Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

Rich Brownn

A couple of questions about this, they run 4.3M a year and can charge what ~$80 a trip? That is at most 350M a year before operating expenses, taxes and insurance?
How does this ever make money? Double the fare and not much better so how?

Other question is musing and wondering if they load these trains with water dummies for testing the route?
Well, they must be doing something right, since the MIA-WPB route unexpectedly turned a profit

Vegas Disney Fan

A couple of questions about this, they run 4.3M a year and can charge what ~$80 a trip? That is at most 350M a year before operating expenses, taxes and insurance?
It’s definitely a long term investment, it’ll probably take 30 years to pay off the construction loan, as long as they’re turning a profit while they do it though that’s all that matters.

lazyboy97o

There is also freight on these lines.
But did Brightline retain ownership of the line or the FEC when they were spun off?

I think I'd like Price Waterhouse to glance at those results and vet them.....
Or at least hope the reporting lacked specificity
This isn’t a standalone venture. Brightline is still part of Florida East Coast Industries, which is owned by Fortress Investment Group, itself owned by SoftBank.

The 4.3 million passengers is their desired minimum and the ticket price you have is just the economy level ticket, they also sell first class tickets. There are also concessions, including alcohol, sold on board and at stations. They’ll be receiving fees from Tri-Rail for access into Miami Central Station and the commuter rail service they been commissioned to establish along their route in South Florida. The real estate they’ve been developing is also not nothing.

CntrlFlPete

Other question is musing and wondering if they load these trains with water dummies for testing the route?

you forgot to account for the bar.

TrainsOfDisney

There wouldn’t be any need for that.
There is also freight on these lines.
The freight business is separate.
There are also concessions, including alcohol, sold on board and at stations.
I doubt the f&b is even breaking even, it rarely does on transit. It is an amenity, not a source of revenue.

TrainsOfDisney

Why not? A loaded train will experience different dynamic forces than an empty one, it accelerates slower and takes longer to stop. If they are testing the PTC I would hope they test under dynamic conditions.
Not really. The weight of passengers doesn’t really affect anything. Weather conditions have way more of an effect on train handling.

PTC is about engineers following signal and speed restrictions.

lazyboy97o

Why not? A loaded train will experience different dynamic forces than an empty one, it accelerates slower and takes longer to stop. If they are testing the PTC I would hope they test under dynamic conditions.
This isn’t a freight train. A Siemens Charger locomotive weighs 260,000 lbs. A Siemens Venture railcar weights 112,000 lbs. even a full, economy only trains of people weight 300 lbs would only be a 9% increase in weight. That’s a not a huge order of magnitude of difference. It’s something that can be calculated and accounted for when they designed the system.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve ridden the train a few times and it’s pretty crowded and the prices aren’t particularly cheap so I don’t think it’s a crazy idea that they are making money.

And of course the business is built on being profitable from real estate as well.

bpiper

Brightline has additional coaches on order with Siemens to lengthen their existing trains. Sure sounds like they think the money will be there to pay for them. As an FYI, the stations are designed to handle trains that double their current length.

JoeCamel

Brightline has additional coaches on order with Siemens to lengthen their existing trains. Sure sounds like they think the money will be there to pay for them. As an FYI, the stations are designed to handle trains that double their current length.
Great, I just want to know how the math works with 4.3M riders/trips

JoeCamel

It is a minimum, the bottom of their projections and not a maximum.
I hope so, this is sounding like a real estate company that likes to play with trains. Did you see Kushner is building near the Ft Lauderdale station? Price must be right if Brightline sold 150K sq ft of commercial space there for 37M

lazyboy97o

I hope so, this is sounding like a real estate company that likes to play with trains. Did you see Kushner is building near the Ft Lauderdale station? Price must be right if Brightline sold 150K sq ft of commercial space there for 37M
They always have been.
st augustine florida GIF

Twirlnhurl

Great, I just want to know how the math works with 4.3M riders/trips
I am not exactly sure how the Brightline / FEC / Fortress / Softbank relationships work out. But we can be absolutely certain that the capital costs will be paid by every portion of those companies who extract value from the existence of that infrastructure.

If those 4.3 million trips have a per capita revenue of $60 each, that would mean passenger revenue would be $258 million per year.

Brightline has $3.7 billion in outstanding bonds, and is likely to refinance within a year of the Orlando extension opening, according to an article in The Bond Buyer.

Apparently, debt service payments over the next five years total $252 million a year on average. And apparently the debt matures in 2049.

Also, Brightline anticipates "$50 million in upfront payments and annual access payments for 30 years starting at $12 million annually" from Miami-Dade County so Tri-Rail can run on Brightline / FEC tracks into Miami.

It certainly is conceivable that Brightline could pay their bonds with the combination of fares and payments from other users of the track.

The Brightline Quarterly Financial Statement from June of this year can be found here. I am not an accountant, so I would hesitate to say anything with confidence about it. But if someone watching this forum knows more about this stuff, I would love to learn more about what is in this.

I am eagerly awaiting the beginning of Brightline passenger service to Orlando, but I also understand that interest rates aren't what they used to be. So I am not certain about the financial soundness of the service in the current financing environment. My back of the envelope check makes me think it has a decent shot of penciling out, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom