Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
Again, I would assume that the luggage service would have no change from the current system and therefore have no change in cost. Currently most luggage is transported in vehicles that only transport luggage, not the DME busses. On the times I've seen it, it was a large cargo van. But that was a few years ago, so I am not sure if that is what DME uses for luggage these days. If a train service were instituted, I would expect this to continue. However, it is possible that the luggage would be transported by train in the trains luggage compartment as well. I think this is less likely, however.

Guests who chose to bring their baggage on to the train will have a baggage parking area to leave it in on the train. Or it might be lifted above the seats. I've seen both ways.
I still think you’re underestimating the extra work required at MCO to deal with international guests. For domestic guests, absolutely the luggage service could work as it currently does.

We don’t “choose” to bring their luggage with us on the buses, we pretty much have to. Hoisting 23kg cases overhead would not be a viable option for most guests. So that’s a lot of luggage space per family group, which will simply clog up seats and aisles. Unless brightline trains usually have a large luggage area at the end of every carriage it will be like the “monorail” at MCO from the terminal we always arrive at, totally packed with people and luggage.

Or it has to be checked in and tagged just like checking in for a flight. That’s a lot more work than they have currently where they really only have to deal with international guests who have flown from a hub airport and are handing over luggage receipts so the bags can be collected

Then you have the tickets for the train. If it’s to be free, that means international guests will need to be issued with a ticket or code to get one from a machine. I never get anything from DME by way of email etc. So we go to the podium and give them our resort reservation number and the CM finds us on their system. Even if they do start emailing e-tickets they will still need a system of issuing the tickets at the airport in the event of lost emails etc.

Then there’s also another factor. Currently if a DME bus doesn’t turn up on time and people are left waiting at the resort, the front desk staff can easily call a taxi to take people to the airport. That way, short of the taxi breaking down they can be reasonably certain that no one is going to miss their flight due to a problem with the buses, even though Disney aren’t directly operating the buses. We get given a DME time 4 hrs before our flights, to allow an hour to get us to the airport to check in the required 3 hrs before. That gives them time to deal with a potential delay and use an alternative means to get people to MCO for their flight. I suspect they have very, very few instances where they have to actually pay for replacement flights and overnight accommodation.

When they have their guests boarding a train, any problems leading to the train being delayed is completely out of Disney’s control and hands. There is literally nothing Disney can do if people are stuck on the train. However they would still have all the liability for people missing their flight. And train delays aren’t an infrequent occurrence, at least over here.

I
There is no reason why Disney couldn’t do similar, for arrivals a check in service at MCO with passengers travelling by train to the resort and their luggage going separately and being delivered straight to their room. In reverse luggage could be collected from passengers rooms and transported to the airport leaving them free to take the train. Alternatively the major airlines could have check in facilities at the station for baggage. (I remember checking in for our UK flight at the then Disney Village marketplace). If security regulations allow you could have hotel to home airport luggage check in.
Like I say, a check-in process would be needed, which would need more staff than they currently have.

Since only certain domestic airlines currently participate in the Resort Airline Check-in, I assume it’s due to international aviation rules or the individual airline rules that they don’t allow it for international flights. The check-in at DTD was a long time ago now, well before 9/11. So again, all that luggage will have to be taken back to MCO on the train.

Here in Europe it's pretty standard to arrive at a city and catch the train into the centre of town, taking public transport or a taxi onward if necessary. However, at least in my experience, if you're tired and/or have a lot of luggage the temptation to just pay for a cab or an Uber often wins outs.

Looking at the logistics of this, it seems very analogous to me. Maybe for domestic guests it will work as a replacement for DME, though having to take a train and a bus also doesn't seem like the carefree transportation solution Disney promotes with DME. For many international guests dealing with luggage and kids after a long flight, it will seem like a lot of hassle akin to flying into any major city rather than a resort experience.

Totally agree. The train would become that extra leg of the journey that is the unnecessary hassle at the end of a long day. DME is a hassle free option, right at the airport, sit back, even sleep, and the next time you have to do anything is at the resort.

However they market it, a train journey is an extra burden. Might only be 20 minutes on the train, but you’d be checking in again, travelling to the station, waiting, boarding, hassle with getting luggage, strollers, kids onto the train, finding seats, no rest in case you miss the stop, then get everything off. Get it all to a bus, wait again, load it all on, then get it all off again at the resort. I think that would take longer than just getting the DME coach.

Twirlnhurl

It is possible that some of those concerns would not be addressed when the service begins. But I imagine that Disney will handle train delays similar to DME delays since DME (Mears) and Brightline are both not owned by Disney. So if Disney pays for a taxi if the Mears bus is late, why wouldn't they do the same if a Brightline train is late.

Likewise, I don't see why addional staff would be needed at the airport train station than what is currently found at DME. As far as tickets go, why would that be anything other than a machine?

I will grant you that a two seat ride might not be worth the time savings because of the hassle of corralling children. But I am still very confident that the labor (and therefore cost savings) would still exist.

I will also grant you that luggage on a Disney bus may not be the most comfortable situation. I am just saying that I've traveled to HKDL and TDL resorts via train with luggage and it wasn't the end of the world. The airport train in Hong Kong was particularly accommodating to luggage. Each car has a large luggage rack next to each train door similar to the luggage racks in airport shuttle buses.

I also traveled to and from the Osaka airports many times with luggage via transit, and I did not find it to be burdensome at all. But you are correct, I was not traveling with kids. And I agree that Brightline is not guaranteed to run as efficiently and reliably as the trains in Japan and Hong Kong.

I am just saying that since this has a good chance of happening, it makes sense to ask why. And the answer is that there will be a number of benefits to Disney and some of their customers, depending on their tolerance for transfers and their luggage situation.

UCF

Original Poster
Or it has to be checked in and tagged just like checking in for a flight. That’s a lot more work than they have currently where they really only have to deal with international guests who have flown from a hub airport and are handing over luggage receipts so the bags can be collected

Then you have the tickets for the train. If it’s to be free, that means international guests will need to be issued with a ticket or code to get one from a machine. I never get anything from DME by way of email etc. So we go to the podium and give them our resort reservation number and the CM finds us on their system. Even if they do start emailing e-tickets they will still need a system of issuing the tickets at the airport in the event of lost emails etc.

Then there’s also another factor. Currently if a DME bus doesn’t turn up on time and people are left waiting at the resort, the front desk staff can easily call a taxi to take people to the airport. That way, short of the taxi breaking down they can be reasonably certain that no one is going to miss their flight due to a problem with the buses, even though Disney aren’t directly operating the buses. We get given a DME time 4 hrs before our flights, to allow an hour to get us to the airport to check in the required 3 hrs before. That gives them time to deal with a potential delay and use an alternative means to get people to MCO for their flight. I suspect they have very, very few instances where they have to actually pay for replacement flights and overnight accommodation.

When they have their guests boarding a train, any problems leading to the train being delayed is completely out of Disney’s control and hands. There is literally nothing Disney can do if people are stuck on the train. However they would still have all the liability for people missing their flight. And train delays aren’t an infrequent occurrence, at least over here.

I

Like I say, a check-in process would be needed, which would need more staff than they currently have.

Since only certain domestic airlines currently participate in the Resort Airline Check-in, I assume it’s due to international aviation rules or the individual airline rules that they don’t allow it for international flights. The check-in at DTD was a long time ago now, well before 9/11. So again, all that luggage will have to be taken back to MCO on the train.

Totally agree. The train would become that extra leg of the journey that is the unnecessary hassle at the end of a long day. DME is a hassle free option, right at the airport, sit back, even sleep, and the next time you have to do anything is at the resort.

However they market it, a train journey is an extra burden. Might only be 20 minutes on the train, but you’d be checking in again, travelling to the station, waiting, boarding, hassle with getting luggage, strollers, kids onto the train, finding seats, no rest in case you miss the stop, then get everything off. Get it all to a bus, wait again, load it all on, then get it all off again at the resort. I think that would take longer than just getting the DME coach.
Oversized baggage will need to be checked. I imagine they will offer to bring in from you checking it at the airport straight to your room if you desire, making it easier then your current situation, if you're willing to be separated from it.

Brightline already has all digital boarding passes. I'd imagine Disney will distribute it through the app. Keep in mind they are targeting a 2025 launch for this train, so thats another 5 years of people being "trained" (forced) to use their smartphone for everything. Disney's already ending free Magic Band distribution to migrate to using your smartphone instead... so now you'll get into the train with your phone, into your room with your phone, and into the park with your phone.

I see no reason you'd need any additional check in with anyone over the current system. Infact, because the train and buses are much more likely to have excess capacity, they likely won't care about having you check in at all. Your smartphone will be your ticket, you just walk past a gate. There is literally no reason to need more then one check in, and possibly can reduce the need for a non-smartphone check in at all.

nickys

Premium Member
It is possible that some of those concerns would not be addressed when the service begins. But I imagine that Disney will handle train delays similar to DME delays since DME (Mears) and Brightline are both not owned by Disney. So if Disney pays for a taxi if the Mears bus is late, why wouldn't they do the same if a Brightline train is late.

Likewise, I don't see why addional staff would be needed at the airport train station than what is currently found at DME. As far as tickets go, why would that be anything other than a machine?

I will grant you that a two seat ride might not be worth the time savings because of the hassle of corralling children. But I am still very confident that the labor (and therefore cost savings) would still exist.

I will also grant you that luggage on a Disney bus may not be the most comfortable situation. I am just saying that I've traveled to HKDL and TDL resorts via train with luggage and it wasn't the end of the world. The airport train in Hong Kong was particularly accommodating to luggage. Each car has a large luggage rack next to each train door similar to the luggage racks in airport shuttle buses.

I also traveled to and from the Osaka airports many times with luggage via transit, and I did not find it to be burdensome at all. But you are correct, I was not traveling with kids. And I agree that Brightline is not guaranteed to run as efficiently and reliably as the trains in Japan and Hong Kong.

I am just saying that since this has a good chance of happening, it makes sense to ask why. And the answer is that there will be a number of benefits to Disney and some of their customers, depending on their tolerance for transfers and their luggage situation.
DME is marketed as an easy, no hassle way to get to your resort. As opposed to the usual way of getting from an airport to a hotel. It’s part of the bubble from the minute you get to the DME part of the airport. Relax and they take away the stress.

To me that is 100% the case. My kids are grown up, I still feel like I am de-stressed the minute I get to the DME podium at the airport. Adding a train is adding an extra leg of the journey - there’s still a bus at the other end.

Yes it might be cheaper.
It most definitely is not the hassle free, no stress, “in the bubble” transfer that DME is currently.

nickys

Premium Member
Oversized baggage will need to be checked. I imagine they will offer to bring in from you checking it at the airport straight to your room if you desire, making it easier then your current situation, if you're willing to be separated from it.

Brightline already has all digital boarding passes. I'd imagine Disney will distribute it through the app. Keep in mind they are targeting a 2025 launch for this train, so thats another 5 years of people being "trained" (forced) to use their smartphone for everything. Disney's already ending free Magic Band distribution to migrate to using your smartphone instead... so now you'll get into the train with your phone, into your room with your phone, and into the park with your phone.

I see no reason you'd need any additional check in with anyone over the current system. Infact, because the train and buses are much more likely to have excess capacity, they likely won't care about having you check in at all. Your smartphone will be your ticket, you just walk past a gate. There is literally no reason to need more then one check in, and possibly can reduce the need for a non-smartphone check in at all.
Check-in for the luggage. As in finding your reservation, printing a label, tagging the cases etc. Just like when you start a journey, but this time all over again.

Sir_Cliff

DME is marketed as an easy, no hassle way to get to your resort. As opposed to the usual way of getting from an airport to a hotel. It’s part of the bubble from the minute you get to the DME part of the airport. Relax and they take away the stress.

To me that is 100% the case. My kids are grown up, I still feel like I am de-stressed the minute I get to the DME podium at the airport. Adding a train is adding an extra leg of the journey - there’s still a bus at the other end.

Yes it might be cheaper.
It most definitely is not the hassle free, no stress, “in the bubble” transfer that DME is currently.
Again, completely agree. I could see it working as a selling-point for the Disney Springs affiliate hotels. It's completely different, though, from what they're selling with DME, which is basically stepping off the plane and straight into your WDW vacation experience. This is more akin to taking the train to the centre of London and catching a bus to your hotel, perhaps with the need to carry your luggage subtracted. Also not the end of the world, but often feels like a hassle at the end of a long day of travelling.

As you said in your last post, it feels more like an extra leg of the journey than just leaving the airport and catching a bus that takes you straight to your hotel.

rreading

The other point is that the majority of the DME busses have ongoing ads for Disney experiences - whether at the parks or Disney Springs on the way in, and for Adventures by Disney, Cruises and DVC on the way out. Sure, it seems like entertainment which the kids likes but I'm sure that Disney is wanting that captive audience (and it is effective).

So while it would be easy for DME the bags to get to the resort and for Disney to wish us luck getting from the train to the resort bus to the resort, it would be MUCH less of a magical experience and legitimately less Disney. I would be surprised were it to change. Now that my kids and I are older and would like to shop as much as go straight to the resort, I might not mind the change...but I doubt that it's what Disney wants.

esskay

You're making very unreasonable assumptions already addressed in this thread.
Not really unreasonable. There's a good reason a lot of advice around says not to leave your bags with DME as during peak times you can often be waiting hours for them to show up - this is the reason when you board and exit DME most guests bring/take their own bags.

If someone can come up with a reasonable solution to screwing people around by making them go Airport -> DS (or some sort of hub) -> Bus -> Resort vs Airport -> Resort then I'm all ears. Just feels like a not so practical assumption is being made that DME is dead.

It's supposed to be a convenience. Being jet lagged and having to screw around switching vehicles and more than likely having to wait for scheduled trains really isnt convenience. Not to mention as mentioned the DME is a captive experience, those little TV's serve a valuable purpose.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Ideally there would be dedicated dme trains constantly departing (every 30-50 minutes) and then when you arrive you follow the signs to a bus that would take you to your resort.

Assuming mini-vans are back by then, a mini van could take you immediately to your hotel as well.

joelkfla

It's all speculative at this point; we don't know:
  1. Whether Disney is interested in replacing DME buses with trains, and
  2. Whether Brightline has any interest in running a frequent shuttle.
It's within the realm of possibility, but I don't think there's anything to indicate that it's more likely than not. I assume Brightline wants the Disney station to attract more riders to/from South FL, and eventually Tampa.

Anyhow, it's all at least 5 years away.

UCF

Original Poster
If someone can come up with a reasonable solution to screwing people around by making them go Airport -> DS (or some sort of hub) -> Bus -> Resort vs Airport -> Resort then I'm all ears. Just feels like a not so practical assumption is being made that DME is dead.
Can someone come up with a reasonable solution to screwing people who stay at one of the Gondola resorts by making them board one gondola, then disembark the first one, and then wait in line and board another one, go to reach the park? And expecting people to do that without air conditioning along the ride? People will demand buses with AC! Don't forget about the people scared of heights! Turns out people were willing to pay a premium to stay in resorts that require a transfer instead a direct bus to the resort.

Sorry of mocking a little bit, its all in good fun... but Disney seems perfectly willing to create minor inconveniences if they feel it will make the overall experience better, or help save them money. While I'm sure there could be a few annoyed people about a transfer even if it saves them some overall time, there are going to be people who take it just to get on a modern train going over 100mph, and people who would refuse to take the current coach bus but would be willing to take a train version of it (I'll admit I fall into the latter category).

joelkfla

While I'm sure there could be a few annoyed people about a transfer even if it saves them some overall time, there are going to be people who take it just to get on a modern train going over 100mph, and people who would refuse to take the current coach bus but would be willing to take a train version of it (I'll admit I fall into the latter category).
I think that factor will get Brightline a small fraction of riders, even if DME is still running and free. Plus grandparents who want to take their grandkids on their first real train ride.

Robbiem

Ideally there would be dedicated dme trains constantly departing (every 30-50 minutes) and then when you arrive you follow the signs to a bus that would take you to your resort.

this is what happens in macau when you arrive from Hong Kong by hydrofoil outside the terminal are buses to take you to your hotel

the same thing happens in Hong Kong if you take the airport train to the city.

in both places you can check in at the station/terminal for your flight and travel to the airport by train/boat with your cabin bags while checked bags make their own way to your destination

JoeCamel

Brightline doesn’t have the funds yet to build MCO to Tampa. This is more about drumming up money to build that than it is about a train to Walt Disney World. It just happens to be along the way.
Any help they can find is another mile of track. I think they will get there but not in my time.

Robbiem

There will need to be some form of transport to continue your journey after arriving - even if Disney doesn’t use it for guests arriving at MCO and its used more as a ‘park and ride’ from elsewhere in Florida people visiting will still likely want to go to the parks if they are on a day trip.

joelkfla

There will need to be some form of transport to continue your journey after arriving - even if Disney doesn’t use it for guests arriving at MCO and its used more as a ‘park and ride’ from elsewhere in Florida people visiting will still likely want to go to the parks if they are on a day trip.
I think it's likely that Disney would provide some form of luggage transfer to it's resorts, whether that be check-thru from Brightline baggage check, or simply pickup by bell staff.

Passengers may simply use the existing bus service (with expanded hours) to get to resorts; Disney would love having them walk thru DS to get to the bus stops. Theme park buses could meet trains at the station, perhaps requiring a Brightline ticket receipt for carriage.

Patcheslee

I think it's likely that Disney would provide some form of luggage transfer to it's resorts, whether that be check-thru from Brightline baggage check, or simply pickup by bell staff.

Passengers may simply use the existing bus service (with expanded hours) to get to resorts; Disney would love having them walk thru DS to get to the bus stops. Theme park buses could meet trains at the station, perhaps requiring a Brightline ticket receipt for carriage.
We usually spend our last day of vacation at DS because it's easier for us leaving there without feeling like we're rushing to MCO. DME seemed too much stress when your flight is 6pm outbound (resort checkout, find something to occupy us for 5 hours pool not being and option, return to resort for DME vs checkout, drive to DS, hang out, then drive to MCO). IF they offered MCO to DS and transpotation for the Car Care Center I'd be all for using it both directions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom