Help This First-Timer Plan

Hi there! As my title suggests, I am visiting WDW for the FIRST TIME this March. I will be going with my boyfriend, who visited The World a bunch of times as a kid, but hasn't been in a good five years.

We're staying at the POFQ for 5 nights, and purchased a Standard Dining Plan. We went back and forth about it, but in the end we figured it's one less thing to worry about. Plus, we're big eaters and figured we're likely to get our money's worth. We have ADRs for 'Ohana, Kouzzina, San Angel, Sanaa, Chef Mickey's, and breakfast at Kona.

We also have an itinerary pretty much planned out - but I still find myself completely overwhelmed with things I feel like I *HAVE* to see, versus things that'd I *LIKE* to see, versus things I won't be sad about if I miss them this time around.

Any tips for calming this control freak, first-time down? Thanks!

Britt

The only thing I'd do is look at the crowd calendars for the days you'll be there, match up your ADRs with the places closest to the park you'll be at that day. So say Monday is the lowest crowd day for MAgic Kingdom, then maybe plan your Chef Mickey ADR for Monday :)

I'd just look at a map of the parks online, make a list of things you really want to see and when you get to that area of the park, do those things, anything extra is going to be a bonus. Use fast passes for those high wait time rides :)

You've gotta realize that you will NOT see everything you want the first time. Save those for the next time :D

Most of all, just enjoy yourself. Don't go crazy trying to plan...things rarely go according to plan and you'll stress yourself out. No matter what, you're going to have a blast! :D

Upvote 0

Mukta

Personally, I feel that the more research you do, the better your trip will be.

I bought the Unofficial Guide and read it cover to cover a few times. It helped my first trip immensely.

It will help you decide which attractions to see. It also has touring plans in it to give you the most efficient way to see the attractions.

It has detailed info about your hotel.

It has detailed info about each restaurant.

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Gu...ds=unofficial+guide+to+walt+disney+world+2013

The next resource for me was allearsnet.com I have read every tab of that entire page hundreds of times.

Upvote 0

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
You can not over plan. Do feel that every minute must be planned in advance, but you must plan to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours, Advanced Dining Reservations, parks to visit at what times, etc. Also the planning makes the waiting till you get there that much easier.

Upvote 0

UPbeekeeper

I bought the Unofficial Guide and read it cover to cover a few times. It helped my first trip immensely.

I agree with this. I've been to WDW many, many, times and felt I knew a good deal. I purchased this book because our upcoming trip will be our first time staying on property & our first experience with table service dining. I was amazed at all the information this book packs in it's pages! So I felt I knew so much, but after reading the guide, I realized there was so much more that I didn't know. I highly recommend it for a first time visitor!!!

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

We (meaning I) usually plan like maniacs leading up to the trip but by the end of the second day we are freestyling as following the "plan" gets too exhausting and never goes as it should. Over planning leading up to it is a good thing as you have a boatload of knowledge going into things but I would say to not be afraid to take your hands off the wheel a little bit too. No matter what you will have a great time...enjoy!

Upvote 0

rufio

I completely agree with research! The first time I went, I didn't research anything and had no idea what to expect. When I got home, I didn't even know about the world showcase! I prefer Passporter's books!

Upvote 0

It will help you decide which attractions to see. It also has touring plans in it to give you the most efficient way to see the attractions.

It has detailed info about your hotel.

It has detailed info about each restaurant.

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disney-World-Guides/dp/1118277562/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354643965&sr=8-1&keywords=unofficial guide to walt disney world 2013

The next resource for me was allearsnet.com I have read every tab of that entire page hundreds of times.
I personally prefer Birnbaum's Guides to Walt Disney World, as I find them extremely helpful, as stated above, the more you know about WDW, the better your experience will be.. Have a great trip!!!!!

Upvote 0

Mongomil

Yes research is the number one thing to do. If you plan things out just remember that no matter how much planning you do things do not always go the way you plan. So once your there have a good idea of what you want to do but do not get frustrated if things don't go as planed. Just go with the flow and realize that you can't do it all in one trip. You are on vacation. And I agree with vitani88 Passporter is my favorite also.

Upvote 0

PUSH

Let's start off with the Must Sees first:

MK: Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion
Epcot: Soarin', Spaceship Earth, Test Track, World Showcase
DHS: Tower of Terror, Rock N Rollercoaster, Toy Story Mania, Star Tours
AK: Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur

These all are must sees and I'm sure others would argue that there are more must sees, but those are the main ones, in my opinion.

Check crowd calendars so you know what to expect. If your boyfriend has been there before he should have somewhat of an idea of where things are so it will be easier to get around, but grab a couple maps on your way in just in case. A book that I thought was helpful is Birnbaum's Walt Disney World (that's not the official title, but it's something like that). Also, don't freak out if things don't go according to plan. I'm against planning every minute on any trip someone takes. Just wing it a little bit, it might lower some stress. No matter what you'll have a great trip, but research is key in order to not miss out on major things.

Upvote 0

WantToBeWhereArielIs

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone!

PUSH, I have many of those on my "must-see" list as well. Unfortunately, Splash Mountain will be down during the time we visit.

Oh well...we'll just have to go back!

Upvote 0

erasure fan1

While I agree that research is a good thing, I say you have to watch out as to how much and what you research. Sometimes I feel if you look into every last detail, it can slant your views on things. I can't tell you how many things I like that the books or the boards say are skip or things everyone loves that I don't care for. You want to be educated on where things are, knowing what you would like to see, how to utilize fastpass/photopass, places to eat... things like that. You don't want to just show up and do everything all willy nilly, but don't make yourself crazy worrying about everything. Crazy research and planning can lead to caring too much about the plan and not enough about enjoying the parks.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

Since you already have an idea of what you must see and what you would like to see, that is a great start. Remember, Fastpass is your friend. Use it wisely and you will accomplish many things on your list. Do plan but don't fret if you feel like your plans have derailed here and there. It will happen. Always keep in mind that you won't see everything on this (or your next) vacation, which gives you the most magical reason for going back time after time. Have a wonderful vacation!

Upvote 0

Juliaz3

Plan that everything will likely take longer than you think it will. Be sure to check out the bulletin boards at each park when you arrive so you'll be aware of the times for parades and other events. Then you can plan to either watch them or go on rides while others are watching the parades.

Expect the unexpected and have fun! Who knew that my husband (in his late 30s) would want to have his photo taken with every single character we came across, no matter how long the line, and that then he would want to spend time seeking out the ones we may have missed?! I did NOT plan for that to happen, but stepped back and let him enjoy as it was his first time at the World and perhaps my 15th.

Also, be patient with each other. Tired feet and long lines can make you cranky. Stop, sit on a bench, and take time to watch the World unfold around you.

Upvote 0

luv

Pick five things for each morning and five for each afternoon. Tis will help you narrow-down your Must Dos. You will likely get more done, but plan that way.

The Color Companion to the Unofficial Guide is a great book to read about rides and see pics and stuff. :)

Upvote 0

moonwishes2013

I agree with doing research. Our family went for the first time last yr. We were kinda lost, we spent most of our time at meet & greets because that is what my DD wanted to do, she was 3yrs old.
We are going back in Febuary & I am reading anything & everything.
I am trying to check out all of the Counter Service Menus, that is what we will be getting with our package. I must say that I am a little bit disappionted in the choices, upgrading is not an option for us.
Still planning on having a wonderful trip anyway!!!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
So what if you time was spent at m&g if dd enoyed who cares. I could be wrong but I've found them least crowed first thing in the morning or after dinner when possible. Maybe one character meal out of pocket might be possible. If so try to find one with a good amount of characters and breakfast is always the cheapest. Also check out unofficial guide to Disney plans make alot of sense and can save time.I think the one you are looking for is called Dumbo or die in a day it covers most childrens favorites. Happy Planning.

Upvote 0

moonwishes2013

I am sorry, I did not mean for it to sound like we did not like the M&G's, I enjoyed them as much as she did, she was so happy!! Chip & Dale was wonderful!!! I never laughed so hard in my life. I have reservations for breakfast at Cinderella's Table, & dd is going to dress up as Merida (Brave). The Unofficial Guide was the first book I bought, I love reading everything & I am checking out all of these threads. Planning on little surprises for her in the room every evening. We are going to MK for 2 days maybe 3 & one day each for the rest of the parks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom