Hidden costs at resorts

Captain NoBeard

First let me say that this may sound wierd, but as we have run into it while staying in hotels in Ontario, we're not sure if this also happens in Florida. So, if its a really STUPID question, I apologize in advance.

Do the little things normally found in your room(i.e. bottled water and coffee) cost extra? Up here, when you arrive (especially if you have kids), you take the bottled water and put it out of reach. It usually has an ad on it with small print that states that if you drink this, it is considered that you are consenting on paying $7.50, or similar price, for consuming the small bottle of water. If you're not paying attention, and this happens, it can really tick you off.

Does Disney or other hotels in Florida pull these kinds of games? We're just not sure if we should bring our own coffee or if we're free to use the coffee provided in the resorts.

tigsmom

First let me say that this may sound wierd, but as we have run into it while staying in hotels in Ontario, we're not sure if this also happens in Florida. So, if its a really STUPID question, I apologize in advance.

Do the little things normally found in your room(i.e. bottled water and coffee) cost extra? Up here, when you arrive (especially if you have kids), you take the bottled water and put it out of reach. It usually has an ad on it with small print that states that if you drink this, it is considered that you are consenting on paying $7.50, or similar price, for consuming the small bottle of water. If you're not paying attention, and this happens, it can really tick you off.

Does Disney or other hotels in Florida pull these kinds of games? We're just not sure if we should bring our own coffee or if we're free to use the coffee provided in the resorts.

None of the resort rooms I've stayed in in WDW have that sort of stuff. There are toiletries in the bath, but they come with the room and you can get extra from mousekeeping if you ask...no charge. Most rooms have coffee makers with coffee and tea, again - no charge.

The kinds of stuff you are describing (drinks, juices, snacks) come with minibars and they don't have them in WDW (that I have seen)...you go to the snack bar and purchase what you want or use the vending machines on each floor.

Concierge floors have snacks and goodies out in the lounge, but those are paid for in your package.

Upvote 0

natalia1681

That's absolutely not a stupid question! I know how irritated I would be if I was just using stuff and didn't realize there was a charge.
Like Tigsmom said, there's no charge for the stuff already in your room at Disney:wave:

Upvote 0

Unplugged

That's not a stupid question at all! In fact, most of the hotels I stay at in the US (Hilton and Marriott chains) have at minimum, bottles of water with little tags indicating they are very costly.

Fortunately being family friendly, Disney does not follow that business model and as others have stated, directs you to the snack bar. A much more predictable way of doing things when you have little ones (or teens not footing the bill).

Upvote 0

Aurora23

We had a mini bar in our room at the Grand Floridian, a few years back. But, I knew that these things were an extra charge (American mini bars are usually not free). It had one of those plastic re-fill mugs, like the ones sold in the quickie-serve places near the lobby. I tried to leave money for it one day, and I found a note saying that they would just tack it onto my bill for check out.

So, beware if your resort offers mini bars - they will cost you! And I do believe they are labeled.

Upvote 0

jesserin

Just a quick heads up. Both the Swan and Dolphin have mini bars that do charge for the expensive bottled water and candy, etc. You do have the option of keeping it locked however, so that helps keep the kids out of it. :)

Upvote 0

sarajo

Just a quick heads up. Both the Swan and Dolphin have mini bars that do charge for the expensive bottled water and candy, etc. You do have the option of keeping it locked however, so that helps keep the kids out of it. :)

We stay at the GF, and they, too, have the mini-bars that are locked. These items can get expensive, but are available at a cost. I've actually used it on occasion, and found that usually the cost of a bottle of water or can of pop was the same there as it was at Gasparilla Grill. That may have changed since, though.

However, all the toiletries are included in the cost of the room. I tried to stock up on those items one visit by putting them away before mousekeeping came by, and they wouldn't restock the items but every other day.

Upvote 0

tink rules

The only place I saw a minibar was at the GF... and I just moved most of the stuff out of the way and put in my own water and stuff and it was fine.

The one thing I had when I went to a Sheraton last June when visiting family was to find a bottle of Saratoga water in the room.... I live right near Saratoga (NY) and can get that stuff at home...(a lot cheaper too!!!) :lol:

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I think most hotels here in Orlando outside WDW do have the mini bars. Disney resorts don't, which is nice.

Universal resorts have them and yes, that's a mighty fine $9 bottle of water!

Just depends on where you are in town and what brand of hotel you're staying at.

Upvote 0

slacker

I remember staying at the caribbean once and they put the refillable mugs in the room on display. Obviously, if you took one, you'd get a charge. But i'm pretty sure it gave a heads up. Also, that was a long, long time ago and i haven't encountered it since.

Upvote 0

Rob562

I remember staying at the caribbean once and they put the refillable mugs in the room on display. Obviously, if you took one, you'd get a charge. But i'm pretty sure it gave a heads up. Also, that was a long, long time ago and i haven't encountered it since.

Yeah, CBR used to have minibars in the rooms. But they were taken out around 1999-2000. This is also when they stopped putting the refillable mugs in the room.

-Rob

Upvote 0

tunaman68

Not a dumb question at all. We went to Hawaii last year and the Hyatt had bottled Fuji water in the room and it was like $4.50!!

The rooms we've stayed in at WDW have a small coffee pot and mousekeeping will bring you more coffee and creamer every day if you use it.

The only suggestion I would have is to either use bottled water ($$$ from the machines) or melt ice the night before and use that. The tap water tastes like :hurl: !!

Have Fun!!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Yeah, CBR used to have minibars in the rooms. But they were taken out around 1999-2000. This is also when they stopped putting the refillable mugs in the room.

-Rob
I also remember when they had the minibars and refillable mugs in the rooms at CBR. It was a real nuisance with litle kids, but we always kept it locked. It's so much nicer now, just having the mini-fridge instead!

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
The only place I saw a minibar was at the GF... and I just moved most of the stuff out of the way and put in my own water and stuff and it was fine.

QUOTE]

Be aware that many hotels are trying to discourage this practice by putting a "seal" on the minibar, and charging you if the seal is broken, even if you didn't consume any of their "stuff." You're basically paying a rental fee.

Upvote 0

disneydaft

QUOTE]

Be aware that many hotels are trying to discourage this practice by putting a "seal" on the minibar, and charging you if the seal is broken, even if you didn't consume any of their "stuff." You're basically paying a rental fee.

Also some mini bars have sensors that know when an item is removed and add it automatically to your bill.

Upvote 0

L Fisher

Something that you and your family might want to do is buy the resort mug that they offer. It costs around $11. You can fill it up at your resort with as much pop, coffe, etc during your stay that you want. What is great about the mug is that it turns into a great souvenir to remind you of your stay at the World. I have bought the mug the last several times that I have gone to WDW. You can always take the mug with into the parks but they are not refillable in the parks. You can however fill them with water at the fountains. Have agreat trip!!!!:wave:

Upvote 0

bsandersjr

We stayed at the Beach Club one trip, and the mini fridge was stocked with beer, soft drinks, water, and candy. There was a price list on top of the fridge. So, if you get to your wdw resort, and the fridge is stocked, I would be cautious of consuming anything in there until you find out how much it will cost you.

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

They are called mini bars and are at just about all of the nicer hotels in the USA. They are not free, never have been. They are always marked somehow that you have to pay for them. Some are also sealed for each new guest.

I guess your saying Canadian Hotels somehow hide that fact?

Disney's resort for the most part do not have them. Some of the real upscale resorts do but they are marked with prices.

Disney wants you out of the room getting breakfast, lunch, and dinner or going to the parks rather then staying in the room. I would say most people that do stay on site do not want to stay in the rooms anyway so one of these mini bars would not be found at disney.

Now if you get the conceirge floors of the deluxe resorts you get lots of things to eat and drink that is included in the room price. Very nice!!!

Upvote 0

Captain NoBeard

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, it answered a lot of our questions. The Canadian hotels we have used in the past vary. Some do have minibars and you would expect to pay if you used them. However, a large number of the economy hotels have started to get in on the practice. The only difference is that they do not invest in a minibar. Instead the water or candy is left out on the table or desk in the room. Often they are labeled with the pricing info. But in some places, the only notification is a little card that is mixed in with the local dining, emergency instructions, and all the other things nobody ever reads.
I also shudder to think of the families who walk in and their kid finds that someone has left their bag on M&Ms on the table. Yum yum...what an expensive treat.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom