Help!

Kilineedshelp

Original Poster
Hi guys! I just need some advice. I've never been to Disneyland and I'm finally going next week! Im just unsure of the must dos and things to see. I used to work at WDW so I'm not interested in the little kid rides like Small World or Peter Pan. I do wanna experience all the thrilling rides though.

Firstly, my cousin gave me cast memeber comp tickets. Do any of you know if they're hopper? And secondly, do you think I'll be able to do two parks and experience everything without being too stressed?

Thanks!

Schneewittchen

In my humble opinion, it probably takes 3 days to do everything in the two parks. There is just so much in Disneyland park and DCA is just huge.

You can disregard the classics as baby rides, but a good number of them aren't even an option at WDW anymore, or never were. And I'm a lover of nostalgia, dark rides and thrills. Basically, I usually go to WDW, but DL calls me. It's a way to revisit my lost youth, remember WDW past, so I'm trying to visit DL more often. And DCA is everything that a newer Disney park should be, but frequently isn't. Spacious like EPCOT, excellent attractions, well-themed lands, good mix of family appeal and thrills, great food options....

I would suggest giving the following in DL a chance: Alice in Wonderland (trippy as huffalumps and woozles), Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (my childhood memories dashed), Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (I weep for this), Pinocchio's Daring Adventure (why was MK shortchanged?), Snow White's Scary Adventures (more bitter tears), Storybook Land Canal Boats (so beautiful at night).

On to thrills - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Indiana Jones Adventure, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, California Screamin, Goofy's Sky School, Guardians of the Galaxy, Radiator Springs Racers, Soarin.

Anyway, if you rope drop, you should be able to do at least 20 - 25 rides in a day. My family of 4 (with 2 young children) did 22 rides over 12 hours on a Friday last November. We did 14 rides the next day, we made the mistake of hopping from DCA to DL in the early evening and got trapped in the Christmas parade morass around It's a Small World. Anyway, DL has 45ish attractions, DCA around 30.

Stuff you shouldn't miss for a true DLR experience - Alice, Nemo, Matterhorn, Toad, Pinocchio, Pirates (2 Drops!!!!), Sleeping Beauty walk-thru, Flik's Flyers, Golden Zephyr, Luigi's Roadsters, Mater's Jamboree....

Character meals aren't a big thing at DLR, but if you can get reservations, I highly recommend either the Plaza Inn breakfast buffet or the Ariel's Grotto breakfast. The Plaza Inn has characters you never see and the food is good and plentiful. Ariel's Grotto is super relaxed, not crowded, plenty of time with princesses.

And I have to recommend Blue Bayou for dinner. Wonderful food. Magical ambiance overlooking PoTC. I'm sure DCA has better restaurants, but the theming can't be beat.

Californian Elitist

I would at least experience Casey Jr. and Storybook Canals in Fantasyland. Yes, they're kiddie rides, but they're unique to the American parks.

Comp tickets are usually hoppers. I've never seen any that weren't. I would call, just in case.

Kilineedshelp

Original Poster
I would at least experience Casey Jr. and Storybook Canals in Fantasyland. Yes, they're kiddie rides, but they're unique to the American parks.

Comp tickets are usually hoppers. I've never seen any that weren't. I would call, just in case.

My bf has never gone to Disney so in the end we might be doing some of the classics while we wait for our fast passes or have extra time. We're gonna try to both parks in one day. I'm thinking Disneyland as soon as they open, head over to CA afterwards. What show should we watch at night? World of colors or the castle show?

Kilineedshelp

Original Poster
In my humble opinion, it probably takes 3 days to do everything in the two parks. There is just so much in Disneyland park and DCA is just huge.

You can disregard the classics as baby rides, but a good number of them aren't even an option at WDW anymore, or never were. And I'm a lover of nostalgia, dark rides and thrills. Basically, I usually go to WDW, but DL calls me. It's a way to revisit my lost youth, remember WDW past, so I'm trying to visit DL more often. And DCA is everything that a newer Disney park should be, but frequently isn't. Spacious like EPCOT, excellent attractions, well-themed lands, good mix of family appeal and thrills, great food options....

I would suggest giving the following in DL a chance: Alice in Wonderland (trippy as huffalumps and woozles), Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (my childhood memories dashed), Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (I weep for this), Pinocchio's Daring Adventure (why was MK shortchanged?), Snow White's Scary Adventures (more bitter tears), Storybook Land Canal Boats (so beautiful at night).

On to thrills - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Indiana Jones Adventure, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, California Screamin, Goofy's Sky School, Guardians of the Galaxy, Radiator Springs Racers, Soarin.

Anyway, if you rope drop, you should be able to do at least 20 - 25 rides in a day. My family of 4 (with 2 young children) did 22 rides over 12 hours on a Friday last November. We did 14 rides the next day, we made the mistake of hopping from DCA to DL in the early evening and got trapped in the Christmas parade morass around It's a Small World. Anyway, DL has 45ish attractions, DCA around 30.

Stuff you shouldn't miss for a true DLR experience - Alice, Nemo, Matterhorn, Toad, Pinocchio, Pirates (2 Drops!!!!), Sleeping Beauty walk-thru, Flik's Flyers, Golden Zephyr, Luigi's Roadsters, Mater's Jamboree....

Character meals aren't a big thing at DLR, but if you can get reservations, I highly recommend either the Plaza Inn breakfast buffet or the Ariel's Grotto breakfast. The Plaza Inn has characters you never see and the food is good and plentiful. Ariel's Grotto is super relaxed, not crowded, plenty of time with princesses.

And I have to recommend Blue Bayou for dinner. Wonderful food. Magical ambiance overlooking PoTC. I'm sure DCA has better restaurants, but the theming can't be beat.
Thank you! Sooo helpful. My bf has never done Disney so in the end we might be doing some of the classic rides while we wait for fast passes or need to get off our feet. Would it be better to go to Disneyland as soon as they open, head over to California Adventures and then back to Disney? Which show is better? World of color or the castle show?

Phroobar

Thank you! Sooo helpful. My bf has never done Disney so in the end we might be doing some of the classic rides while we wait for fast passes or need to get off our feet. Would it be better to go to Disneyland as soon as they open, head over to California Adventures and then back to Disney? Which show is better? World of color or the castle show?
Castle show? What do you mean by castle show? There are fireworks with projections on the castle and IASW but there isn't a character show at the castle like MK has. However there is Fantasmic over on TSI.

Schneewittchen

I've never seen World of Color, but it looks really neat.

If I only had one day, I'd probably do DL in the morning and then switch to DCA when things get busy in the afternoon. But strolling around DL after dark is beautiful too.

GiveMeTheMusic

Fantasmic.

MoonRakerSCM

Do the big (popular) stuff in the mornings... and prepare for massive amounts of people around 5p-closing. Depends on what day you're there, but it can be overwhelming to those not expecting it.

Fantasmic is a heck of a show, but World of Color has its charm, they're more similar now than they were before... main difference is you'll see a lot more different effects and variety in Fantasmic than you will World of Color.

Have fun!

Californian Elitist

My bf has never gone to Disney so in the end we might be doing some of the classics while we wait for our fast passes or have extra time. We're gonna try to both parks in one day. I'm thinking Disneyland as soon as they open, head over to CA afterwards. What show should we watch at night? World of colors or the castle show?

Disneyland is better at night. Unless you plan on continuously going back and forth between the parks throughout the day, I'd visit DCA first, then DL.

I'd go for Fantasmic! over World of Color, but I also hesitate a little to suggest you do that, since WDW has Fantasmic!, but not World of Color. If you can push through crowds easily and can walk fast, you could catch both. This is assuming you don't want to see the fireworks.

What day are you going next week?

SuddenStorm

Just go and try to have as much fun as possible. I could tell you my favorite things to do, and when I think is best to do them, but I think it's most important for you to go and just have fun. Take in the parks. Don't try to run back and forth hitting every ride- enjoy the atmosphere, the attractions, and the little diversions.

That said, Gadget's Go Coaster and Winnie the Pooh are absolute musts. These are the attractions that define Disneyland, and its a loss if they aren't ridden at least 3 times per visit ;)

AndyS2992

No they're not lol Casey Junior and Storybook Canal boats are at Disneyland Paris too.

http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/attractions/disneyland-park/casey-jr-le-petit-train-du-cirque/

http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/attractions/disneyland-park/le-pays-des-contes-de-fees/

mickEblu

Just go and try to have as much fun as possible.

That said, Gadget's Go Coaster and Winnie the Pooh are absolute musts. These are the attractions that define Disneyland, and its a loss if they aren't ridden at least 3 times per visit ;)

Don't forget Tuck n Roll. A smart man once said "if you ve never spent the better part of an afternoon at Bugs Land you haven't done Disneyland."

SuddenStorm

Don't forget Tuck n Roll. A smart man once said "if you ve never spent the better part of an afternoon at Bugs Land you haven't done Disneyland."

But in order to truly experience a Disney attraction, you have to ride it at night as well, necessitating that you return to Bug's Land while World of Color is playing- so the crowds are light, the sky is dark, and you can truly enjoy the beauty of a great land, and the thrill of riding Tuck n Roll in the dark.

mickEblu

But in order to truly experience a Disney attraction, you have to ride it at night as well, necessitating that you return to Bug's Land while World of Color is playing- so the crowds are light, the sky is dark, and you can truly enjoy the beauty of a great land, and the thrill of riding Tuck n Roll in the dark.

Beautifully said and entirely accurate.

LOL.

SuddenStorm

OP- I'm of the opinion that any time spent in California Adventure is a waste, as it is time away from Walt's park- especially if you're a first timer. I'd bet most don't share this opinion, so do with it as you may, but if you have the opportunity to save money by not buying park hoppers, and just going to DL Park, I say do it.

Californian Elitist

Kilineedshelp

Original Poster
Disneyland is better at night. Unless you plan on continuously going back and forth between the parks throughout the day, I'd visit DCA first, then DL.

I'd go for Fantasmic! over World of Color, but I also hesitate a little to suggest you do that, since WDW has Fantasmic!, but not World of Color. If you can push through crowds easily and can walk fast, you could catch both. This is assuming you don't want to see the fireworks.

What day are you going next week?

Going on Wednesday

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom