Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

mm121

I really hope this doesn’t replace DME.

As an international visitor, if I fly direct I have to claim my checked luggage to clear customs. So after over 12 hours travelling and feeling the effects of jet lag, I would need to lug all my luggage to a train. Then find somewhere to store it all, and get it off at the other end. I’m usually barely functioning at this point, I’d probably end up in Tampa or Miami!

And since I never get any email confirmation of my DME booking, I would have to check in anyway at a WDW desk somewhere in MCO or the station to get a ticket. And then I go through the whole thing again at the other end, of checking in and being directed to a resort bus.

I’d rather just get a taxi, or Uber.
Not sure why everyone is freaking out that DME will be discounted in favor of a train.

I really don't see that happening as to do that Virgin Trains would be giving up lots of seats for just the MCO Disney segment when they would earn higher fairs charging individuals instead of making a package contract with Disney.

If somehow they did do this I'd guarantee that DME would no longer be free.

Also we don't know much about the Disney station plans, but if it's anything like what was proposed in the past the station would offer some bus service but not to the scale of a full TTC 2.0

nickys

Premium Member
Not sure why everyone is freaking out that DME will be discounted in favor of a train.

I really don't see that happening as to do that Virgin Trains would be giving up lots of seats for just the MCO Disney segment when they would earn higher fairs charging individuals instead of making a package contract with Disney.

If somehow they did do this I'd guarantee that DME would no longer be free.

Also we don't know much about the Disney station plans, but if it's anything like what was proposed in the past the station would offer some bus service but not to the scale of a full TTC 2.0

They would have to have buses to each resort surely? Since they don’t allow luggage on the normal Disney transport. I think it’s unlikely they would force people to use a taxi to get to their resort once on WDW property.

mm121

They would have to have buses to each resort surely? Since they don’t allow luggage on the normal Disney transport. I think it’s unlikely they would force people to use a taxi to get to their resort once on WDW property.

Not sure how many buses are currently used by Mears for DME, but could probably use smaller busses more like the ones you normally take to get to rental cars and stuff at the airport that have a luggage rack. Then just do dynamic routing depending on where the people arriving on each train need to go.

Or even better have a hotel checkin desk and a bell services station at the train station. Then you can go ahead and checkin and have BS take your bags to the hotel while you head to the parks to start having fun.

All these things would depend on what kind of arrangement Virgin and Disney make as to how much space for busses and interior they will have since it wouldn't be owned or operated by Disney they would simply be a user of the station.

Rich Brownn

A train ride will not be any quicker if there are multiple stops on the 20 mile journey. Hope there is an express dedicated to MCO-WDW Travel. The on property station will be very interesting and how they transport people from the station to the resorts/parks.
The stops from Miami are For Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, one possible coast (future), IOA (future), Disney, Meadow Woods. Hardly 20 stations.

raymusiccity

Not sure how many buses are currently used by Mears for DME, but could probably use smaller busses more like the ones you normally take to get to rental cars and stuff at the airport that have a luggage rack. Then just do dynamic routing depending on where the people arriving on each train need to go.

Or even better have a hotel checkin desk and a bell services station at the train station. Then you can go ahead and checkin and have BS take your bags to the hotel while you head to the parks to start having fun.

All these things would depend on what kind of arrangement Virgin and Disney make as to how much space for busses and interior they will have since it wouldn't be owned or operated by Disney they would simply be a user of the station.

We're just scratching the surface of future travel options. Before you know it, the self driving shuttles will be taking up all of the slack:

the.dreamfinder

I don't see this making much of a dent in DME even if this gets built. There is still a long way to go. They haven't filed permits or anything yet for a WDW linked station.
You’d be better of taking the train to MCO, if it services where you live, and transferring to DME tbh.

UCF

Original Poster
There are ongoing negotiations for this to replace DME, and if you stay in an on site Disney hotel it may be free for a ticket from MCO, much like DME. It would also include full luggage service, just like DME. There is also the possibility for express Disney trains that bypass the Sunrail stop, the trains will reach speeds of 125mph. The "train depot" for the service will be at the Orlando airport.

the.dreamfinder

There are ongoing negotiations for this to replace DME, and if you stay in an on site Disney hotel it may be free for a ticket from MCO, much like DME. It would also include full luggage service, just like DME. There is also the possibility for express Disney trains that bypass the Sunrail stop, the trains will reach speeds of 125mph. The "train depot" for the service will be at the Orlando airport.
Would this arrangement be cheaper for Disney than DME? I’m skeptical.

(Let’s not discuss the guest experience.)

UCF

Original Poster
It will not be cheaper, but it could provide Disney more traffic, and more room reservations, and a way to keep more people on site by keeping people's cars away and keeping them away from rentals.

A lot of international tourists taking longer vacations like to do Miami+Disney, this system (even if they have to pay for the Miami trip and its not included in DME) will discourage a rental car, that could make them more likely to stay off site and go spend some time at Universal.

Another problem for Disney is if they don't make a deal with Virgin Trains, they could potentially build a resort right outside of Disney, have a stop there, bus people into Disney, and steal hotel stays, and then they could also place another stop at competing parks and entertainment. If Disney agrees to give them the DME contract, Virgin Trains likely will be restricted to 3 Central Florida stops: Disney, MCO, and Sunrail, nothing else will be allowed to be built or operated by Virgin Trains removing the risk Universal or Sea World can get a similar service or some new mega resort, controlling the competition.

jt04

It will not be cheaper, but it could provide Disney more traffic, and more room reservations, and a way to keep more people on site by keeping people's cars away and keeping them away from rentals.

A lot of international tourists taking longer vacations like to do Miami+Disney, this system (even if they have to pay for the Miami trip and its not included in DME) will discourage a rental car, that could make them more likely to stay off site and go spend some time at Universal.

Another problem for Disney is if they don't make a deal with Virgin Trains, they could potentially build a resort right outside of Disney, have a stop there, bus people into Disney, and steal hotel stays, and then they could also place another stop at competing parks and entertainment. If Disney agrees to give them the DME contract, Virgin Trains likely will be restricted to 3 Central Florida stops: Disney, MCO, and Sunrail, nothing else will be allowed to be built or operated by Virgin Trains removing the risk Universal or Sea World can get a similar service or some new mega resort, controlling the competition.

Universals new park will be much closer to MCO than is currently the case. So I would be shocked if something similar isn't added in the future with a connection also to the OCCC.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Universals new park will be much closer to MCO than is currently the case. So I would be shocked if something similar isn't added in the future with a connection also to the OCCC.

You mean that the new park is 8.0 miles away instead of the old parks distance of 9.8? That's your 'much closer'?

Besides, very few people ever go directly from the airport to the park, they tend to go to the hotel first and the majority of Uni's hotels are still the same distance away.

UCF

Original Poster
While its possible some other company does it (as has already been proposed but was unable to strike a deal with the airport), this will prevent it from being Virgin, and prevent any possibility of the same train hitting anything on the I-Drive corridor, so even if someone does pull off a train with Universal, the process to get to Universal from Disney by rail will be at best buy a ticket to MCO, then buy another ticket from MCO to Universal, which is obviously quite a bit out the way and will probably involve spending more money then just using an Uber.

jt04

While its possible some other company does it (as has already been proposed but was unable to strike a deal with the airport), this will prevent it from being Virgin, and prevent any possibility of the same train hitting anything on the I-Drive corridor, so even if someone does pull off a train with Universal, the process to get to Universal from Disney by rail will be at best buy a ticket to MCO, then buy another ticket from MCO to Universal, which is obviously quite a bit out the way and will probably involve spending more money then just using an Uber.

Agreed that it would be a seperate system and likely a different company.

Uni's new facilities being closer to MCO but also on the opposite side of I4 and UB from UO, and with the addition of the new dedicated bus lanes makes adding a new hub substantially less complicated.

IMO as usual.

lazyboy97o

This makes no sense. It would be a complete change of direction for Virgin to suddenly try and become an Orlando attractions area transit system, a system better served by completely different trains.

Trackmaster

You mean that the new park is 8.0 miles away instead of the old parks distance of 9.8? That's your 'much closer'?

Besides, very few people ever go directly from the airport to the park, they tend to go to the hotel first and the majority of Uni's hotels are still the same distance away.

If you are driving, or have a rental car, doing that is a rookie mistake. You can maximize your trip more if you cut that step out, get some production in that evening/night, and then check-in before you go to sleep. You get more stuff in, and it opens up the possibility of a shorter trip, meaning fewer lodging/meal costs, and less PTO taken.

Obviously, if you're going completely carless, you at least have to go to the hotel or airbnb to drop your stuff off. A benefit of a hotel is that they can store your bags if you're in before check-in. I usually try to fly in to where I'm going straight from work, so the first day is late enough (to buy me an extra day without having to day PTO).

UCF

Original Poster
This makes no sense. It would be a complete change of direction for Virgin to suddenly try and become an Orlando attractions area transit system, a system better served by completely different trains.
Yeah, if you read more carefully, this ensures that Virgin would NOT do that. The OLD HSR proposal DID have a stop at the convention center/I Drive, which Disney very vocally hated, and as much as publicly stated they would replace DME with HSR ONLY IF the train was routed along 417 and not I-4, and when the I-4 route was chosen with the OCCC stop, Disney became very anti-train again. That was approximately 10 years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom