Here's YOUR Sign!!! Best Guest Question EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainSt1993

Laughing at people on vacation. Nice.

You know what's funnier than that? The fact that the people who come spend their vacations in Disney World probably make 3-5 X the money that the people who WORK THERE do!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Yeah, laugh at us as we come to visit. Sure. But who's the dope? The one there on vacation or the one working there for $10 an hour?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

When I'm at work, I treat everyone with dignity and class that they deserve.... the janitor that cleans my office (oh yeah, my office isn't a hotdog cart, either), all the way to the CEO.

Pathetic.

Yikes!!

I remember someone like this at the stroller rental location at DLR one night. He was saying to his kids, right in front of our boss, that if they didn't work hard at school and behave they'd end up working at DLR, and if they were dumb they'd have to clean strollers at night. Right in front of us!!

Our lead turned to her crew, and said, "Hey XXX, where are you going to school?"

"Stanford."

Hey xxx, where are you going to school?"

"USC."

"Hey xxx, where are you going to school?"

"Georgetown."

Nuff said. Disney attracts some of the best and brightest around the world. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm both proud of and eternally gratefull for the experience I received during my time there. Guests do ask funny questions, and by and large (although the inner monologue says something different) a Disney CM will give you a respectful response. Even if you're in ToonTown wearing polyester primary colors, a MouseTag, and behind a cash register when they ask "Do you work here?"

SewIn2Disney

Heh...I'm still laughing at the "Here's your sign" part of the title....I love that song!

Here's your sign here's your sign
Here's your stupid sign!

Anyway, it's still the holiday season, can't we just put the rude comments aside?

Yellowjmb1213

To Mr Toad

Hey Mister Toad,
I agree with your wife. You should skip Disney all together from now on. We don't want you here, trust me! You're not better than anyone regardless of what you think.

MainSt1993

I dunno...some of the things said here were quite inflamatory, and in need of avenging. *Because* I worked for Disney at my $8/hour job on Main St., I went on to open 6 new Starbucks locations in one year (I'm going to burn in you know where for that). *Because* I worked for Disney at my $8/hour job on Main St., I went on to work for the crowned jewel of PricewaterhouseCoopers - the people who audit the votes for the Oscars - , their Washington National Tax Practice. *Because* I worked for Disney at my $8/hour job, I got the privellege to serve all of you in the US House of Representatives. I'm now at the executive level of a fortune 100 company, working on the 3rd largest business transaction in history (Going to hadies for that one too!). I draw on my Disney experience every day. I can't say that about any other place I've worked.

And I'm not alone. The other day I was at the local partner credit union here in Washington, DC, where I can make deposits into my Disney credit union account. The teller went on and on about how many of us there are here in DC, and how nice we all are to work with. The people who dispatch your ride vehicle, tell you not to sit in dangerous places, serve your food, and check you into your rooms tend to go on to other special things during their careers. I'd break bread any day with a person who's office is a hot dog cart at Disney any day before a person who would look down on the same.

To the dude/dudette that slammed Disney CMs, let us all hope that your kids get the privellege and opportunity that some of us had to get the best work experience available in the world.

:xmas:

diddy_mouse

After reading this entire thread I finally decided to post something...

I work retail, and I have worked retail for the past 6 years. I did retail management as well. I also have a B.A. Yes....there are good days and there are bad days. But unless you have been on the other side of that counter, you have no idea what it's like to be on the receiving end of some customer questions.

I personally think that everyone has snickered behind a customer or someone else's back before. I have been asked: "Is this a quilt?" while the customer was holding the quilt in their hands. My response was a "Yes it is. What size did you need it in?" Although I was thinking: "DUH! Of course it's a quilt!!!"

I'm sorry to say that society is really not what it used to be. And I hate that. Going to a place like WDW should be an escape from that icky grip that the "real-world" has on us. It shouldn't be a place to focus on little details like a couple of rude CM's. If you are able to focus on something like that, then I guess WDW has failed at giving you an illusion of fantasy. Either that or you are too caught up in finding fault and missed out on it.

disneyboyfl

If everyone on this board thinks that Disney CM's are so horrible now, maybe you should find somewhere else to visit on vacation. I'm not saying that some CM's aren't cut out for the role they are in but come on are you telling me that 50% even 25% of the cast members you encounter are rude, if so, you must have bad luck. Furthermore, I want to see you employ 58,000 people in one town to do jobs that many others wouldn't want to do for pay that is quite low and still ensure that everyone is smiling and happy 24/7. Yet I'm sure that many of you are the same people that if those that are unhappy did quit and staffing was low would still want to comment on how Disney is letting everything go in the parks and would still find something to talk about how horrible your experience in the parks was. This is yet another reason why I feel that these "Fan boards" are helping to ruin some of the magic. For the most part you will typically see false rumors, complaining guests and rude cast members posting negative posts on the sight. Where is the website with CM appreciation for the excellent job they did, where is the praise for the amazing attention to detail on new attractions?

Fear not, I still disagree with the OP who decided to broadcast to the world her "Stupid guest question", I find it completely unprofessional and uncalled for, but don't let one cast members comments be the entire basis for why WDW is falling apart, if that is what you believe quit visiting the parks and quit posting on this site. As your mother always said, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!"

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I dunno...some of the things said here were quite inflamatory, and in need of avenging. *Because* I worked for Disney at my $8/hour job on Main St., I went on to open 6 new Starbucks locations in one year (I'm going to burn in you know where for that). *Because* I worked for Disney at my $8/hour job on Main St., I went on to work for the crowned jewel of PricewaterhouseCoopers - the people who audit the votes for the Oscars - , their Washington National Tax Practice. *Because* I worked for Disney at my $8/hour job, I got the privellege to serve all of you in the US House of Representatives. I'm now at the executive level of a fortune 100 company, working on the 3rd largest business transaction in history (Going to hadies for that one too!). I draw on my Disney experience every day. I can't say that about any other place I've worked.

And I'm not alone. The other day I was at the local partner credit union here in Washington, DC, where I can make deposits into my Disney credit union account. The teller went on and on about how many of us there are here in DC, and how nice we all are to work with. The people who dispatch your ride vehicle, tell you not to sit in dangerous places, serve your food, and check you into your rooms tend to go on to other special things during their careers. I'd break bread any day with a person who's office is a hot dog cart at Disney any day before a person who would look down on the same.

To the dude/dudette that slammed Disney CMs, let us all hope that your kids get the privellege and opportunity that some of us had to get the best work experience available in the world.

:xmas:

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Having Disney on my resume has opened a lot of doors for myself as well.

WELL STATED!!

frankd1962

I've worked retail myself for almost eight years now and no I don't have a degree in anything except street smarts.

It seems that the moment people enter a place the "customer is always right" goes through their head. But they never engage the brain before the mouth.

Sign at my counter in electronics: "We're sorry but we do no have any Nintendo Wii or DS Lite in stock at this time due to manufacturer. We are not sure when we'll get some more in."

Customers (one after another) after reading the sign: "So you don't have any Wiis (or DSes)?"

The Bill Engval in me: "We have the new invisible ones that just came over from Japan. The display is over there. (pointing to an empty space)"

The real me: "We have none at this time."

Customer: "Will you be getting some in soon?"

Bill: "We just did but we're having the Mario Tournament in the recieving area."

Me: "Don't know."

You see it happens not only at Disney Parks but all over. People don't take the time to think before they speak. :brick: They just come out and say or ask the question that has been answered or worst.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7810442797081200324&q=bill+engvall&pr=goog-sl

Check out the video as proof.

haveyoumetmark

... Where is the website with CM appreciation for the excellent job they did, where is the praise for the amazing attention to detail on new attractions? ...

Cast Member Appreciation:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

As for the praise for the amazing attention to detail on any attractions, that's what the whole entire website is pretty much for. It's a fan website, giving admiration to WDW for many reasons, one of which is the amazing attention to detail.

haveyoumetmark

And Yes, let's all be mean to the mad guy who had to vent a little, because he "looks down on CMs and thinks he is above them." But let's also cheer on the CMs for looking down guests who come to them for help.

And the irony of this all, the particular CMs were working THE TIPBOARD, of all places. What's the point of having CMs stationed at a tipboard in the first place? Gee, I sure hope it's not so they can answer any questions that guests may have. :rolleyes:

peter_pan_man

Wow, who would have known that such a funny post would get some people so excited. Take a pill folks!!

Imagine someone walking into your office, with your name on the door, and you are sitting behind your desk with your shiny name plaque sitting nicely in front of you, and when they walk in they say, "Hi _______, is this your office?". You CAN NOT honestly say that you wouldn't get a chuckle out of this and want to share the funny story with friends...and this is all it was about folks. It wasn't about a "rude" CM, if she would have been rude she would have said, "No, the fireworks are coming from Universal and since you can see them so well we stopped shooting them off a few years back".

With that being said I think some of us that respect our janitor's and CEO's should practice respecting our CMs. These guys that are in the World busting their tails in the hot sun (during the summer of course) to take care of us each and every day have a very tough job and I don't think they are recognized enough. Also, if you have encountered rude CMs are you sure they aren't reciprocating what they are receiving? I know that my attitude changes depending on the attitude of the person that I am dealing with. Oh, and calling people idiots and jerks...ummmm, WRONG!!!

peter_pan_man

One more thing...to the cast members that post I want to thank each and every one of you for the job that you do! My trip to WDW was the most fun I have ever had in my life and I will never forget it...and it is all because you guys that keep the parks going.

Oh, and please keep posting funny stories like this one...it cracked me up. I have worked in retail for a few years, and before anyone starts pulling status and looking down on me I make A LOT more than $10 per hour, but anyway anecdotes such as these are great. They are fun, HARMLESS, make the day go by a little better with a laugh, and make you realize you never know what to expect.

Thanks again CMs, you guys are awesome...hope to see you in July 07!! :animwink:

Then

Go

Get

A

New

Job

The 35,000-75,000 people there that day are there because they WANT to be there and they ENJOY being there. If enough of you just "can't take it any more" then you'll get what I got from my wife when we returned from WDW 2 weeks ago:

"Honey, do you think next year we can do California instead? The Golden Gate Bridge, Napa, and you know your son likes golf, so how about Monterrey and Pebble Beach?"

THAT is the voice of a woman who went to WDW with me on her honeymoon. Oh, and she never mentioned Disneyland.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Um, let me think a little bit here.............

YES.

Is that clear enough for you?

Wow...that was not at all judgemental or rude :rolleyes: Unlike most of us here you must be destined for sainthood! Maybe next time you should think about the way that you are judging people before you critize them about judging people.

To echo a lot of what other people have said....I am also an educated person. I have my MS as a Physician Assistant. I am currently studying for my boards and work retail to get out of the house and make some money (those school loans are a killer). I enjoy working in the store most of the time, and my company places very high emphasis on good customer service (in fact I can't think of many places that encourage poor customer service). I do my best to always provide above average customer service, but that doesn't mean that I can't share an amusing story with my friends and family. Perhaps the OP views the readers of this site as a group of friends and felt like sharing a funny part of her day.

:wave:

v_misses_epcot

Original Poster
*sighs*

First of all, I do not appreciate being called an "idiot." I work at disney because when I was growing up, my parents didn't give a woots about me and never took me. I wanted to see what disney was all about. I for one, love disney. You should see the stack of letters I've recieved this year for helping guest to the max. I've driven a guest back with her family when they discovered that thier little girl needed her medicine ASAP!

I gave a little boy a new shirt after he threw up on himself because he was sick.

I held a little girls hand when she was afraid at illuminations.

And many more.....

And for you to insult my 7 dollar an hour job is just uncalled for. I do this for fun, this isn't work. I do this seasonaly. Back home I'm a manager for H.E.B Grocery Store and sure make a lot more then I do at Disney. But guess what....If I could, I'd volunteer to work at disney. I do it for the children and its atmosphere. I love the people here.

I have a right to vent at these types of silly questions. That's all they are, silly! I wasn't being rude to her at all. I wasn't even working, I was already out of my shift and I was posting what I saw when my friend got asked that question.

Which btw, he's going over to guest relations and he's going to be a great guest realtions manager. I'm never rude to my guest!! How dare you assume that towards me. If anything, the guest treat me like dirt by spitting one me and not listening to me when I ask them to go smoke in the designated areas. I get scoffed at because the rides are too long. But guess what, I and all of my co workers still give the best service we can. Or at least in our area! You should see the praise we get everyday from guest of all ages. I love it here and for your to make fun of my pay is an insult and I'll have nothing of it!! Make it the last time you insult me and my fellow co-workers. Some of them are retired and just working to get out of the boring everyday home life. Some of us do it for the fun of it so stop it with your silly accusations!

I'm sorry you've encountered the bad CMS but I can assure you, I'm not one of them. I love my job and I'm proud to work for this company. This 7 dollar an hour job gets me into the parks for free, gives me awesome discounts and it allows me to play all day with children.

So for the people that are knocking us CMS, please take a chill pill and learn to Laugh with the rest of us.

As a matter of fact, I forgot to mention that the guest herself was laughing while she was asking her silly question.

God Forbid we can't laugh while on the job :rolleyes:
We have a right to vent and I do it here because I know everyone has asked a silly question in their time and wouldn't mind a story to giggle at.

I called guest relations today asking if they were still serving hot food at the grand floridan knowing they'd be closed I still asked them anyway. I'm sure the guest relation person was thinking the same thing.

So please make it the last time you call me an Idiot Mr. Toad. I have done nothing to you or have not been rude to you at all.

So smile and laugh at yourself and at others because life is too short. If you actually worked here with us, you'd understand the grand life of the Disney Company and then you'd see that it's a bunch of silliness all over the place. And I can assure you this smile isn't fake. I get it from watching the little ones be carefree, unlike us adults. I cry because I never got the chance they did to enjoy disney as a child. But I'm still young and couldn't be any happier.

Or as Brer Rabbit says

"Everything is SATISFACTUAL." "It's a zip a dee doo dah day!"

MagliteL13

v_misses_epcot, I totally agree with everything you said. Very well put.

I think almost every question guests ask are legit. They have a reason for asking them. What time is the 3 o' clock parade? Seems stupid, but for the guest on Main Street, when 3:05 comes around-- "The three o' clock parade departs promptly from Frontierland at 3 o' clock."

I do have to confess, though, that I can't help but laugh at some questions--I won't embarrass them by laughing out loud. "Is Jungle Cruise the pirates themed roller coaster?" No, it's a slow moving boat ride that's very punny....uh...funny.

Oh, and to Mister Toad, I, too, am leaving a cushy, well paying job (at least for theatre) to work at Disney again.

v_misses_epcot

Original Poster
I'm not a CM anymore...but if you find that disturbing...check out www.stupidguesttricks.com I've never posted to that website but some days you've just HAD ENOUGH and need to vent. Who hasn't? The internet is just an outlet for people to vent anonymously (for the most part).

And I quote:

StupidGuestTricks.com is a website devoted to those special guests we get every now and then, the ones who seem to leave their IQ at home when visiting a theme park. Theme park employees seem to encounter these guests on a regular basis and there is always a story to tell. So we set up a place where current and former theme park employees from parks around the world can share their stories with others who work in the same industry.

Please keep in mind that this site is intended for those who work, or who have worked, in the theme park industry. While we welcome theme park enthusiasts as well, please be aware that some topics and views here may only truly be understood by one who has worked in a theme park. This site is not intended for trip planning, news & rumors, or mindless happiness, if you feel that you may be offended easily, this may not be the site for you.

Legacy

CHAPPS and Mister Toad...

Don't you ever get frustrated with where you work? Then maybe you need to find a new direction.

;)

wedenterprises

I work in a theme park and I cannot stand stupid people. I know you get repetetive questions that get annoying like "where are the washrooms" even when there is a huge sign, but some questions are understandable. People do not even try sometimes to figure things out for themselves, like actually looking at the map they were given. Other times people just talk for the sake of talking, or to hear their own voice as I like to say. I have absolutely no patience with thick, stupid people. Not everyone in the world is stupid and some people ask me great questions, some of which are asked every day, but you can just tell if the person is smart or not and that makes the difference.

I know every guest is a guest no matter what, and I never treat anyone with DISrespect just for asking a question. There are no stupid questions, but there are many stupid people who waste my time with pointless questions. Asking where the fireworks are coming from is a pointless question and sounds like it might have come from a stupid person, so I would have challenged them on it by simpy replying "what do you mean?" because their question is not clear whatsoever. The honest answer would be "the fireworks are coming from canisters on a barge on the water" but somehow even though the answer is the right one, it will come off as being a smart ______ reply which even stupid people will catch on to.

directional questions and informational questions are understandable, but there is a difference between "what time is the 4 o'clock parade" and "what time is the parade".

threads like these make me laugh, i love it.

Erika

I think we've traded enough insults back and forth for one day.

For the record, my dad is currently working as a janitor. He is retired from a white-collar job, living very comfortably in a resort community, and uses the extra cash as spending money for his jaunts to Vegas. Probably the most important thing he taught me is that there is no shame in honest work, something he practices as well as preaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom