Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

Minthorne

How? If you have to get from point A to point B by building a railway and there is privately owned property in the way what do you do?

giphy.gif

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
as of right now there is no official plan for a line going to WDW. at least from what i have heard/seen. and the company I work for works directly with the OIA regarding that terminal expansion.

Even if there was tho, the project wouldnt be finished at earliest of 2021-22 (being generous) for a line to Disney.

However if you ever get the chance to visit that terminal, check it out, its really really nice. the APM however is not that great and ironically i would say is more bumpy than Disney's old monorails.

briangaw

Plenty of currently non-utilized railbed exists, it just doesnt match up to current population distribution for short distance commutes.

View attachment 318470
Plus we have in the last 15-20 years been turning the old railway right of ways to rail trails and making them pedestrian and biking facilities. I know some of the routes on that map are definitely no longer have rails and have wonderful trails.

Density makes transit, and even more specifically rail, work. We have not had rail grow as public transit nationwide because outside of the really big cities like New York etc. our density is so low. And Florida is really sprawled out and in a big way that was driven by folks moving down from up north and escaping the crowded city and spreading out and wanting that.

Now let us give Florida some credit. They have retained right of way for intercity rail connections between Tampa, Orlando, and on to Miami. And even better they have avoided having tax dollars back the construction and operation of the system and currently have a company in Brightline who is taking on the risk and building it and has triggered an RFP for a Tampa to Orlando route. Which by the way, the current right of way plans and planning for the Beyond Ultimate I-4 construction leaves a place for a Disney rail station and it has long been contemplated. Also Brightline just bought up XpressWest which was a company building a Vegas to South California high speed rail that is slated to be a decently cheap to build in railway construction terms with huge return and has real estate on the Vegas strip and downtown Vegas ripe for development. Brightline perhaps as the jury is still out may have cracked the code for making intercity rail work financially with the real estate tie in.

Who would have thought this would be where Florida would be? Tourists will use transit and are far more open to it when visiting which makes this opportunity great. The real station everyone should be advocating for that is timely is a Brevard County station that would serve the county and more importantly Port Canaveral. And obviously Disney has interest with that.

Neel24

as of right now there is no official plan for a line going to WDW. at least from what i have heard/seen. and the company I work for works directly with the OIA regarding that terminal expansion.

Even if there was tho, the project wouldnt be finished at earliest of 2021-22 (being generous) for a line to Disney.

However if you ever get the chance to visit that terminal, check it out, its really really nice. the APM however is not that great and ironically i would say is more bumpy than Disney's old monorails.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tcpalm.com/amp/2054122002

jt04

Yea so that’s good to see, but with current timetable it’s not something that’s going to be a quick build

Miami to WPB happened pretty quick compared to how these things usually go. The Multimodal faculty at MCO is completed. And construction of the rail to Orlando is approved and funded.

Neel24

Miami to WPB happened pretty quick compared to how these things usually go. The Multimodal faculty at MCO is completed. And construction of the rail to Orlando is approved and funded.

Hopefully with Virgin buying in it’ll go even faster. Not sure why they r stopping at Orlando airport but oh well, won’t have to drive from Fort Lauderdale anymore.

jt04

Hopefully with Virgin buying in it’ll go even faster. Not sure why they r stopping at Orlando airport but oh well, won’t have to drive from Fort Lauderdale anymore.

Miami International can only handle so many flights. The facility at mco will also eventually connect to downtown, the east coast and possibly someday wdw even if they don't get a dedicated stop.

It is all about creating options other than driving to alleviate gridlock. IMO.

Mammymouse

What are the details of the Multimodal ? I see the construction every time I go to the MCO airport and am curious about the project. Last time I flew out was 11/11/18 and I counted about 18 crane booms in the air.

jt04

What are the details of the Multimodal ? I see the construction every time I go to the MCO airport and am curious about the project. Last time I flew out was 11/11/18 and I counted about 18 crane booms in the air.

I don't have the latest news but my understanding is it would connect to the Orlando regional system directly. And there are plans on paper for connecting it to International Drive/Universal by maglev train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom