Hey Runners, Wanna Play along?

Kristia

Of course there can be runners that are both type 1 and type 2. I just meant that in a general observation of the majority of runners. Generally, Type 1 dont run year round, but start running the schedule 3 months before the event, and generally, Type 2 runners run year round and it is more a lifestyle then a hobby.
As running becomes more popular, I think the line between 1 and 2 is becoming less defined and there is definitely a shade of gray in the middle which is probably where I fall. Definitely won't be dressing up in a tutu for any runs (don't know how people do that), I usually do try for a PR, but try to have a good time and not take it so seriously that I stress myself out.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
As running becomes more popular, I think the line between 1 and 2 is becoming less defined and there is definitely a shade of gray in the middle which is probably where I fall. Definitely won't be dressing up in a tutu for any runs (don't know how people do that), I usually do try for a PR, but try to have a good time and not take it so seriously that I stress myself out.
I think you are still in the Type 2. I agree, there is more a gray area. Maybe the gray area should be Type 2, and the original Type 2 is now Type 3. :)

Mad Stitch

One instance where I do think it's kind of a jerk thing to do is if you're wearing, say, your marathon tech shirt to a 5K. At my first-ever 5K a few people did that and I was already terrified enough, but seeing people around me in those shirts was so intimidating. I was just like..."OMG, I don't belong here with these marathoners!"

Now that is a whole other conversation we could have. I read a blog discussing this and the consensus was it is ok to wear a race shirt one level higher than the race you are running.

Ariel484

Now that is a whole other conversation we could have. I read a blog discussing this and the consensus was it is ok to wear a race shirt one level higher than the race you are running.
Oh definitely! There are tons of "runner etiquette" discussions we could have. For a sport that is supposed to be as simple as "putting on your shoes and just running" (though let's face it, we all know it's more than that) the DOs and DON'Ts can - apparently - get really complicated. :p

Kristia

@Ariel484 and @Mad Stitch - I never even thought about not wearing a marathon tech shirt at a 5k. Oops! I can't remember if I ever did or not. Most likely if I wore one it would have been a half marathon shirt because the only marathon ones are long sleeve (Disney) so I tend not to run in them. I find my Rock N Roll half and my Hershey half shirts comfortable so I may have worn them....:oops: I guess I don't pay enough attention to what others are wearing so I never thought anyone would pay attention to me!

Texas84

It's Disney. Have fun. Run with your race shirt if you want (beware of chafing). You won't be alone. I won't do it but it doesn't bother me if someone else does.

So don't wear a small town Georgia 10K shirt at the Disneyland Half? :D

GoofyRacer11

I got the Runners World "The Runner's Field Manual" that has a section of race etiquette and says that you should never where a race shirt until after you finish the race. It makes sense in that race shirts show others that you competed in that race. So why where it if you haven't done it yet.

Mad Stitch

@Ariel484 and @Mad Stitch - I never even thought about not wearing a marathon tech shirt at a 5k. Oops! I can't remember if I ever did or not. Most likely if I wore one it would have been a half marathon shirt because the only marathon ones are long sleeve (Disney) so I tend not to run in them. I find my Rock N Roll half and my Hershey half shirts comfortable so I may have worn them....:oops: I guess I don't pay enough attention to what others are wearing so I never thought anyone would pay attention to me!

That was the opinion of those on the blog, not mine. I could care less what people wear, or when they wear it. Heck, I would wear the race shirt on race day just because people say I shouldn't.

It's a lousy shirt. The medal is what you earn and represents your accomplishment.

Last edited:

Sumrdog

Well I just caught up on this whole discussion, here's my two cents; I personally don't wear the race shirt because I like to run in clothing I know is comfortable and won't rub or chafe and a new shirt that's been untested by me could do that. I honestly never gave much thought to what other people wear and if people want to wear the shirt I don't think they are any less serious about finishing the run than I am especially if its a marathon.
As for the two types of runners I am in the middle, I run year round, I am constantly setting goals and trying to improve; yet I have run in a tutu...I did the princess half in a tutu over my running shorts, I wasn't bothered by it at all, it just fluttered around me like a little bubble of tulle.
As for checking bags, I never do it. I am really low maintenance...there is just nothing I can't wait an hour or two for, as long as there is water and some type of juice or sport drink at the finish I am fine. Any distance over 12 miles I really can't eat solid food for at least an hour afterward anyway, plus my husband doesn't run so he can carry my salty snax and flip flops for me.
Anyway it's always interesting to learn what others think about this stuff.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I wear black generic stuff for any event. I have long sleeve compression, short sleeve and no sleeve compression that are blank. That is what I prefer and keep the tech shirts I have gotten form events for training runs.

Different strokes for everyone.

Ariel484

No worries! Like I said, I'm probably over-thinking it...just because that's what I think doesn't mean it's right or that it's what everyone else should do. :) I fully admit that it's probably a stupid thing to think about.

Ariel484

That was the opinion of those on the blog, not mine. I could care less what people wear, or when they wear it. Heck, I would wear the race shirt on race day just because people say I shouldn't.

It's a lousy shirt. The medal is what you earn and represents your accomplishment.
Oh man...the race shirt discussion is nothing compared to the finisher medal discussion. :facepalm: That's a messy one.

Texas84

I got the Runners World "The Runner's Field Manual" that has a section of race etiquette and says that you should never where a race shirt until after you finish the race. It makes sense in that race shirts show others that you competed in that race. So why where it if you haven't done it yet.

That's the way I feel. Haven't earned it yet. I had problems with the "I did it" t-shirts at the expo. The volunteer told me it doesn't say you finished it. :facepalm:

I love the shirts but they are not good running shirts. Now the 2011 January Half I have is not a bad running shirt. Something changed since then.

Oh man...the race shirt discussion is nothing compared to the finisher medal discussion. :facepalm: That's a messy one.

I was really hoping no one would mention that. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom