Pre-Trip Help... They're Making Me Go...

Hi Everyone! Remember us?

IMG_5686.JPG

Let me refresh your memories... I'm the one who tends to not finish her TR's. :rolleyes:

Well. in my defense, the last 3 or so years has been hectic and has had it's share of drama.. parent drama, work drama, homeschool drama, sibling drama, oh, and a global pandemic thrown in because... why not?

However...

IMG_4442 4.jpg

Yep... it seems like it's a go.

Anyone want to plan along with us? Hope so - because I miss all my friends here terribly!

joshsprincess921

Once again, I'm so glad you are back. I have thought about your family over the years wondering how you all were. I've always enjoyed reading about your trips. I totally understand you being hesitant because so much has changed, but I think you are returning at a good time. I think your long break will make it even more magical for you when you do return! You will have the best time.

Side note...my son really wants to go to GWL!

cgersic

Oh my goodness, how grown up is Julia?? And her non-Disney boyfriend rocking a Mickey Mouse shirt! Even with all of the changes at Disney, I am still able to get excited about it, so I don't know how much help I'm going to be. Being a mostly solo traveler, I haven't had to purchase the Genie yet, so that would be my biggest fear. If anyone is a techie person in the group, let them be in charge of it and then you won't have to deal with the stress. I feel in my heart that you are going to have a great time!!

fractal

I am so humbled and grateful for all of you who reached out to me and checked in with us over the past couple of years. You are all so very special! So Magicians, I need your help. Please help me get excited for this trip! Help me get some of the magic back!! I'm counting on all of you!!

I struggled a bit before our trip last Summer but once you set foot inside the bubble a lot of that stuff fades away. Adapting to Genie+, its costs and how to use it was the biggest challenge but we still had a blast and have no regrets!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
SO glad you’re back and all is well! Your TR’s are some that originally got me hooked on these boards.
Awwww.... Thank you!
Once again, I'm so glad you are back. I have thought about your family over the years wondering how you all were. I've always enjoyed reading about your trips. I totally understand you being hesitant because so much has changed, but I think you are returning at a good time. I think your long break will make it even more magical for you when you do return! You will have the best time.

Side note...my son really wants to go to GWL!

I'm hoping so!! Thank you again! Do you live near MD or PA? I can request an invite to the GWL group I belong to. Just let me know!

Oh my goodness, how grown up is Julia?? And her non-Disney boyfriend rocking a Mickey Mouse shirt! Even with all of the changes at Disney, I am still able to get excited about it, so I don't know how much help I'm going to be. Being a mostly solo traveler, I haven't had to purchase the Genie yet, so that would be my biggest fear. If anyone is a techie person in the group, let them be in charge of it and then you won't have to deal with the stress. I feel in my heart that you are going to have a great time!!
I wish my girls could go back to Kindergarden!! He is a work in progress - we'll see... I don't want to purchase Genie. , but I don't know if I will cave as we get closer. I am the "techie" in our group - so it's all on me! lol Thanks for following along!!

I struggled a bit before our trip last Summer but once you set foot inside the bubble a lot of that stuff fades away. Adapting to Genie+, its costs and how to use it was the biggest challenge but we still had a blast and have no regrets!

Thanks so much @fractal ! It helps hearing that from you. I don't want to be the party pooper! It's just a tough time right now. I'm fighting with myself because I do NOT want to buy Gene+. I'm not that far in your latest TR... Did you buy it? Were you happy with it? Thanks again for the encouragement!!

riverside

Premium Member
the complete deal breaker were the masks. No way we were gonna wear them.
There wasn’t much going on in Disney when they first reopened but it was neat to be in empty parks. I’m not sure your family would have enjoyed it bc you’re more park commandos then we could ever be. There really wasn’t a lot to do & what you could do you did quickly so full days weren’t necessary. And as for the masks—😖😖.
Not fun in the least. CM’s were quick to scold you if it was down. I get it-they have a job to do but it was a bit much-especially when one was outside.
Funny because Hope said if I didn't want to do a TR - she would do it!
I absolutely love your TR’s but I would love to see one from Hope also!!

Songbird76

Do you follow Disney Food Blog at all? What I'm hearing from them is that Genie+ isn't necessary most of the time. If you go during a really busy week, it's a good idea to get it in MK and possibly HS, but the others don't have enough offerings to make it worth it. And if you rope drop, you can avoid it for MK and HS, too, depending on how long you are staying and what your priorities are. I'm going with just my daughter in August and I don't do coasters and neither of us are star wars fans. We plan to do the SW rides once just to experience them, but we'll have multiple days to do stuff, and we aren't Toy Story fans and we didn't like A.S.S. last time, so we really won't need Genie+ in HS. And if you are going in September, that's one of the less busy times because all the locals have gone back to school. I think you'll be ok. And even if you need to purchase Genie+ for just one day or 2, you definitely don't need it every day.

I'm sorry you aren't feeling the joy and excitement. Does it help to see it through Hope's eyes, maybe? Thinking of all the things she's looking forward to, and getting to watch HER enjoy it? What will she notice, what will she love this time?

Loco_driver

I’ve been here for the last week and haven’t used genie+ at all. Granted we are staying deluxe and had after hours tickets, but we still could’ve done everything we wanted without all that. If you’re rope drop people and are in the parks around closing, you should be fine without it, especially in September.

ETA- this week has been the most “normal” WDW has felt to us since reopening. Tons of entertainment and characters everywhere. The only things we really don’t care for now are park reservations and the 2 pm hopping restrictions.

Last edited:

annienevells

Welcome back! I've always loved your reports so much so I am glad your family is making the trip again. I hope you can find the magic! I struggled planning my most recent trip. I wanted my daughter's first trip to be magical and it felt like there was so much Disney was forcing us to plan and spend money on. But I agree with @fractal - the magic still welcomes you back when you reenter the bubble!!

tiggerlvr

I am very glad to see you're back. Your trip report was one of the first I read after returning from our first trip in 2018. I loved following your family on your travels. Looking forward to this trip!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Do you follow Disney Food Blog at all? What I'm hearing from them is that Genie+ isn't necessary most of the time. If you go during a really busy week, it's a good idea to get it in MK and possibly HS, but the others don't have enough offerings to make it worth it. And if you rope drop, you can avoid it for MK and HS, too, depending on how long you are staying and what your priorities are. I'm going with just my daughter in August and I don't do coasters and neither of us are star wars fans. We plan to do the SW rides once just to experience them, but we'll have multiple days to do stuff, and we aren't Toy Story fans and we didn't like A.S.S. last time, so we really won't need Genie+ in HS. And if you are going in September, that's one of the less busy times because all the locals have gone back to school. I think you'll be ok. And even if you need to purchase Genie+ for just one day or 2, you definitely don't need it every day.

I'm sorry you aren't feeling the joy and excitement. Does it help to see it through Hope's eyes, maybe? Thinking of all the things she's looking forward to, and getting to watch HER enjoy it? What will she notice, what will she love this time?

I have started listening to DFB along with a couple of others I like. I agree, it seems like MK and HS would be the 2 parks to use it in. I'm trying to digest it all so I can start to plan.

I know Hope is super excited to return - so yes, I think it may help to "see" it through her eyes. But... just call me grumpy about it these days...

I’ve been here for the last week and haven’t used genie+ at all. Granted we are staying deluxe and had after hours tickets, but we still could’ve done everything we wanted without all that. If you’re rope drop people and are in the parks around closing, you should be fine without it, especially in September.

ETA- this week has been the most “normal” WDW has felt to us since reopening. Tons of entertainment and characters everywhere. The only things we really don’t care for now are park reservations and the 2 pm hopping restrictions.

Thank you! That's good to know! I wish we had the night time extra hours opposed to early entry. I am really the only early bird among us - so early entry may be setting us up to fail. Super happy to hear "normal" is returning!!!

I was in WDW in October/November last year, and didn't use Genie+ nor LL at all. Did have waits for rides, but nothing longer than we did pre-pandemic. Made the most of extra hours during our stay too.

Thanks so much! I like hearing from people who haventhad the need to use it. I'm really trying to not have to purchase!

Happy Excitement GIF

I've missed your reports so much. I'd been worried something horrible had happened. I'm so happy to see you back!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! It's good to be back!

So glad you are back! I have missed you! I really understand your lack of excitement. Things are so different and I'm not sure how my adult special needs daughter will react to it all, so I have been reluctant to plan a trip. We did a Disney cruise last fall so that helped get our Disney fix.
Thank you!! I've thought about a cruise - but Ross wants nothing of it. lol Hope is excited , so I am looking forward to see how much different it will be for her this time.

Welcome back! I've always loved your reports so much so I am glad your family is making the trip again. I hope you can find the magic! I struggled planning my most recent trip. I wanted my daughter's first trip to be magical and it felt like there was so much Disney was forcing us to plan and spend money on. But I agree with @fractal - the magic still welcomes you back when you reenter the bubble!!

Thank you!! I am enjoying your TR! I am hoping that's what will happen when I enter the 'Bubble."

Welcome back! I am excited to hear all about your plans!!!

Thanks so much for following along!!

I am very glad to see you're back. Your trip report was one of the first I read after returning from our first trip in 2018. I loved following your family on your travels. Looking forward to this trip!

Thank you!!! It's good to be back!

I am down south in Louisiana, but there are 2 within 8 hours of us and next year a new one in Houston will open. That's about a 4 1/2 hour drive for us.

Awwww.... I gues that's a bit much for MD and PA! lol It is a fun place where we have really learned to relax and chill. I think it's spoiled us as far as not having to plan or run, run, run all day!

sheriffwoody

So glad to see you back! I've thought about y'all several times over the past few years. I totally feel you on the frustration with all the changes! Planning isn't as fun as it used to be for me either, but oh well. We've only gotten Genie+ one day at MK (i've taken two trips since it started) and I didn't feel like I figured out how to use it right that day....I might just be dense :hilarious: Still haven't decided if we'll get it on the next trip.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
So glad to see you back! I've thought about y'all several times over the past few years. I totally feel you on the frustration with all the changes! Planning isn't as fun as it used to be for me either, but oh well. We've only gotten Genie+ one day at MK (i've taken two trips since it started) and I didn't feel like I figured out how to use it right that day....I might just be dense :hilarious: Still haven't decided if we'll get it on the next trip.

Thanks so much!! Yes- soooo frustrating! I used to love planning and now it's just bothersome. I hope you have an awesome trip!!

dizfan917

Hooray! While Kevin & I love the WDW, we've been incredibly frustrated with all the changes and losing so much of the magic as well. Since we're DVC members, we'll keep heading down and make the most of our visits, but it's definitely not the same as it was.

We're going in July with my friend who took me there on my first adult trip in 2002 (and her now adult son) and a family friend who has never been and is SO excited, so that will be a lot of fun. Booked a 2 bdrm at Old Key West!

We're also going to Disneyland PARIS two weeks from today! :D We're staying at Disney's Sequoia Lodge there...

And we're still planning to head down for my birthday in September... so we might get the chance to see you guys again!! ❤️ I just watched a great dining review video from Biergarten... we haven't been back since our visit! :)🍻

Hopefully you'll be able to find the magic again and be excited for the trip. Having a newbie along might help (as long as he's up for the adventure)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom