Help choosing a hotel please!

ajkirby

Original Poster
So me and my better half have decided that next August we are going to be visiting the world (i've already started planning!). We're going to do a week from approx 20th/21st- 27th/28th.

We're probably going to stay at one of the moderate resorts on site, so I wanted some advice from people who have stayed here. What are the coronado spings/ caribbean beach/ port orleans resorts like? I know coronado is best for transportation (shortest bus rides to parks - which is making me currently lean that way) but has anyone been to these places and enjoyed/ hated the resorts?!

Thanks for any help!

DisneyPrincess5

Of the moderates, we've only stayed at the Coronado so my opinion is quite biased! But we've stayed at Coronado a few times, pre and post refurb, and really loved it. The grounds are huge and beautiful, food is good, great store, lobby is huge, and we found the resort to be quite quiet. Not sure if this is due to it being a convention hotel. Pool is also really fun and never had an issue with buses. I have some really heartwarming memories of waking up in the warm, sunny morning to dew on the grass, smell of summer in the air, and birds chirping. It's all right outside your door to experience unlike a delux where you're farther from the outdoors in your room. Happy planning!

HRHPrincessAriel

I've only stayed at POFQ but I find it really hard to move away from it. I love the location. I love how "small" it is. The QS is great. I've never had to wait in lines for my food. I always find the transportation great even when I stay during Spring Break. I've never had to wait for a bus in my 3 stays there and even taking my 40+ member dance team we've never had to wait or split up to get on a bus(and others were able to get on after us-we didn't hog ;)). We only had to wait 2 times AT the parks.
I also find it to be "quiet"

ConvenientTruth

Title makes me think of this....
i-choo-choo-choose-you.jpg

Couple of things...

The transportation is about the same for all three resorts, so I wouldn't let that influence your decision...I've stayed at all three and have about the same experience traveling to and from the parks.

Personally I would avoid Caribbean Beach, it may just be me, but it has been my least favorite of any of the resorts, the theme, the rooms....just not appealing (I will also mention that it typically gets voted as one of the worse resorts at Disney.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Coronado Springs or Port Orleans....both are well themed, have nice pool areas and comparable rooms.

Twhitty

I would agree with Convenient Truth about Caribbean Beach. It still has Double beds instead of queen beds. It is the largest resort ground of Disney properties, which means there is a internal resort shuttle that takes you from your buildings to the main house, pool, food court, etc. You are capable of walking but it can be lengthy. If you are looking at Port Orleans, French Quarter side has been blacked out of discounts over the last year. Coronado has a nice pool and overall nice quality but that is likely because Coronado is the resort used for business conferences.

lebeau

I have stayed at CSR and POR. We have visited POFQ, but never stayed there. The consensus seems to be that CBR is the worst of the three. It is due for a refurb which I believe it is getting between now and next Aug. Since you have over a year until your trip, you have plenty of time to follow that and adjust your plans accordingly.

CRS and POR are both very beautiful. So I would recommend picking whichever theme appeals to you the most. They are very similar in terms of their strengths and weaknesses. They have nice pools and food courts. But they are huge and you may have long walks to those ammenities as well as bus stops.

POFQ is unique in that it is quite a bit smaller. It doesn't have the same ammenities, but everything is close together. If you want to make use of the additional ammenities, you can do so. But you have to walk or take a boat to POR. Also, discounts are harder to come by at POFQ because Disney fills it more easily.

Really, the mods are more similar than they are different. You will have largely the same experience regardless of which one you stay at. Only the flavor really changes. So pick the one you like best.

MOUSEGIRL

If I had to pick a moderate it would be CBR. we now stay at the Deluxe level but I have always said if we had to go back to a moderate I would pick the CBR. If you could pick the building ask for Aruba. We have stayed there 3 times the only time we were disappointed was when we stayed in trinidad.

Skibum1970

I didn't like Coronado as well as Port Orleans Riverside. It was nice but PORS fit us more. PORS has the mansions as well as the bayou and a more welcoming theme (again, to us). Plus, I love the walkway by the river and being able to take the boat to Downtown Disney (this might not be available due to the DD construction). Transportation wise, I thought that the buses from PORS to all parks was fine. Some buses were full but it wasn't unacceptable. However, others haven't been that lucky. I also think that PORS' quiet pools are better although Coronado's main pool is better.

The thing to remember is that everyone has their own preferences for hotels. I would recommend using Allears.net, PortOrleans.org, and Buzz's Unofficial Coronado Springs website to help with your decision.

mcurtiss

If you know what you're getting yourself into, CBR is a good choice. yes, you will walk a lot. Yes, there are only double beds.

personally, we liked the theming, the pools, the food court, the activities on the beach after dinner.

miltimo5

I have also stayed at all 3 resorts.... IMHO - Port Orleans (when it was riverside) and found it just too quiet for me...bldgs were quite a distance apart...nice romantic type walks thru areas with lots of flowers and scenery... cute but too quiet and not "DISNEY" enough for me.... Caribbean Beach was nice but it was a long time ago and the section we were in was a long walk to the buses and main bldgs and theme pool... coronado springs was my fav as far as style but also, was there with a 5 yr old and the walk to the theme pool was around the lake. my preferrence is value...find them closer together and less walking after being in the parks all day

mammaminnie

I love POFQ because of the small size, plus it can be so peaceful throughout the resort grounds. Even the farthest building isn't a far walk from the bus stop, pools etc. With POR, some of the buildings can be a bit of a hike (not as bad as CBR but still a ways).

Sammy Mouse

Port Orleans riverside!
I love the magnolia bend section of the resort. We have stayed here three times and would recommend it to anyone.
There are four bus stops with one right by where we stay in magnolia bend. Never had trouble catching a bus.
The repost is quite big but we always email/ ring ahead to request a room close to the main area and food court.

Skibum1970

The walks at PORS aren't that bad to me. Of course, I really enjoy walking. From the main building to Parterre Place, it took about five minutes (could take longer if someone is pushing a stroller). I really hope that they put in the screens showing bus wait times as that would also so be very helpful. When staying at WL this year, I had some of the longest wait times and then the buses went to FW as well. That made for a slow trip to a park.

MaxsDad

I have stayed at all four, just as a point of reference. I have always had a car on vacation.

CBR was the second resort we ever stayed at, after staying at an All Star before. I have not been back. It is my least favorite, and this seems to be the majority opinion around these boards. Others may have stated why, so I will leave it to them, but I can not exactly put my finger on it.

The next moderate we tried was CSR. I loved this place. The rooms inside were much nicer, and as i understand it, have larger beds. The landscaping is exceptional, and the themeing of the different areas is diverse. Amenities are said to be near Deluxe level, as this resort host conferences often. Great pool and best slide. Good parking and transportation. Central location to DAK,EP, and DHS. One consistent complainant is the operation of the food court. However, if you are on any dining plan, I say that Pepper Market is one of the best values for a QS credit on property. I have not tried the TS restaurant.

We next visited POR. We stayed in Magnolia section. Lovely, peaceful atmosphere. Room was nice, but I prefer the CSR decor. Great grounds to walk around. Carriage rides. I did not frequent the Food Court, but the TS, Boatwrights, has become one of our "look-forward-to's". Parking is comparable to CSR. Transportation was equal. Bus has a nifty little back way to MK. Drive to Studios and Epcot is very short. Pool is themed well, and fun.

Last year, we tried POFQ. Room was nice as well. Layout of resort great. Areas between buildings is themed wonderfully to city streets of NO. The food court was excellent, regardless if you are on a plan or not. Took a boat to Downtown, and that was fun, and really beats the parking situation there. Parking and transportation was fine. I enjoyed the pool more at Riverside. Location in regards to parks is the same as above.

My wife likes the Port Orleans resorts best. I am torn myself.

Dwarful

I think 'the word is out' on PORS and it gets crowded. We were there last July/August. But had to be moved to AoA due to a plumbing issue in the bathroom. However, we noticed two things. 1). There were LOTS of Brazilian tour groups...hence the reason they couldn't move us..no rooms available that slept 5 and 2). 2nd floor rooms do not have elevators, only exterior stairwells that got very slippery when wet...so be careful if you have anyone in your group with mobility issues...i.e. arthritis, neuropathy, etc., you may want to request a ground floor room. We requested one but it could not be guaranteed just entered as a request.

The resort itself was nice, food court, lobby, etc., all very nice.

We also stayed at CSR and enjoyed that as well.

WDWoptmist

Coronado or Port Orleans Riverside...both are great resorts and it really is just up to what theming would you prefer do take a look at some picture and see which you like better. POFQ is amazing as well but the price is usually higher than the other moderates because of its small size

popcenturylover

We have only stayed at CBR on a pin offer this past December(not our first choice but POR was not available) I was really apprehensive about staying here due to all of the negative reviews but, we LOVED it! We stayed in Trinidad North which was close to everything & the resort is beautiful! Only negatives are double beds & food courts not as good as the values we've stayed at. (POP & AOA)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom