Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

celluloid

The bobs did away with thoseā€¦and actually lost profits in the process šŸ˜±
They are still around. Far fewer but at.least the shady scam ones are no more. The legit ones...which are annoying and sometimes desperate or seem shady are typically in Golden Corrals and near Hotel Lobbies or shopping plazas. You are right though. They just sell more Uni and Sea World now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They are still around. Far fewer but at.least the shady scam ones are no more. The legit ones...which are annoying and sometimes desperate or seem shady are typically in Golden Corrals and near Hotel Lobbies or shopping plazas. You are right though. They just sell more Uni and Sea World now.
Rightā€¦

But I meant the profits come from merch sales. Always have and will. Restricting tickets is stupidā€¦as is not building to hold the people

Twirlnhurl

I think the South International Drive station is likely to be a similar level of convenience to Disney theme parks as the Disney Springs station was going to be.

If Brightline owns the land around the new station, I could see this location being a much better deal for them. Seems like Disney is really getting the short end of the stick by pulling out of the deal.

celluloid

It would be a huge savings to stay onsite at Uni and take train trip instead of renting a car or ubering every time.

You could have the Uni stop also easily take you to the convention center and walk attractions of International Drive.
No nightly parking fees for no vehicle at the onsite hotels.

lazyboy97o

It would be a huge savings to stay onsite at Uni and take train trip instead of renting a car or ubering every time.

You could have the Uni stop also easily take you to the convention center and walk attractions of International Drive.
No nightly parking fees for no vehicle at the onsite hotels.
Having SunRail on this corridor, assuming they can actually offer more regular and weekend service, is definitely a change to the cost calculus for those willing to utilize transit (particularly international visitors who Disney at times offers some really good deals to attract).

The request for the CDD is definitely a positive and exactly the sort of ā€œput your money where your mouth isā€ action that has been lacking from Universal and the other I-Drive businesses. I imagine some of those funds will go to ensuring there is reliable transit to and from the station which is not really well situated for walkability.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Saw the train station at the new airport terminal this trip. Hysterical hearing how much the local shuttle drivers hate the new terminalā€™s location/separation

Lilofan

I recall years ago some homeless were used to be "sign people " standing sitting dancing on the sidewalks to attract passing cars to notice them advertising and hopes of visiting the kiosks.

celluloid

I recall years ago some homeless were used to be "sign people " standing sitting dancing on the sidewalks to attract passing cars to notice them advertising and hopes of visiting the kiosks.
It worked well for decades. There were scam ones. It got.to the point where they were on the national news on an expose about the concept. This was late 80s.

celluloid

I saw homeless sign people as recent as 5 years ago
Yes. Sign spinning is a great way for business to advertise without permits and extra costs of placing a sign in only one spot.

It does not mean it is not legit. At least the person is working. Not sure how you know they are homeless.

Lilofan

Yes. Sign spinning is a great way for business to advertise without permits and extra costs of placing a sign in only one spot.

It does not mean it is not legit. At least the person is working. Not sure how you know they are homeless.
At the corner, later in the day panhandling cars at a red light holding a makeshift sign.

tommyhawkins

Having SunRail on this corridor, assuming they can actually offer more regular and weekend service, is definitely a change to the cost calculus for those willing to utilize transit (particularly international visitors who Disney at times offers some really good deals to attract).

The request for the CDD is definitely a positive and exactly the sort of ā€œput your money where your mouth isā€ action that has been lacking from Universal and the other I-Drive businesses. I imagine some of those funds will go to ensuring there is reliable transit to and from the station which is not really well situated for walkability.
Depending on what news article you read, you get a different location of where the station will actually be built. As you probably know ive been covering this Brightline stuff for a while now, and even im a littled miffed. Even the map stuff put out by the County is contradictory. But it appears as if the station will go south of Catchlight Crossings, east of powerlines on land that is not owned by UOR. If thats the case, the OCCC parking lot that is already used as a transport hub for buses/drivers can just be used more i guess, Either way its clear theys going to be sending a buses to a ton of destinations and it will operate just like train stations do here in europe, I cant imagine anyone would be more than a 20 mins wait from a free resort shuttle or whatever.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

At the corner, later in the day panhandling cars at a red light holding a makeshift sign.
That doesn't necessarily mean they are homeless either. There have been expose news stories about panhandlers that do it for a living and have a nice house and car.

I will never forget when I was in college at the University of Miami there was a panhandler in a wheelchair that was always at the US-1 and 57th Ave intersection. One day I was at a restaurant further south on US-1 and saw the guy pushing his wheelchair with the sign in it down the sidewalk.

I don't know if he was homeless or not but he definitely wasn't wheelchair bound. Since that day I've never given a dime to a panhandler. I give to legitimate charities and people who are in need can get help from a charity.

Lilofan

That doesn't necessarily mean they are homeless either. There have been expose news stories about panhandlers that do it for a living and have a nice house and car.

I will never forget when I was in college at the University of Miami there was a panhandler in a wheelchair that was always at the US-1 and 57th Ave intersection. One day I was at a restaurant further south on US-1 and saw the guy pushing his wheelchair with the sign in it down the sidewalk.

I don't know if he was homeless or not but he definitely wasn't wheelchair bound. Since that day I've never given a dime to a panhandler. I give to legitimate charities and people who are in need can get help from a charity.
Fact- he was homeless, lived behind the gas station , bought this beer , cigs and food at the gas station. When I gassed up my rental, the staff told me about his life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom