Helicopters Over the Resort

orlandogal22

On a recent trip with a 9 day stay at SSR, I noticed frequent helicopter flights over the resort. The helicopters were flying overhead every 5-10 minutes from morning until night. One of the lifeguards told me Disney leased certain airspace over WDW to a helicopter tour company. I know better then to listen to cast members but it actually made sense given that the same copters were flying overhead throughout the trip. Anyone else notice this or have an idea what's going on? I've seen other visitors make the observation on social media.

We've seen copters flying over various parts of property for years, including after 9/11. None of this is new. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Goofyernmost

We've seen copters flying over various parts of property for years, including after 9/11. None of this is new. I don't like it, but it is what it is.
Those were nothing, you guys should have been there when the sky writing guy placed his religious messages overhead. They looked like they were over the parks but they weren't directly over them. Just appeared to be.

orlandogal22

Those were nothing, you guys should have been there when the sky writing guy placed his religious messages overhead. They looked like they were over the parks but they weren't directly over them. Just appeared to be.

Oh, we've seen those tons of times too. Jesus Loves You, Jesus Saves, etc. We're locals and APs and were in the parks weekly. (and I'm a former CM from long time ago)

skypilot2922

Been there saw those, That said you have to be a damn good stick and rudder man to fly precisely enough to form neat looking letters

JoeCamel

He still does that, you should visit sometime. They are over the parks just above the restricted zone

PG 134

The tour helicopters are the pricks who hover over at around 300-400 ft over Riviera, Caribbean, and Skyliner during fireworks. The helicopter noise gets a bit loud for 20-30 minutes straight.

Maybe one day their helicopters will fail and they can fall into the lake. Not many safe open areas for them to land in an emergency that don't have people, buildings, lots filled with cars, street lights, or trees.

GimpYancIent

The tour helicopters are the pricks who hover over at around 300-400 ft over Riviera, Caribbean, and Skyliner during fireworks. The helicopter noise gets a bit loud for 20-30 minutes straight.

Maybe one day their helicopters will fail and they can fall into the lake. Not many safe open areas for them to land in an emergency that don't have people, buildings, lots filled with cars, street lights, or trees.
Unfortunately it will take that one (1) bad mishap to force action to get the helicopters out of that airspace.

Lilofan

You should see how many helicopters with guests fly over the NYE fireworks at Epcot.

skypilot2922

you dont even want to think that a helicopter that cannot do a controlled autorotation has the flight characteristics of a falling safe.

Most helicopter pilots don’t practice autorotation on a regular basis.

Similar case to GA pilots dont do stall/spin/upset recovery training - its why i’m skipping marathon because one of those courses was available

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom