Help a novice with the new Star Wars additions

Lensman

Totally off topic, but are you a lensman because you're in eye care, or because you like a certain book series from the 50's?
I love it when people ask! (Usually they ask if I'm a photographer)

I liked the book series, though it's been so long now since I've read it that I can't admit to remembering many of the details, but the scope and studies of purely mental powers made a lasting impression on me. Amazing to think it was written back in the 30s and 40s. I discovered them around the time I started reading Asimov's Foundation trilogy.

Have you read them?

OP, why not try watching Star Wars and then come back and let us know your appetite for more. Oh, I mean Episode 4, A New Hope.

LaughingGravy

I haven't watched any of the Star Trek stuff, TV or Movies. Just Space:1999 and The Lost Saucer ( love Ruth Buzzi!) What should I watch?
I hear there books and comics, too!
Joking...avid Trekkie here.

I would recommend IV( New Hope), V ( Empire Strikes Back), and VI (Rerun of the Jedi ;) the first three released in theaters and then The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi to get you up so speed on the CGI and new droids.

Movies have changed a lot since the 70s and 80s. Watching the newer ones to me is like trying to count the stars during a hyperspace trip.
The same goes for all of the recent Marvel battle movies.

What may also work for the OP is some time spent on Wikipedia or even Youtube summary videos.
Go to youtube and do a search for "star wars cliff notes"
Both would certainly take less time than watching all the movies.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Wonder Woman is not Marvel.
Ha! I thought the OP was trolling us with that one. :)
Nope, honestly didn't know. I'm not terribly familiar with the Marvel characters.
I think it’s cool (s)he’s giving it an opportunity to appreciate the land/world better. I never really got into HP but have at least watched the movies since going to Universal many times.
Thank you. You understand why I'm interested in learning without becoming an out and out fan necessarily.

Lensman

I sorta watched them all this weekend and I did it in chronological order except Solo. I did leave out 1 & 2 and R1 though. They aren't my favorites at all.
I like Rogue One, but I agree that I find 1 & 2 hard to sit down and watch. They're acceptable as "background movies" as I'm reading and posting on this board, though. Sometimes I have to do some chores outside the room during the cringey romance scenes in 2, though.

Re: Space: 1999, I have some recollection of watching it when I was a kid, but I watched a few episodes this week and it's really tough to sit through. Strangely enough, I could watch U.F.O. all day. I had a model of an Interceptor as a kid. Too bad it seems to have disappeared.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'd rather go with this....
lol-star_wars_rock_band.jpg

SirWillow

To be honest, I think you'd be able to appreciate GE even if you haven't seen any of the movies. Pandora looks cool, and I've never seen Avatar. (Though, to be fair, I have seen Pocahontas.) If you've seen the entire series, you'll certainly get more of it, but I'm sure you'll still be able to have fun even without.

As for rewatching the Star Wars saga, the proper order is the order in which you choose to watch them. Do whatever works best for you. And then come back afterward and see which of the suggestions you agree with.

As a huge Star Wars fan who saw the original when it opened at the local drive in, and has seen all of the movies, read books, seen TV, etc., I have to say in response...

There's a lot of wisdom in that answer. :) I'm sure that someone who only knows the bare bones basics of it will still get a lot of enjoyment out of it and very much enjoy the land. My wife really enjoyed Star Wars weekends when we used to go with the kids, and at the time she'd never seen a Star Wars movie.

If you really feel like you want to watch a couple, just so you have the basic framework of what is going on, the episode 4 (the original movie) and episode 7 (the rebirth of the movies) are also the two I would suggest. They'll at least introduce you to a whole lot of what is going on and who and what people and things are.

Captain Neo

The land is intentionally focused on the new Disney produced films so if you just watch The a force awakens and The Last Jedi you will be fine.

However, I do recommend you watch the original Star Wars trilogy (Star Wars A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi) from the 70s/80s for both cultural reference and to better understand the backstory of the new films.

Once you see those come back and let us know what you think. If you wish to continue then I can recommend other Star Wars films and media to you.

Mrchips0401

Ok, not anywhere close to a hardcore SW’s fan, but have seen them all, and enjoyed them all (except Jar Jar). My immediate thought is why haven’t you seen any of these movies? No disrespect here, just curious.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Ok, not anywhere close to a hardcore SW’s fan, but have seen them all, and enjoyed them all (except Jar Jar). My immediate thought is why haven’t you seen any of these movies? No disrespect here, just curious.
Fair question. I was about 10 when the first movie was released. My parents took me to see it and I fell asleep in the theater. After that I never had a desire to see another Star Wars movie. I do like some SciFi - I like Star Trek Next Generation and DS9. I also like the Harry Potter series. But I never was wooed back to Star Wars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom