment will be all-new track and the only portion that will exceed 100mph
You are correct that Cocoa to MCO is new construction, and train speed is expected to be as high as 125 mph on that segment.

However, the segment between W. Palm Beach and Cocoa, which will be upgraded existing ROW, is also planned to run at speeds up to 110 mph.

jt04

Probaly. But a direct connection between the resorts would be a net negative for Uni. IMO.

Not only that but a billion dollar circuitous route through Orlando creates many logistical complications and only defeats the purpose of an Inter-city rail service. Which is what Brightline seems to be. It is a ridiculous idea to add numerous stops in a geographically confined area.

Rather spur lines from an Intermodal facility would be more practcal. Including to Uni.

Sunrail can act as a feeder rather than main line for the airport and potentially to a transportation hub Uni designs for the I-Drive area. This could be done in cooperation with Brightline or another bidder.

Uni would benefit more by not being directly connected to the mouse I think. But everything could still be accessed through the airport intermodal someday or the far cheaper and faster Uber/Lyft available now.

Jrb1979

From everything I've read and heard, this is far from a replacement for Magic Express. The Disney Springs stop is just that a stop on the way to Tampa. It's not going to be a constant trip to and from MCO.

joelkfla

From everything I've read and heard, this is far from a replacement for Magic Express. The Disney Springs stop is just that a stop on the way to Tampa. It's not going to be a constant trip to and from MCO.
As construction, it's a stop on the Tampa extension. Functionally, IMHO it'll be more of an extension of service from Miami. In fact, the segment to WDW is expected to begin service 2 years before service to Tampa commences, IIRC.

You're right that Brightline has said they do not want to be a local transit service. They intend to provide hourly service at most. But they are willing to share their line with some other service, such as SunRail. That may or may not come to pass.

jt04

Correct. In a sense WDW is functionally a city. And it has numbers transiting that rival large cities. So making it a stop from what is essentially an inter-city service makes perfect sense IMO.

More to your point, I'm sure Disney will add their own intermodal service/facility for arriving train passengers featuring resort drop off including baggage service. This would likely be separate from the current Disney Springs bus facility. IMO.

BTW, the continual trips from the airport you mention would likely be by trains renting track from brightline. This would then be capable of replacing ME. The same concept could work for Universal/OCCC if an investor can be found to build the spur.

All my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom