help on room card charging

Woody13

shoppingnut said:
Last time I was at POR they were going to do an authorization for $1,500, but I decided I really only wanted it for phone and dsl use, so I told them I only wanted $100 pre-authorized. Yes, you can do this, I have done it many times, you don't have to have the amount that they set.
Good point! :wave: Indeed, you may set a higher or a lower limit as you see fit (although it must be within the limit of your credit card). However, the normal limits they set for each resort class are accurate as reported.

Adreamisawish

DON'T DO IT!!!!

We were at WDW the first Monday of February. We had checked into the All Star Sports Resort that Sunday. We told them we wanted the charge privileges to our room for the 3 of us...my DH, my DD, and myself. Monday morning we visited the parks. We only took $25 cash each, since we could charge to our room.

We were only able to charge a grand total of $55 on our cards before all hell broke lose. It was at the Dole Whip place in Adventureland that it quit working. The CM was EXTREMELY rude to my DH and DEMANDED cash immediately. :eek: Unfortunately my DD and I had gotten a table with our Dole Whips and didn't realize what was going on. Thank goodness my DH had $10 in his pocket. He told us what had happened, but when we questioned the CM she told us to check with 'Guest Relations', or try another one of our cards. Well, we had dinner at Casey's and the same thing happened ...except they were more polite and we tried ALL of our cards. The sad thing was, the CM who waited on us who had to be at least 65, had to ask the Manager CM who appeared to be all of 19, if she could just approve our card because "they sometimes do that". She told us 'NO!' we would have to go all the way back to the All Star Sports Resort to clear it up. :brick:

So we were supposed to waste our "Magical Time" at WDW to straighten out THEIR error? :rolleyes:

We decided to use what meager cash we had left at Casey's and charge the rest of our stuff that day to Master Card.

The really sad part is that while we were waiting to watch "Wishes" at MK another couple next to us were ranting and raving because they had tried to buy popcorn....they had the meal plan thingy, and this was their LAST day at WDW and they were trying to use up their meal plan (sorry if I don't know the correct initials for this)....evidentally the computers were telling the CM's that their meal plan was invalid, just like our room charge. They were told to go to Guest Relations and were told the same thing....they had to go all they way back to their resort to straighten in out. :brick: :veryconfu

So....after Wishes...we decided to go to DTD and do some shopping. Once again our card was refused and we were told to go to Guest Relations ...which we did...who AGAIN told us we HAD to go back to the All Star Sports Resort to straighten things out. :brick: Once again, we paid for everything we bought at DTD with our Master Card.

We finally got back to All Star Sports Resort at 11 pm. We immediately went to the desk to find out what the heck happened to our charging privileges. They were TOTALLY oblivious to ANY problem. When we told them about the other people with the meal plan at MK they blamed it on a 'glitch' with the MK computers. :brick: We were immediately given new room keys and an apology, but no compensation for our embarrassment at the Dole Whip place or Guest Relations at DTD, who both treated us like we were trying to rip off WDW. :eek: The only place that TRIED to help us was Casey's at MK until we got to the rather youthful looking CM manager who was SURE we were WRONG and announced it rather loudly.

My advice would be, skip the room charging thing....use your credit card....and take LOTS of cash with you, until WDW figures out a way to fix THEIR computer problems at Guest Relations! :brick: :hammer:

magicstar01

hey everybody, just thought id throw my two cents in and say that i think the charge card thingy is great. My folks used to give me a limit it on it as sepnding moeny when we went away so they didnt have to worry about me and they set their own limit, being a child at the time i did have to eventually tell my dad id spent all the money but he got more put on for me! Now when i go i find it easier to budget and safer if we get the charge card facilty espically if u get the right CM that can put your park tickets on the card to! The only propbelm we evere had was with american express and i did notice that either WDW doesnt take it or that amex aint a sponser anymore, we had hundreds of problems when it came to paying the bill beacuse i hadnt paid the full bill b4 we left (which arrived two days after we left and i phoned them to find out how much i should pay) and i missed like a 2.50 charge, and amex cancelled the card whn we tried to pay for anything as they thought the card had been stolen and taken abroad on a nice holiday! so they cancceled it without telling us, didney were getting up tight cause the couldnt charge anything to us, and we had nearly 2000 bill eventually amex sorted it and it was all ok but it sucked! disney was nice enought to let us continue charging unitill it was resolved but have a lower limit. so even thought it was a bit of a mess and disney was getting annoyed they understood it wasnt our fault, they even talked to amex on our behave and that seem to sort the numpty on the other end of the phone from amex! but ive always that the charge card is great!:king:

Nansafan

We've used the charge privileges since forever. My son at the ripe old age of 10 was a pro at using his charge card. We would have him "pay" for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We've never had a problem with the kids over-spending and they were and still are great at turning over receipts so we can verify the bill. I like not having to carry extra stuff into the parks.

RickEff

I find the card most handy by the pool bars. It's nice to not have to carry a wallet to the pools. In the parks and restaurants, I usually have cash on me and use that. I don't like credit cards much. I really hate paying for a vacation after the fact. It's all the pain, and no pleasure.:lol:

Pete C

I pretty much use my credit card for everything, whenever possible...I am a points freak. I love this idea of using a room key...is there any reason for me to even bring my wallet to the parks at this point? Is there anywhere in WDW that will not accept this form of payment? Why not just bring the room key and maybe an ID and be done with it?

Oh, and does this also work at DTD?

brookskk

awallaceunc said:
I've considered using this option, but am not sure I see much of a benefit. To those who do use it: why? Is it just more convenient to be dealing with one less card, or do you like using a Disney card?

-Aaron

I love this option! I pay my tab with AMEX and they don't charge it until the end. The room is charged at the beginning but the other not until the end. You can basically use it everywhere. It can be slipped into a jeans or shorts pocket and you don't have to worry about loose change or cash falling when trying to pull it out and count it in a crowd. It is also a convenient way to keep track of your total purchases and know exactly how much money you spent and where.

Kadee

I've used it and had no problems. It was extremely convenient for all of us. I'm sure problems happen...... those computers are far from perfect, but I think most people who use it like it. If I had a problem, I would immediately go back to the resort, or at the very least call the resort from a house phone....it's free, so no problem there and get it straightened out. I would not let it ruin my whole vacation or even the day.

Woody13

Kadee said:
I've used it and had no problems. It was extremely convenient for all of us. I'm sure problems happen...... those computers are far from perfect, but I think most people who use it like it. If I had a problem, I would immediately go back to the resort, or at the very least call the resort from a house phone....it's free, so no problem there and get it straightened out. I would not let it ruin my whole vacation or even the day.
Good advice! They normally get problems corrected quickly and without much hassle. :wave:

skipperg

Considering the number of people staying at WDW Resorts using the Room Key Charging system over the past 10 plus years there has to be some problems along the way. The only problem we have ever encountered centered around us hitting the limit Disney emposes on the card at check in. Guest relations must have apologized to us 10 times for this when it happened.

That night at our resorts guest relations as I understood the explanation was that we had a $500 limit on our famiies Key Cards. We had hit a point where the next charge would take it over that limit and the computers automatically rejected our charge. They indicated that they could charge the current balance and again put another $500 limit on the card. They also gave me the option of paying off the balance with cash if I so desired.

One other point to clarify is that on your departure day they put an envelope with all your current charges up to I think midnight. You can still use the Key Cards for charges the remainder of that day. Those charges will be applied to your credit card and I believe they mail or email you a copy of those charges.

Honestly I think you stand having the same problem using a Credit Card at any time. On two different occassions I have had Credit Cards not work for me due to Mastercards Computers going down nationwide. Embarrassing to say the least and NO MasterCard didn't apologize.

Respectfully,

Joe

Woody13

skipperg said:
Honestly I think you stand having the same problem using a Credit Card at any time. On two different occassions I have had Credit Cards not work for me due to Mastercards Computers going down nationwide. Embarrassing to say the least and NO MasterCard didn't apologize.
You're right Joe. I always carry my MasterCard, Visa, bank debit card and enough cash to cover any purchase I make. Backup resources solve a lot of problems. :wave:

DeBenson

Thank you for that helpful information! I am going to Pop Century in 8 days and I was worried that WDW was going to authorize my debit card on check in. I prepaid everything and just don't want to be stuck in sunny Florida with no way to pay for the trip back to boring Illinois!

gwhb75

You`re room card is tied to you credit card. When you check out they charge all your purchases to your credit card at that time (as opposed to each time you make a purchase). You can get a statements from the front desk at any time showing what is on your card.

In terms of why you would do this, I liked just having to carry one card the whole time (I locked all my other credit cards/cash in the in-room safe). It was much easier than having to carry cash and cards with you all the time.

baz212

Just another suggestion on room charging privileges. You can use cash instead of a credit card to have the charging on your room key. In May DH and I put $500 cash as our charging privileges and it worked wonderfully. We were on the DDP and just wanted to be able to hand the server one thing for tip, meals, and alchohol. It worked great with no worries about credit card charges and we didn't have to carry large amounts of cash in the park. It was a pretty easy way to budget for tips etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom