Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
If Disney was going to do all of that, I think they'd have just kept DME running. They'd be adding back most of the expense.

Even then, that's a lot of extra steps for guests that are avoided by just renting a car or car service.
Or indeed take one of the two replacement options currently (or soon to be) available. Not sure if the second one is up and running yet.

joelkfla

Disney already agreed to the stop knowing that the alignment had not been selected.
Unless there's an inside source, nobody knows exactly what was signed, if anything. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think announcing an intention prevents a party from changing their mind.

lazyboy97o

Unless there's an inside source, nobody knows exactly what was signed, if anything. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think announcing an intention prevents a party from changing their mind.
Brightline and Disney announced the deal when the alignment was still being determined. Sure, Disney could change their mind but a possible stop at I Drive is not new information to Disney. The demand that a service only stop at Disney was dropped years ago in support of the Florida High Speed Rail project and the big service that was intended to keep people on property has been discontinued.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Brightline and Disney announced the deal when the alignment was still being determined. Sure, Disney could change their mind but a possible stop at I Drive is not new information to Disney. The demand that a service only stop at Disney was dropped years ago in support of the Florida High Speed Rail project and the big service that was intended to keep people on property has been discontinued.
Amtrak could've with Disney long time ago, because I think Amtrak could've using the railroad line to WDW.
Disney should have their own railroad company called Walt Disney World Rail Express.

joelkfla

Amtrak could've with Disney long time ago, because I think Amtrak could've using the railroad line to WDW.
Disney should have their own railroad company called Walt Disney World Rail Express.
There is no railroad line to WDW. Amtrak is the purple line on the map below. In normal times, there are only 2 trains a day in each direction, and stopping at Kissimmee is the best they can do. Amtrak does not run intrastate trains unless the state government pays most of the cost, and they certainly would not spend capital funds to build a rail line to WDW,

1651941782456.png

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
There is no railroad line to WDW. Amtrak is the purple line on the map below. In normal times, there are only 2 trains a day in each direction, and stopping at Kissimmee is the best they can do. Amtrak does not run intrastate trains unless the state government pays most of the cost, and they certainly would not spend capital funds to build a rail line to WDW,

View attachment 637400
I think Disney should start own railroad business like Walt Disney World Express.

castlecake2.0

The more I think about this the less of a good idea it seems. Might be good for cast to use to get to work depending on stops, but I dont see how this will ever be beneficial for people travelling with tons of luggage unless there’s an onward transportation solution once the guests reach property.

Lilofan

The more I think about this the less of a good idea it seems. Might be good for cast to use to get to work depending on stops, but I dont see how this will ever be beneficial for people travelling with tons of luggage unless there’s an onward transportation solution once the guests reach property.
In HKDL, one takes a similar train from the airport to theme park resorts or downtown, luggage in tow.

Disone

So would sun rail only go to the convention center / Universal or would it continue on to Disney. Would Brightline stop at both?

If either one of them stops at both then there's a railed option for Disney guests to go to Universal and for Universal guests to go to Disney. I don't think either resort destination particularly wants that.

I imagine this will work out where sun rail will go to Universal and bright line will use those same tracks, but will bypass the Universal stop and go to Disney. So if you're at the airport and you want to go to Universal, you'll take a Sunrail train. If you're at the airport or coming from south Florida and you want to go to Disney, you would take a Bright line train.

Purely guessing. And I'm probably completely wrong. That's okay too.

Lilofan

Knowing how short-lived Disney's attempt at having their own airport ("Walt Disney World Airport") lasted, there's no way Disney would think of creating it's own Railroad Business.
One can still see the airport runway taken over by construction vehicles parking. It is a no entry side road down the main road by Fort Wilderness.

lazyboy97o

So would sun rail only go to the convention center / Universal or would it continue on to Disney. Would Brightline stop at both?

If either one of them stops at both then there's a railed option for Disney guests to go to Universal and for Universal guests to go to Disney. I don't think either resort destination particularly wants that.

I imagine this will work out where sun rail will go to Universal and bright line will use those same tracks, but will bypass the Universal stop and go to Disney. So if you're at the airport and you want to go to Universal, you'll take a Sunrail train. If you're at the airport or coming from south Florida and you want to go to Disney, you would take a Bright line train.

The reports so far suggest both Brightline and Sun Rail will stop at the Convention Center and Disney. Brightline was opposed to the Beachline route because they estimated it would cost twice as much, not because Disney told them no other stops. Sun Rail would probably have additional stop that Brightline passes since it is a commuter rail service.

joelkfla

I'm pretty sure WDW is the largest single-site employer in Orange County, perhaps the entire state. If they do allow the station to be built, I think SunRail would want to provide service from all SunRail stations to WDW. It would seem foolhardy to build the line and not maximize ridership.

Patcheslee

I don't know how the stops would be done, but single day tickets cost more, so it could be seen as a win. Also single day may be more likely to buy the line programs vs people there multiple days.

UNCgolf

HKDL is not a similar comparison to the operation that would be needed at WDW

Yeah, taking a train with luggage from the airport is common in a lot of places. I've done it in London and Paris, and although I didn't arrive there on an airplane, I've used trains to get to (or near, really) my hotel in Barcelona and Madrid as well.

The plans at WDW actively discourage that kind of use.

lazyboy97o

Some of the more recent reports suggest that Universal and other area businesses will be paying to provide the last mile transportation. It’s hard to think similar thoughts have not already occurred regarding the Disney stop.

UNCgolf

Some of the more recent reports suggest that Universal and other area businesses will be paying to provide the last mile transportation. It’s hard to think similar thoughts have not already occurred regarding the Disney stop.

It wouldn't surprise me, but if they do so it'll make the elimination of DME even more of a headscratcher. They'll have almost all the same expenses, except for the baggage handling -- which isn't cheap, but can't cost nearly as much as the buses and drivers.

lazyboy97o

It wouldn't surprise me, but if they do so it'll make the elimination of DME even more of a headscratcher. They'll have almost all the same expenses, except for the baggage handling -- which isn't cheap, but can't cost nearly as much as the buses and drivers.
I’d imagine Brightline would be contributing to at least some of those costs. The travel distances would also be a lot less so you wouldn’t need as much staff and equipment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom