here's a thought on how to open after the shutdown.....

esskay

It is the end of the World(Showcase) to me.
More than the architecture, food, films and souvenirs it is the people-- as in Disney cast ---who breathe life into the world showcase. Employing 'scabs' instead of a bona-fide foreign indigenous cast makes for a dead Showcase.

I best save $125 and head over to my local Cost Plus World Market.
Cool you go do that. Meanwhile the rest of us will enjoy a quiet Epcot for the ~3 months where there will be limited country-specific cast.

Lilofan

I know I said I wouldn't be posting anything during the pandemic, but I received some information about the severity of cuts coming for projects at WDW. I thought I'd make a brief post about that, although there are much more important issues in the world today. I likely won't be checking in often for conversation, but I may reply from time to time.

What's Likely to Be Completed:
  • Tron Coaster
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster
  • Cinderella Castle Retheme
  • Ratatouille
  • Space 220
What's Likely to Be Delayed:
  • Innoventions Demo
  • MFSR Update
  • Harmonious
What's Currenty Being Looked at for Abandonment:
  • Mary Poppins Expansion
  • Moana Expansion
  • Unannounced Journey Into Imagination Upgrade
  • Star Wars Hotel
  • Galaxy's Edge Expansions / Upgrades
  • Spaceship Earth Refurb
  • Wonders of Life Pavilion Retheme
  • Coco Attraction
  • Reflections Lakeside Lodge
  • Every other potential addition not listed here
Furthermore, Disney is currently working on a plan for what re-opening WDW looks like. Every week it is shut down, it becomes more difficult to reopen. In the best case scenario where WDW can be reopened in May, while still taking massive precautions during a global pandemic, this is the general outline:

Magic Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No parades, no fireworks, no indoor theaters, significant number of rides down.
Epcot not currently planned to reopen with the other parks.
DHS reopens with 40% capacity. No parades, no indoor theaters.
Animal Kingdom reopens with 50% capacity. No indoor theaters.
No plans to reopen Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon in the near term.
All ride vehicles would require mandatory wipe down once in station.
No character meets.
Distancing encouraged.
Some major cuts if moving forward..

esskay

There will be a lot more “rest of us” than you think...I don’t ANY of the Parks will be “quiet” at reopen
Depends when they open. If its during traditional UK/EU kids holidays then they'll be very quiet given all the airlines have closed up and layed off most of their staff. It'll take more than a few weeks notice for them to get back up to speed. I'd expect the parks to be vastly quieter for a good 3-6 months.

Dad 2 M & M

Depends when they open. If its during traditional UK/EU kids holidays then they'll be very quiet given all the airlines have closed up and layed off most of their staff. It'll take more than a few weeks notice for them to get back up to speed. I'd expect the parks to be vastly quieter for a good 3-6 months.
I hope you're correct.......

thomas998

Frankly the best parks to open first would be the water parks. Not only are they probably the cheapest to open but with the chlorinated water everywhere they would probably be the safest parks to open.

muddyrivers

Epcot makes a good amount of money on their dining experiences. I can see them reopening Epcot quickly for that reason alone. The 12-8 idea makes sense, especially if you take into consideration all of the Epcot after 4 pass holders.

I agree that dining is where EPCOT has and hopefully always will shine. If I was down in Florida, one of the first places I would want to go to after all of this is over is the Coral Reef. Hopefully the parks will be open for business soon!

jloucks

I see them expanding hours and putting low low caps on how many can enter at the same time. The expanded hours being the only way to increase attendance with super low caps in place.

Lilofan

Epcot makes a good amount of money on their dining experiences. I can see them reopening Epcot quickly for that reason alone. The 12-8 idea makes sense, especially if you take into consideration all of the Epcot after 4 pass holders.
WDW and DLR just cancelled the huge college and international program for summer and fall 2020 and cultural reps from Epcot need to fly back home. I doubt Epcot will be open at all when the parks and resorts slowly open at an undetermined time.

MickeyLuv'r

I have a feeling the parks won't open for some time.

When they do, I see them initially putting strict limits on who can enter the parks. Maybe only FL residents, or something along those lines...like some kind of lottery.

I also see Disney doing some special thing for health care workers and maybe a few other folks working right now, like grocery store employees.

Beyond that?

I wonder how WDW will handle problems like:

Busing?

Use of masks? I see some folks wanting to wear masks for some time.

wedenterprises

Obviously a total guess and wishful thinking, but I think we'll see Springs open first in late June. Then at least one park open in some capacity in early July with reduced hours, APers or residents only.

The opening of the parks will be very symbolic. I'm interested to see if Disney makes a big deal out of it or if they try to open very quietly and minimally. Would they rather open slowly in July or with a bang in September?

MickeyLuv'r

Disney Springs opening first makes sense.

I also like your idea of some kind of soft opening that is quiet.

Maybe also doing some kind of very limited phased opening, like only opening the restaurants.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I figure some kind of hunger games scenario. 100,000-200,000 of us pay top dollar and spend a week trying to kill each other while surviving. Then, the 5,000-10,000 (don't pin me down on numbers some smarty pants will have to figure out the details) of us who make it will get to enjoy the parks. Safe bet on Disney's part. I bet the ones who survive the games will have pretty good immune systems and the like. Also, I hope we get to show off what we're good at. I figure I have some good moves after watching the boy for years at karate. Keep this up for a few weeks and then slowly expand the number of survivors let in until we're back to normal operating conditions in 2026.

Animaniac93-98

The opening of the parks will be very symbolic. I'm interested to see if Disney makes a big deal out of it or if they try to open very quietly and minimally. Would they rather open slowly in July or with a bang in September?

As soon as the parks reopen the media will report on it and it will be a big deal for symbolic reasons, as you say.

I assume roll out would be slow, as not everyone will be able to get there ASAP.

Maybe Disney will have APs only for a week or two as a "soft opening" knowing that they'll be the ones to show up first on short notice.

thomas998

Obviously a total guess and wishful thinking, but I think we'll see Springs open first in late June. Then at least one park open in some capacity in early July with reduced hours, APers or residents only.

Would it make sense to open Spring without any parks open to support it. I can't see enough locals going to the overpriced Springs when money is tight. And I don't see any reason that I would visit WDW if the parks were all closed and all I could do was go to Springs. To me Springs would likely be one of the last to open because it isn't a major attraction it is just a way to siphon off guests that have tired of the parks and willing to shop.

HongKongFooy

Springs needs tourists proportionately even more than the parks; locals will not support that huge setup....

If you think that they are doing things like Paddlefish, T Rex, STK55 or pulling a 5th Dimension and going up, up in the air in a beautiful balloon in any meaningful number, think again.

What locals will do is walk it, hang out some, take a coffee at Starbucks, bite into a $10 Blaze Pizza, tap a happy hour at Raglan or queue up for a concert at House of Blues

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom