Help Me Sushi Experts

Pan

Original Poster
Our family is going to try Kimonos on our upcoming trip. We really enjoy all different types of ethnic foods and like to be adventurous, but must admit that sushi is one food that I have limited experience eating-have probably tried it twice in my life. A couple years ago I enjoyed a California roll and the time before that was over 20 years ago and have no idea what I ate.

I suppose we can order a sampler, but are there any specific items that are a "must" when you go to a sushi bar.

NiarrNDisney

Here is a list of things I will typically order at a Sushi restaurant with friends:

__Nigiri__ (2 peices of fish on rice)

Freshwater Eel
Salmon
Shrimp
Smelt Roe w/Quail egg
Surf Clam
Yellowtail
or we will order a combo platter

__Maki__ (6 to 8 peice rolls)

California Rolls
Catipillar Rolls (Grilled freshwater eel w/sliced avocados)
Cucumber/Veggie Rolls
Rainbow Rolls (California Roll w/mixed fish
Tempura Spider Rolls (Tempura softshell crab)
Tekka (Fresh Tuna Rolls)

__Sashimi__ (Raw fish served with rice on the side)

Chefs choice (Mix of fresh Fish)
Salmon and Tuna are a must

__Appetizers & Salad__

Edamame (Steamed Soybeans)
Tako Sunomono Octopus w/cucumber

__Desert__

Green Tea ice cream

Sushi is one of my all time favorite things ever! I think I have it at least 2 a month. :slurp:
I hope you and your family enjoy your dinning experience being an adventurous eater myself I understand the thrill of new experiences! :wave:

NiarrNDisney

BTW the list above is alot of food it would be very difficult to eat all of this, I usually mix up my order when I go. I would say for example for two or three people we would order an appetizer, a few Nigiri peices each and 2 Maki or handrolls.
Typically your meal starts with miso soup and maybe a salad with a house dressing then we will have our edamame and other appetizes like the Tako Sunomono that we will share. Your platters of sushi will then come out, usually your rolls first and then your Nigiri or Sushimi choices or they may even come all at once on a huge paltter or display.
Hope this helps!

california rolls are kinda safe as there is no raw seafood in there.

I have had alot of sushi, but I most commonly have a basic spicy tuna roll (6 to 8 pieces). I usually order 2. I think this is probably one of the more popular sushi rolls.

Phonedave

Our family is going to try Kimonos on our upcoming trip. We really enjoy all different types of ethnic foods and like to be adventurous, but must admit that sushi is one food that I have limited experience eating-have probably tried it twice in my life. A couple years ago I enjoyed a California roll and the time before that was over 20 years ago and have no idea what I ate.

I suppose we can order a sampler, but are there any specific items that are a "must" when you go to a sushi bar.

Order a sampler - peoples tastes are different.

Just some advice.

1) Do not drown the sushi in soy. If any a dip of the fish side (not the rice) in the soy is all you need.

2) Do not mix the wasabi into the soy. Really if you have a good sushi chef, they have already added the correct amount of wasabi to the sushi when they prepared it. If you like sushi super spicy, then save your money and order it from a grocery store.

3) Try to avoid the 'crazy' rolls at first. 2 or 3 ingredients tops. At this point you are trying to find out what you like, are you are not going to know if it is all rolled up with mayo, tobiko, natto, cream cheese, and who knows what else.

4) Spicy Tuna Roll translated to Japanese means "Lets use up yesterday's fish"

5) The pickled ginger is not a snack or appitizer. It is to cleanse you pallet between courses of fish. Start with the lighter tasting fish, and work up to the stronger ones.

If you want some specific recommendations. I would say stick with the milder items at first, then work your way up.

Non fish
Tomago - sweet egg "omlette"
Natto - Thats an acquired taste. I would steer clear, unless you like fermented soy beans coated in mucalage (I happen to like natto)
Cucumber rolls - cucumber, rice, and nori (dried 'seaweed' wrapper)
Avacado - some places serve just avacado on rice.

Cooked fish
Eel - which I dont happen to enjoy. The texture does not appeal to me.
Shrimp (not sweet or 'dancing' shrimp - thats raw) - cooked shirmp on rice.
Anything with 'Crab stick' or Surimi

Milder fish
Tuna
Toro (fatty tund)
Salmon
Yellowtail

I think most clams are mild, but they are a bit chewy. If you find that texture off-putting then maybe pass (or try only one first)

Fish like mackerel is stronger tasting. It's good, but it's 'fishy-er"

There are a variety of fish eggs available. I happen to like flying fish eggs myself. They are small and pop when you eat them. Not strong flavored at all, just interesting to eat.

Things like sea urchin, or abalone are expensive if you can even find them. Save them for your second trip :)

Pan

Original Poster
Thank you everybody for the great advice. I'm really looking forward to experiencing what I've been missing.

Jimmy Thick

For the first time, try a shrimp tempura roll.

For a sushi expert, forget Kimono's and go to Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant in New York.

No contest.

worldfanatic

For the first time, try a shrimp tempura roll.

For a sushi expert, forget Kimono's and go to Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant in New York.

No contest.

Agree with your first comment. Shrimp tempura roll is a gem!

2nd comment??????????
OK................. thanks.......... I guess?????????

Should we start pointing out all the different places in the World that has better specific food items that in Disney World?
Seems kind of useless.:brick:

But I'm still a Jimmy Thick fan.

klineski96

I know there are probably a few other places on property... but the sushi at California Grill and Wolfgang Pucks at DTD is always delicious. :slurp:

Yanks07

We always go to Kimonos and I would suggest the Dragon Roll for a sushi newb. It is like what was mentioned above shrimp tempura with some nice fresh fish rolled in. Very good. My wife loves it, I go for the sashimi. :slurp:

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I like California Rolls...Im a little weary on eating a ton of raw fish but I have a feeling my time may be up soon!

plien69

Phonedave's advice is very good. Read it and remember it. :)

I would like to add my $0.02 to his very good points:
1. Regarding "crazy rolls:" if you feel like really getting into sushi and eating it on a regular basis, I agree you should start simple. If you think this is a once in a blue moon sort of thing, I'd say go for whatever sounds interesting to you.

2. On the spectrum of mild-to-strong tasting fishes, I would place salmon more towards the strong side. Still, it's not as "fishy" as mackeral can be, and will be quite familiar to you if you regularly eat cooked salmon.

Phonedave

Phonedave's advice is very good. Read it and remember it. :)

I would like to add my $0.02 to his very good points:
1. Regarding "crazy rolls:" if you feel like really getting into sushi and eating it on a regular basis, I agree you should start simple. If you think this is a once in a blue moon sort of thing, I'd say go for whatever sounds interesting to you.

2. On the spectrum of mild-to-strong tasting fishes, I would place salmon more towards the strong side. Still, it's not as "fishy" as mackeral can be, and will be quite familiar to you if you regularly eat cooked salmon.

Why thank you.

I can see what you are saying about salmon. It does have a definite taste. But it tastes, well, like salmon. Mackerel, or King Mackerel (if you can find it) is fishy/oily tasting - but I like that (I happen to like pickled herring too). Salmon is clean - it has a taste, but not what I would call fishy.

"Giant crazy" Rolls bother me, for two reasons.

1 - You really cannot taste the fish or the rice (rice is just as important as the fish) Especially if the rolls have loads of sauce, mayo, or cheese in them

2 - Simple sushi requires good fresh fish and correctly cooked rice. Rolls require a lot of sauce. Just because there are rolls on the menu does not mean the fish is bad, but be leery of a place that really pushes the "special rolls"

-dave

NiarrNDisney

Why thank you.

"Giant crazy" Rolls bother me, for two reasons.

1 - You really cannot taste the fish or the rice (rice is just as important as the fish) Especially if the rolls have loads of sauce, mayo, or cheese in them

2 - Simple sushi requires good fresh fish and correctly cooked rice. Rolls require a lot of sauce. Just because there are rolls on the menu does not mean the fish is bad, but be leery of a place that really pushes the "special rolls"

-dave

Exactly thats why I typically stay clear of "House Special Rolls" and most Maki Rolls. They tend to be over sauced or far to complicated for your palette to distinguish every flavor.
After answering to this Thread I got the huge craving for Sushi and ended up going out to one of my favorite palces tonight! I ate far to much but I can say I loved every min. of it :slurp: and didn't have to fly to NewYork for it! :rolleyes:

Phonedave

Exactly thats why I typically stay clear of "House Special Rolls" and most Maki Rolls. They tend to be over sauced or far to complicated for your palette to distinguish every flavor.
After answering to this Thread I got the huge craving for Sushi and ended up going out to one of my favorite palces tonight! I ate far to much but I can say I loved every min. of it :slurp: and didn't have to fly to NewYork for it! :rolleyes:

I will have to look it up when I get a chance.

I forget the title of the book, somthing like "The Secret Life of Sushi" - it was written by the same guy who wrote "The Secret Life of Lobsters" (which is also a very good book BTW)

But in it he talks about how many good sushi places are now charging big bucks. In fact there is one in Ny that will run you $350+ per meal. They were started to keep out the people who insisted on acting boorish and did things like rubbed chopsticks together, stuck them in rice, and ate sushi in 2 or 3 bites.

The book then comments oh how this pricing in against the concept of a good sushi chef. You should go to a sushi place enough that the chef gets to know you. He or she should know your likes and dislike and make sugggestions accordingly. At $350 a pop, its hard to get to know the chef.

One of the greatest things is being able to order 'omikase'. Basicaly it is "suprise me". The chef will prepare what he thinks are the best dishes according to your tastes and what ingridents he has on hand. I doubt that chef Morimoto know what I like, but I bet that Dave and his wife Jen at Kazuki would know.

-dave

NiarrNDisney

I will have to look it up when I get a chance.

I forget the title of the book, somthing like "The Secret Life of Sushi" - it was written by the same guy who wrote "The Secret Life of Lobsters" (which is also a very good book BTW)

But in it he talks about how many good sushi places are now charging big bucks. In fact there is one in Ny that will run you $350+ per meal. They were started to keep out the people who insisted on acting boorish and did things like rubbed chopsticks together, stuck them in rice, and ate sushi in 2 or 3 bites.

The book then comments oh how this pricing in against the concept of a good sushi chef. You should go to a sushi place enough that the chef gets to know you. He or she should know your likes and dislike and make sugggestions accordingly. At $350 a pop, its hard to get to know the chef.

One of the greatest things is being able to order 'omikase'. Basicaly it is "suprise me". The chef will prepare what he thinks are the best dishes according to your tastes and what ingridents he has on hand. I doubt that chef Morimoto know what I like, but I bet that Dave and his wife Jen at Kazuki would know.

-dave

Hey Thanks! I will definitely keep an eye out for the book. Yeah this $350 sushi and flying out of the way for a good meal sounds like utter snobbery to me. I have my places I love (Kimonos being one of them) and I'm pretty sure the places I frequent know my likes and dislikes, therefore always giving me an enjoyable meal everytime. Like your favorite bartender you need to build a relationship & familiarity, that way they can give you service and treatment fitting to you and other guests.

Phonedave

Hey Thanks! I will definitely keep an eye out for the book. Yeah this $350 sushi and flying out of the way for a good meal sounds like utter snobbery to me. I have my places I love (Kimonos being one of them) and I'm pretty sure the places I frequent know my likes and dislikes, therefore always giving me an enjoyable meal everytime. Like your favorite bartender you need to build a relationship & familiarity, that way they can give you service and treatment fitting to you and other guests.

It is "The Story of Sushi" by Trevor Corson

It is really quite interesting. It is, of course, about sushi. However it also tracks a group of students going through the California Sushi Academy. Especially one girl and the trouble she has as not only a Caucasian, but also a woman, trying to make it in a field that at the time was almost exclusively the domain of Japanese men. I find books like that interesting.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom