Here’s to Hoot and Chief...

Brer Oswald

Probably true but how would that explain them gaining access to the MK at night and climbing Splash Mountain during it's construction? I really don't think it makes any difference to the reasons why people shouldn't do these things, one shouldn't really be excused whilst the other condemned? They can be of course, but it's not really fair doing so.
In that video, their knowledge, fascination, and love of the parks is pretty evident. They know the specific locations of the ride, and they seem genuinely enthused by what they see. Does that excuse the action? No. But it definitely should be looked at in a different light because it took place in a different time. Sonswa fully knows the consequences of his actions; he has plenty of examples to go off of. And yet, time and time again, he goes back just to be told “No, you can’t do that”. He doesn’t take no for an answer. Would Hoot and Chief have tried to capitalize on the views and ad revenue had YouTube been a thing in the 90s? Maybe, but we can’t really say. But at least we can say that Hoot and Chief didn’t make their videos to “stick it to the man”. They made them to document their adventures and memories of their young adult lives.

mergatroid

In that video, their knowledge, fascination, and love of the parks is pretty evident. They know the specific locations of the ride, and they seem genuinely enthused by what they see. Does that excuse the action? No. But it definitely should be looked at in a different light because it took place in a different time. Sonswa fully knows the consequences of his actions; he has plenty of examples to go off of. And yet, time and time again, he goes back just to be told “No, you can’t do that”. He doesn’t take no for an answer. Would Hoot and Chief have tried to capitalize on the views and ad revenue had YouTube been a thing in the 90s? Maybe, but we can’t really say. But at least we can say that Hoot and Chief didn’t make their videos to “stick it to the man”. They made them to document their adventures and memories of their young adult lives.

Hey you know you can view it and judge it anyway you want to, that's cool. I keep reading "it was a different time" by several different people as though we don't know that and as though in the 80's and 90's Disney liked people sneaking around the parks. The fact they did what they did covertly kind of let's you know that they were just as aware as Sonswa that what they were doing was wrong, let's not pretend otherwise. I'm pretty certain I recall reading them say how they used to lie to the cast members that they were meeting friends at the Contemporary to avoid paying parking costs when going to the parks, which is really kind of 'sticking it to the man'. Hoot was recently involved in an independent movie called 'The Dark Side of Disney' which is all about people doing stuff they shouldn't be doing at Disney and is very likely responsible for a number of 'explorer's' of today 'visiting' Disney and recording it. I'm also guessing he was paid for his input too.

But hey, that's just my view so I won't disagree anymore over it on here and accept we see things differently. I like the Hoot & Chief I see in the videos, yet I have no particular liking for Sonswa the person. They may well do what they do for different reasons, I just can't bring myself to say it's ok for one and not for the other which is the vibe I'm getting from some in this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom