Help a novice with the new Star Wars additions

JillC LI

Original Poster
OK, don't shoot me but I have never seen a Star Wars movie and know nothing about it except what R2D2, C3PO, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia look like. If I wanted to be able to appreciate the new Star Wars attractions at WDW, what movies would you recommend that I watch? Do I have to see all of them to know what the heck is going on in this new immersive world they are creating at WDW? TIA.

ToyStoryMiss

Hello! For right now, I would just recommend the original trilogy (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi) to see how you like them, and then the sequel trilogy (The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi). You don’t necessarily HAVE to see them all to get any references, since Galaxy’s Edge is based on a whole new planet (Batu’u) that hasn’t been in anything yet, but it’s still good to have a general understanding of some things.
Have fun watching! It’s an excellent franchise.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
OK, don't shoot me but I have never seen a Star Wars movie and know nothing about it except what R2D2, C3PO, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia look like. If I wanted to be able to appreciate the new Star Wars attractions at WDW, what movies would you recommend that I watch? Do I have to see all of them to know what the heck is going on in this new immersive world they are creating at WDW? TIA.

Oh boy.....what a loaded question.

The question about which order to watch the movies sparks endless debate. I actually tweeted to Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) last year about this..............and he replied! then I got about 1,000 other responses disagreeing with him!

Anyway, just for Star wars land? hard to tell. The new movies, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi would probably be recommended as they relate most to the new land

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

The question about which order to watch the movies sparks endless debate. I actually tweeted to Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) last year about this..............and he replied! then I got about 1,000 other responses disagreeing with him!

Wonder what he'd say if you told him you were planning on watching the The Last Jedi first.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No

Anyway, just for Star wars land? hard to tell. The new movies, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi would probably be recommended as they relate most to the new land
Well.....what did Mark Hamill say?????

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IV - VI have good characters and a uniform arc

I-III are terribly written and acted...but now are tolerable in a weird way.

The Disney films are not memorable...rogue one is not bad...the others will be forgotten as obtuse and lacking any characters

Paper straw fan

It’s cool that the OP wants to check them out though. I do wonder if it will have the same effect as watching those now old movies did as a kid, or if there’s now an impossible standard to live up to.

I’d suggest not going in expecting it to be life altering, just find things you like and enjoy them. As a kid I loved Boba Fett and all the cool aliens and space battles (and Ewoks- I was like 4 years old), but I’d hardly call the acting Oscar worthy. Still a fun world to get into if you enjoy things like Harry Potter or the Marvel movies.

NickWilde

Defiantly watch the Sequels (7, 8 although you can skip that one and watch some clips online if you want as a good chunk of the movie is pointless filler, 9 once it releases) as the new land is set in the sequel era, I also highly recommend watching the Original Trilogy (4,5,6) and the Prequels (1,2,3) as well, and the Clone Wars TV show (prequel era) as there’s a character in one of the GE attractions that originates in that show. (Plus it’s really damn good, at least the later seasons) The spin-offs like Rouge One are completely optional and it’s best to watch the films in release order.

Mickey5150

To understand the new area you just have to watch 2 movies. Episode 4 A New Hope and episode 7 The Force Awakens. Episode 4 will give you the cantina scene and blue milk which are both being represented in some form. Episode 7 gives you the First Order and the Resistance which are the basis for the Rise of the Resistance ride. Both movies will give you enough information for the Millenium Falcon ride. The best part about the new land is that it is a new world that Disney created specifically for the theme parks so that you don't have to know the movies to enjoy it, although a little knowledge wouldn't hurt.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course mark also loves trolling the fans. Hes good at knowing what strings to pull.
He also has been the most honest - other than perhaps George Lucas - about “recent mistakes”

Trust the most important part in the entire 42 year history...
It’s cool that the OP wants to check them out though. I do wonder if it will have the same effect as watching those now old movies did as a kid, or if there’s now an impossible standard to live up to.

I’d suggest not going in expecting it to be life altering, just find things you like and enjoy them. As a kid I loved Boba Fett and all the cool aliens and space battles (and Ewoks- I was like 4 years old), but I’d hardly call the acting Oscar worthy. Still a fun world to get into if you enjoy things like Harry Potter or the Marvel movies.

Indeed. Star Wars was mesmerizing to us in it’s time and space. I wonder if the look/feel of them now would capture today’s audiences with anywhere close to the effect? But ultimately - the OT was character driven

I’d also argue that empire and Jedi have the “right” feel more than anything that have come since.
Defiantly watch the Sequels (7, 8 although you can skip that one and watch some clips online if you want as a good chunk of the movie is pointless filler, 9 once it releases) as the new land is set in the sequel era, I also highly recommend watching the Original Trilogy (4,5,6) and the Prequels (1,2,3) as well, and the Clone Wars TV show (prequel era) as there’s a character in one of the GE attractions that originates in that show. (Plus it’s really damn good, at least the later seasons) The spin-offs like Rouge One are completely optional and it’s best to watch the films in release order.

So all of it then??

Lol...recommending someone watch The Phantom Movie, Attack of the Pixels and The Last Johnson is a misdemeanor crime in 14 countries and 17 states 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To understand the new area you just have to watch 2 movies. Episode 4 A New Hope and episode 7 The Force Awakens. Episode 4 will give you the cantina scene and blue milk which are both being represented in some form. Episode 7 gives you the First Order and the Resistance which are the basis for the Rise of the Resistance ride. Both movies will give you enough information for the Millenium Falcon ride. The best part about the new land is that it is a new world that Disney created specifically for the theme parks so that you don't have to know the movies to enjoy it, although a little knowledge wouldn't hurt.

Not recommending empire strikes back makes me
Question your stability (I’m kidding...a little)

Star Wars is a good adventure but not with any depth in story...force awakens was a reboot....

Empire is what created the “saga” as LFL would say....there was no franchise before they pulled off that sequel. Hollywood had never really done a sequel that eclipsed itself before that. That and godfather part 2 really created the sequel market in many ways.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
To understand and enjoy the attraction and the land...a passing familiarity with Star Wars in general is all you will most likely need. If you want a little more familiarity with the particular time period in the saga that will be represented in the Galaxy's Edge, then Episodes 6-9 would be the place to start.

If you want the full, lifelong fan experience; consume all of it in the order it was released. If you include both Clone Wars series, Rebels and Resistance you should have just a bit over 100 hours of content ahead of you.

Of course there are also the novels and comics....:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom