Help Start Up a Vault Disney/Disney Family Channel;Please Read If U Care About Disney

trekkie

Original Poster
"I am not influenced by the techniques or fashions of any other motion picture company" -- Walt Disney

The Disney Channel is ignoring the very principles Disney was founded under and is spitting on the Disney name as a whole. If certain areas in this company ignore their principles, they stop the Disney name from flourishing.
Disney is not just a company, but also a man. Walt Disney was a pioneer whose philosophy for the Disney Company was always to entice people to enjoy all of his masterpieces by providing nothing but "high quality family entertainment." The company he built currently preaches about family, yet at the same time ignores the very aspects and principles of family entertainment upon which they were built. After all, "this" is where Disney came from; "this" is where Disney was more of a magical legacy than a
generic brand name, such as Nickelodeon or MTV. When the Disney Channel began to ignore these ideals, they helped to stop the Disney name from flourishing into what it was destined to be and what Walt always meant it to
be.

"That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don’t remember what it’s like to be twelve years old. They patronize; they treat children as inferiors. I won’t do that. I’ll temper a story, yes. But I won’t play down, and I won't patronize" -- Walt Disney

Through the “old” Disney Channel, people of all ages were introduced to wonderful old movies. It was on Disney that many first saw a lot of the Disney classics as well as Hollywood classics like the musicals of Rogers
and Hammerstein. It used to be programming that parents and children could watch together. At least the Disney Channel had Vault Disney; that is until 2002, when all "classic" Disney was phased off the air. Why wouldn't
today's generation like Old Yeller, Davy Crockett, Five Mile Creek, Mickey Mouse Club, Zorro, Spin & Marty, Walt Disney World Inside Out, Dumbo's Circus, Pooh Corner, White Fang, Iron Will, Flight of the Navigator, Tron, Disney's nature specials, etc? This is where Disney came from; films and programs like these are true family classics; and they deserve to be showcased on television!

"You’re dead if you aim only for kids" -- Walt Disney

Now the only group the channel plays to is the 12 and under crowd. Disney is about family, and once this channel was for family. Now it's a commercial-filled, mostly un-watchable channel. One might as well watch Nickelodeon or MTV.

There could have been installed just a few shows that would be popular with the young crowd, but instead the entire channel has been converted to a preteen/preschool dreamland.

"I do not make films primarily for children" -- Walt Disney

Many children today who end up watching the older classics on DVD actually do like them. They like them very much, in fact. The problem, though, is that their parents are the ones who actually want the discs, and as a result these kids wouldn‘t even see these movies if it weren't for them (the
parents). By deciding not to air the old films and television specials, the current company is not giving them more of a chance with a younger generation; a generation that deserves to know the history, the legacy, and the beauty of Walt Disney and his vision.

"The important thing is the family. If you can keep the family together -- and that’s the backbone of our whole business, catering to families -- that’s what we hope to do" -- Walt Disney

Help start up a Vault Disney or Disney Family Channel and put family programming there. What is the harm of mixing in classic Disney films and TV shows, for current and future generations to enjoy, with great non-Disney family fare? The very building blocks of this great company: its morals, its
principals, its values are shown in these timeless treasures. The next generation deserves to know who Walt Disney was. He is certainly one of the most beloved men of all time. Everyone deserves to know what he stood for. And we deserve to tell them.

Please join "Preserve the Magic," and help us fight to bring the pixie dust back to television:
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/preservethemagic

General Grizz

You have a very good cause! I may have a new means to help support it in the coming months. Stay tuned. . . and bring back the DISNEY in the channel it's named after!

trekkie

Original Poster
Thank you sooo much; it really warms my heart. If you could join this campaign, and help us out majorly in the future, we'd be eternally grateful.

I am honestly getting more fed up with Disney everyday, and as someone who considers Walt to be an idol, the current state of the company pains me to no end.

Eisner's recent trip to Disneyland and DCA, where he proved once again how totally clueless he really is, made me even angrier.

I mean, "this" is the guy in charge of it all?

trekkie

Original Poster
A few days ago, my family and I returned from Reno. And I don't know if my obsession with Walt Disney has anything to do with this, but while going up to Nevada last week and traveling down this week, and passing by all of the
beautiful scenery, through Donners Pass and everything, I am reminded of how Walt fought so adamently to bring all of this naturalistic beauty to the public. These are the very morals and ideals and "principles" Disney was founded under: entertainment that not only could be enjoyed by the entire family, but entertainment at a consistently high level. Entertainment which reflected -- so beautifully -- a deep and passionate love -- and yearning -- for America; not a cheap and dissillusioned America, but a true, naturalistic, "realistic," and country-roads-take-me-home type of America. And most of all, a real sense of the awesome beauty all around us.

This campaign has never gotten close to 300 members, and I have pledged to myself that I will work harder and more dillegently to get the word out.

But I cannot do it on my own. Please, I beg you, Lillian begs you, Marc Davis begs you, Frank Wells begs you, Roy begs you ... please: if you care
at all about Disney, at "all" about the company, pass out flyers. Promote our campaign via the signature in your e-mail. Spread the word around to family, friends, co-workers, etc.

TV Land is doing wonderfully. So is The Hallmark Channel and Nick-at-Nite. Sesame Workshop is planning to unveil a 24-hour channel devoted entirely to their programming ... I really do believe that we can succeed.

I am completely serious here, and am honestly getting more fed up with Disney every day. If nothing is done, and quick, future generations will be completely unaware of what "Disney" truly means.

And that, to me, is the most frightening thing of all.

wdwmaniac

Hey lets drop the ABC and make it Disney and maybe we will see the ratings take off. But I think if we want classic Disney we should revamp toon Disney this Jetx junk stinks.

Skipper Dan

I was browsing through old threads, came across this one, and decided that I’d resurrect it because I believe the OP was making a valid point.

NOW, RISE THREAD! RISE! RISE FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE WDWMAGIC UNDERWORLD! WHA'HAHAHA!!!! (lightning strikes)

:lookaroun

No really, 2004's an old thread... really. :lol:

SosoDude

I'm 100% for a Disney family channel. You even have to keep an eye out for some of the content that ABC Family airs. Example : last Christmas , we attempted to watch a Christmas movie on ABC Family . In the first 15 min , there were 3 curse words and 2 sexual references . My 11 year old daugher didn't get the sexual references , but when she askes what they meant , I thought to myself " And this is on a 'family' channel ?"

I would love to see the classic movies and features , nature shows , and REAL cartoons regularly. Heck , I'd go as far to say that I'd even shell out a few bucks a month to have that kind of programming added to my satelite line up.

Erika

I do too... I was just watching some old classics with my 3 year old today. She loves them as much as I do. You should see her doing her version of the Skeleton Dance :lol:

ScorpionX

Hi-ho, Kermit the frog here, the Disney Channel is now what MTV used to be - music videos and romance movies. Almost none of the shows capture Walt's vision of children's entertainment. The two things that do so are Phineas & Ferb and Playhouse Disney. They could even broadcast the One Man's Dream film from DHS every year on Walt's birthday, December 5th, just to let us Disney nuts breathe, and to show kids who really started this vast empire we call Disney. That person was a man with a dream, not a girl with a wig.

Thrill

Something that may be of interest to those of you who are participating in this effort. Bob Iger basically embraced the power of social networking, stating that it should be used in order for both the company to speak to the audience, and the fans to speak back. Perhaps you could make an attempt to move the campaign to Facebook or some other social network? With enough supporters, maybe you could get this to a trending topic on Twitter, as well.

In addition, I'd just like to mention that I'd try to avoid petitions. To be perfectly honest, Disney doesn't really care about online petitions, because they can be deceptive. It's far too easy to spam a petition with signatures, so Disney can't be sure that the signatures are all by individual people who legitimately support the cause.

Anyway, even though this thread is six years old, it couldn't be more true. Disney Channel is not deserving of the Disney name. It's just low quality shows that are viewed by a young audience, yet are contain some level of inappropriate content. Nothing too bad, but there are a few jokes that I wouldn't exactly consider kid friendly on several of the shows. Disney needs family TV.

radiohost

Show Bob Iger a channel that generates a profit and he will show you that channel. Like I mentioned in a different thread, a channel like this won't be a money maker for Disney, otherwise they would have thought of this channel a long time ago...

Unless it becomes a VOD channel, which guarentees profit with very little invested into the channel from Disney, then forget it...

Here's hoping, because I would watch this channel all the time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom