Hey, Galveston Peeps! (Totally off-topic)

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Hey guys, I'm in Houston to see an Astros game and i think we're heading to Galveston afterwards to dip our toes in the Gulf. I'll look for the Wonder while we're there, but I think I'll be disappointed.

Suggestions for dinner?

sweetpee_1993

That's hard. Without thinking too hard I'd do Saltgrass for steak or Landry's for seafood. The Rainforest Cafe is standard but there is a raft ride inside. We've been to a few low-key Italian joints on the island over the years but I couldn't tell you what the names are. Or even where exactly they are. LOL!

I hope you aren't expecting pretty beaches or blue Gulf water for your toe-dipping. Galveston's beaches are not attractive at all. ;)

sweetpee_1993

Not to steal the thread, but which beaches should we go to? @sweetpee_1993
In Galveston? I can't recommend a beach here. Seriously. But let me put this in perspective. My family is from Pensacola, FL. The beaches there are incredibly beautiful. White sand. Clean. Over here the currents and things make the beaches brown & ucky. Lots of debris & stuff washes up. The beaches in Galveston look disgusting to us. When we first moved here and the boys saw them they couldn't believe anyone would touch the sand or water. Just yucky. I have never gone to a beach here nor would I. I will go walk/jog the sea wall. I enjoy the atmosphere. The Schlitterbahn in Galveston I like a lot better than the Schlitterbahn you see featured on the Travel Channel in New Braunfels.

Hopefully before long we can make a short trip down to Corpus Christi. I hear the beaches there are pretty like I'm accustomed to. Plus, I really want to go tour the USS Lexington (I actually cruised on the Lex when I was a baby for a dependants cruise with my dad when he was stationed aboard her).

ChuckElias

Original Poster
After reading sweetpee's reply, my buddy decided it wasn't worth the drive, so we drove around the museum district in Houston. Thanks for the feedback!

sweetpee_1993

After reading sweetpee's reply, my buddy decided it wasn't worth the drive, so we drove around the museum district in Houston. Thanks for the feedback!
I hate I chased y'all off from going. If you know beautiful beaches I just don't feel right recommending anything in Galveston. You'd be disappointed and I would have recommended something I don't like. Better dining choices downtown for sure.

mammaminnie

In Galveston? I can't recommend a beach here. Seriously. But let me put this in perspective. My family is from Pensacola, FL. The beaches there are incredibly beautiful. White sand. Clean. Over here the currents and things make the beaches brown & ucky. Lots of debris & stuff washes up. The beaches in Galveston look disgusting to us. When we first moved here and the boys saw them they couldn't believe anyone would touch the sand or water. Just yucky. I have never gone to a beach here nor would I. I will go walk/jog the sea wall. I enjoy the atmosphere. The Schlitterbahn in Galveston I like a lot better than the Schlitterbahn you see featured on the Travel Channel in New Braunfels.

Hopefully before long we can make a short trip down to Corpus Christi. I hear the beaches there are pretty like I'm accustomed to. Plus, I really want to go tour the USS Lexington (I actually cruised on the Lex when I was a baby for a dependants cruise with my dad when he was stationed aboard her).

The tour of the Lexington is great!!! For beaches in Corpus, try heading more towards Port Aransas than Corpus. Only a few minutes more drive and the beaches are way better! You can usually score some pretty great deals on condo rentals right on the beach there as well.

sweetpee_1993

The tour of the Lexington is great!!! For beaches in Corpus, try heading more towards Port Aransas than Corpus. Only a few minutes more drive and the beaches are way better! You can usually score some pretty great deals on condo rentals right on the beach there as well.
Thanks! My parents wanted to come over and all of us go down in October but I told them it'd still be pretty hot out. I'm hoping maybe after the first of the year when the weather isn't so hot. ;)

mammaminnie

We are hoping to head down there sometime for a holiday weekend (maybe next spring time). Bonus to going when it's hot still though is you at least have the water and the gulf breeze :) Here in San Antonio its more like the wind from a hair dryer!

sweetpee_1993

We are hoping to head down there sometime for a holiday weekend (maybe next spring time). Bonus to going when it's hot still though is you at least have the water and the gulf breeze :) Here in San Antonio its more like the wind from a hair dryer!
Yeah, that's what the Santa Ana's in California were like. When we went to DL in the spring it was unseasonably miserable with the hot wind full of dirt. Literally, we got sand blasted. I've lived in the south my whole life, in Beamont/Houston the last 6 years...I thought going west we were gaining beautiful weather. So THAT didn't happen. LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom