Help on avoiding rack rates

rawisericho

Hi all, we’re planning on taking our now 10-month old to Disney next spring, when she will be closer to 2 and before my wife and I try for our second. The past few times I’ve gone I’ve used DVC points from family members but now we’re not.

I’ve seen so many posts and comments on not paying rack rates but the discounts Disney offers seems to be around 3 months before the actual stay. Is that the only way to get any discounts on the hotel? How am I supposed to plan my epic Disney vacation with only 3 month prep?

Thanks in advance.

rawisericho

Original Poster
Mousesavers.com has a list of historical discounts. This includes when the discounts became available, when they expired, what dates they were good for, and a brief description of the discount. I suggest you read through these to get a sense of when WDW comes out with discounts.

https://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/
Thank you. Yes, I had seen those and for the most part it seems they’re released between 3 and 5 months ahead of time. That doesn’t seem enough time to get dining reservations 180 days out, etc. Do most people on here only reserve that close to the trip date?

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Thank you. Yes, I had seen those and for the most part it seems they’re released between 3 and 5 months ahead of time. That doesn’t seem enough time to get dining reservations 180 days out, etc. Do most people on here only reserve that close to the trip date?
No. You can reserve now, and then if an offer comes out that applies to your dates/room, you can modify your reservation to apply the discount. If you look up a reservation on My Disney Experience, there are links to "cancel" or "modify" online or using the app. If the link isn't there or the system won't "let" you make the necessary changes to apply a special offer, you'll have to call Disney directly and have them do it.

When staying onsite (and when we're not renting DVC points), we always book our rooms at least 12 months ahead, and then "modify" to apply discounts when they are announced. Granted, we don't tend to travel during major holidays, but we've never had a trip where there wasn't a discount offered for our room/dates. There have been occasions, however, where we had to modify our room or package (e.g., upgrade to a room with a better view or a preferred location, or upgrade regular tickets to parkhoppers) in order to be "eligible" to apply the offered discount. In one instance, we even split our reservation into a one-night room-only, followed by a multi-day room-and-ticket package, because "arriving" that extra one day later entitled us to free dining. Each discount offer has its own terms and conditions.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Also, the dining reservation window is now 60 days, not 180. Given that Fastpasses are gone right now, too, the only "risks" you take in planning a trip 3 months out instead of 6 are that your desired hotel (or a special offer you're interested in) might be booked solid, or that park reservations might be gone for some parks on some days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave B

I just looked at dates for the end of June and there are only 2 or 3 hotlels available, its crazy, we booked on Sunday at 1pm, by Sunday at 5pm when we checked back Hollywood Studious was sold out and not available, the type of planing has definitley changed

Upvote 0

Rob562

I just looked at dates for the end of June and there are only 2 or 3 hotlels available, its crazy, we booked on Sunday at 1pm, by Sunday at 5pm when we checked back Hollywood Studious was sold out and not available, the type of planing has definitley changed

Some hotels haven't reopened yet, so overall inventory is lower than usual.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Dave B

I thought that too but on the Disney website it says that reservations are available for the hotels that are closed currently but opening soon

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hi all, we’re planning on taking our now 10-month old to Disney next spring, when she will be closer to 2 and before my wife and I try for our second. The past few times I’ve gone I’ve used DVC points from family members but now we’re not.

I’ve seen so many posts and comments on not paying rack rates but the discounts Disney offers seems to be around 3 months before the actual stay. Is that the only way to get any discounts on the hotel? How am I supposed to plan my epic Disney vacation with only 3 month prep?

Thanks in advance.
Using points might still be a good idea -- you'll just have to pay for them. Many find this is still cheaper than paying rack rates. This forum is sponsored by a company that could help you... or you can use your google fu to find one that can.

Upvote 0

buckeyegator

remember, when discounts, ie disney visa, passholder are offered, they are for a limited number of rooms, ie a discount at as movies is not for every room, and usually they are furthest away from main buildings, so as soon as you see them, call and reserve, you can always change.

Upvote 0

rawisericho

Original Poster
No. You can reserve now, and then if an offer comes out that applies to your dates/room, you can modify your reservation to apply the discount. If you look up a reservation on My Disney Experience, there are links to "cancel" or "modify" online or using the app. If the link isn't there or the system won't "let" you make the necessary changes to apply a special offer, you'll have to call Disney directly and have them do it.

When staying onsite (and when we're not renting DVC points), we always book our rooms at least 12 months ahead, and then "modify" to apply discounts when they are announced. Granted, we don't tend to travel during major holidays, but we've never had a trip where there wasn't a discount offered for our room/dates. There have been occasions, however, where we had to modify our room or package (e.g., upgrade to a room with a better view or a preferred location, or upgrade regular tickets to parkhoppers) in order to be "eligible" to apply the offered discount. In one instance, we even split our reservation into a one-night room-only, followed by a multi-day room-and-ticket package, because "arriving" that extra one day later entitled us to free dining. Each discount offer has its own terms and conditions.
Thank you! This was the answer I was looking for.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom